Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

47 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It's this or work, so OK.

I went on a radiation protection supervisor training course years ago. It was a great course - in Glasgow, with a trip to the carvery in Paisley every day for lunch. Must have put on a stone that week. For me, I work with X-rays so needed the training. I got chatting to the others there and a few you would expect (Babcock, for the power plants, universities and so on)...and 3 guys from Barr's. 

They use radiation to check if a bottle has been correctly filled with juice. Let me explain - imagine your smoke alarm. You have a very small radiation source and a sensor near it. All day, every day, the source produces radiation and the sensor detects it. When that is interrupted (say, because smoke blocks the radiation) then the smoke alarm goes off.

Barr's used a similar idea. They fill and produce so many juice bottles that they cannot visually inspect every one to make sure it has the right amount of juice in it.  What they do instead is have each filled bottle of juice pass through a system set up like the smoke alarm. A radiation source on one side, a detector on the other. If the bottle has been filled correctly, then the radiation will not reach the sensor. The water in the juice catches the radiation instead. That bottle then travels on the "good" line. If a bottle is, say, half filled (the sensor is near the top of the bottle) then the radiation passes through and the sensor receives it. That bottle would then go on to the "bad" line and be rejected. 

That WAS actually pretty interesting.

3 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Weird that companies making empty gestures is what gets people passionate & typing on this thread. Who gives a f*ck if Sainsburys change the name from Kiev to Kyiv.

It's more the perception of society by those in power that worries folk like myself I'd think.

The US DoD did their daily briefings.  They said that Ukraine still has a majority (!) of it's aircraft "available" to them, an interesting way to phrase it but significant.  The Ukrainians are still shooting down planes - a couple of fighters shot down today.  Very surprising given the hundreds of precision missiles fired by Russia, presumably against those targets.  Seem to be fewer, ie none, shots of drone strikes in the lsat few days though.

A couple of sobering points from their briefing - there are now 1 million refugees from the conflict and 50,000 casualties - dead and wounded, combatent and civilian.

Stopping selling Russian vodka?
I thought I heard somewhere that most vodka consumed in Britain was made in Scotland, mainly in and around Glasgow?

The GNS for Smirnoff (and Gordon's, Pimm's, Archers, et cetera) is distilled at Windygates near Methil.

59 minutes ago, virginton said:

Good to see the only voice of reason in the room shamelessly copying the same, fact-based analysis of the situation from yours truly:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/04/what-would-ukraine-russia-peace-deal-look-like

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Good to see the only voice of reason in the room shamelessly copying the same, fact-based analysis of the situation from yours truly:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/04/what-would-ukraine-russia-peace-deal-look-like

That rather poses the question of why you are dicking about on a football forum with idiots like us instead of working at Chatham House.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

From Guardian :-

The Ukrainian city of Mariupol has no water, heat or electricity and is running out of food after coming under attack by Russian forces for the past five days, its mayor said in a televised appeal.

Vadym Boychenko, mayor of Mariupol, said called for a humanitarian corridor to evacuate civilians from the southeastern port city.

"We are simply being destroyed."

If they have no electricity, how can he make a televised appeal?
Or is he somewhere else, and not in Mariupol?

I went on a radiation protection supervisor training course years ago. It was a great course - in Glasgow, with a trip to the carvery in Paisley every day for lunch. Must have put on a stone that week. For me, I work with X-rays so needed the training. I got chatting to the others there and a few you would expect (Babcock, for the power plants, universities and so on)...and 3 guys from Barr's. 
They use radiation to check if a bottle has been correctly filled with juice. Let me explain - imagine your smoke alarm. You have a very small radiation source and a sensor near it. All day, every day, the source produces radiation and the sensor detects it. When that is interrupted (say, because smoke blocks the radiation) then the smoke alarm goes off.
Barr's used a similar idea. They fill and produce so many juice bottles that they cannot visually inspect every one to make sure it has the right amount of juice in it.  What they do instead is have each filled bottle of juice pass through a system set up like the smoke alarm. A radiation source on one side, a detector on the other. If the bottle has been filled correctly, then the radiation will not reach the sensor. The water in the juice catches the radiation instead. That bottle then travels on the "good" line. If a bottle is, say, half filled (the sensor is near the top of the bottle) then the radiation passes through and the sensor receives it. That bottle would then go on to the "bad" line and be rejected. 
That's plenty !

The only thing sadder than renaming Chicken Kievs, or cats being banned from stuff are political correctness gone maaaaaaaaaaad types who search out and post up examples of this nonsense in order to mewl about virtue signalling 😂

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Or filled up and put through again...

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The US DoD did their daily briefings.  They said that Ukraine still has a majority (!) of it's aircraft "available" to them, an interesting way to phrase it but significant.  The Ukrainians are still shooting down planes - a couple of fighters shot down today.  Very surprising given the hundreds of precision missiles fired by Russia, presumably against those targets.  Seem to be fewer, ie none, shots of drone strikes in the lsat few days though.

A couple of sobering points from their briefing - there are now 1 million refugees from the conflict and 50,000 casualties - dead and wounded, combatent and civilian.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1499698448416886785?t=jTllbUjC12Xt8SjsdCW6tw&s=19

23 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Weird that companies making empty gestures is what gets people passionate & typing on this thread. Who gives a f*ck if Sainsburys change the name from Kiev to Kyiv.

I take your point but you've just got annoyed enough about people getting annoyed enough about empty gestures to post on P&B to actually make a post about it on P&B.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

It’s all indicative of our society at the moment though isn’t it. Virtue signalling and cancel culture. I’ve got a couple of Russian wrist watches, I wonder how long it’ll be before I’m refused service in a pub if I’m wearing one? I’m joking of course but it wouldn’t surprise me if it got to that.

vyYlNArToW3SzszF.jpg