Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Why is the assumption that if NATO enforces a no-fly zone over Ukraine that Putin will get the nukes out? Surely to f**k he's not that stupid? He's mad, but not stupid. 

One of the posters more informed on military weaponry can probably provide a better answer but not all Russia's nuclear weapons are big "Hiroshima style" (a rubbish comparison but you get the jist) bombs. They've got low yield battlefield weapons that they could use - or threaten to use - and that's presumably what the escalation would be to (rather than hitting the big city vaporising red button).

If you've got more of these battlefield nukes than NATO (and maybe they do) then it's a credible threat that doesn't guarantee a escalation from NATO (because how do you escalate from there, and do you even want to?).

23 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Ive... ive read this a few times now, and im still really confused. Is there a modern writer with a similar name who's been deported from italy, or a sportsman even? A lecturer at the university? My head hurts

I think the lecturer on the course has failed to MUST CONDEMN. 

This is basically the overly educated version of people who were complaining that their Muslim newsagent wasn't doing enough to condemn terrorism 20 years ago. 

29 minutes ago, yoda said:

One of the posters more informed on military weaponry can probably provide a better answer but not all Russia's nuclear weapons are big "Hiroshima style" (a rubbish comparison but you get the jist) bombs. They've got low yield battlefield weapons that they could use - or threaten to use - and that's presumably what the escalation would be to (rather than hitting the big city vaporising red button).

If you've got more of these battlefield nukes than NATO (and maybe they do) then it's a credible threat that doesn't guarantee a escalation from NATO (because how do you escalate from there, and do you even want to?).

I'm not sure there has ever been a realistic scenario where it would stop at tactical nukes deployed on the battlefield.

26 minutes ago, yoda said:

The general military understanding on nukes is that size doesn’t matter, so to speak. If I have a 1 kiloton weapon and use it, I’ve still used a nuclear weapon and my opponent may respond in kind, even if he/she only has 100 kiloton and up weapons. This also applies across brands, as in Chemical, Biological and Nuclear weapons are all a single class with regard to use and response…they are all WMDs. 

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Who actually spends the time to watch the Jeremy Vine show?! Fucking hell, we deserved to all be nuked if he's got an audience. 

Apologies, I kept the radio on after Popmaster. 

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Maybe that’s the plan. A private performance of that might just persuade Putin to top himself…

Edited by Enigma