Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I had a Greek student a few years back who had an assignment due on a Friday. He was at class on the Thursday before the assignment, and again on the Monday after it.

His excuse for missing the hand-in? He was on National Service (apparently). Flew back to Greece for a weekend of national service. I'm still skeptical if this was the case.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Do the former Soviet states have national service, by the way? I'd have thought most of them would have assumed that a Russian invasion would be a distinct possibility over the past few decades.

Not a fan of that kind of stuff but, if we lived with the constant threat that England might invade us, I'd probably be thinking that military training for civilians might be a necessity.

Conscripts make up most of the Belarussian armed forces.  I think contract soldiers outnumber conscripts in the Russian army now, they have tried to move away from that.  Ukraine has conscription, obviously now anyone who can fight is.  Armenia and Azerbijain both have conscription, they effectively operate on a war footing because of the conflict there.  I think Georgia have it.

Conscription is a bad way to man a modern army.  Most of the former Soviet states have had poorly maintained, outdated equipment and having a load of raw conscripts who don't really want to be there isn't he best way to maintain or run it.  Pre-2014 the Ukrainian Army was basically non-existent despite having, in theory hundreds of thousands of troops.  What it does do is if you have to do something like Ukraine are doing now, caling up everyone, you know that most peole will have had some form of military training so will be able to reload and shoot a gun or something like that.

41 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, we've always had characters like that, just that we'd always refer to them as a "w****r". "complete tosser", "total rocket" as opposed to a "virtue signaller" which is another of these annoying 21st century Americanisms. This type of fuckwittery is most definitely on the rise though, no doubt as a result of facebook etc.

Instead of paying for the cost of new bulbs he'd have been better contributing to one of the aid programmes for helping Ukraine citizens.

Maybe he has, of course.

6 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Ukranian journalist is obviously an idiot if he thinks anyone wants to start WW3, although to be fair he's asking the right man.....

4 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Because NATO arbitrarily shooting Russian planes out of the sky on no legal international grounds will of course protect all those Ukrainian women and children, when all-out nuclear war breaks out.

Someone has to gently break it to these people that the fate of humanity is still a wee bit more important than their regional conflict. 

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Thing is, there isn’t really a second side to this.  Nothing Russia is doing is justified.  And RT is merely echoing conspiracies about nazis, Afghanistan and poisoning drinking water. 

No, but you can hardly expect them to sit there going "Sanctions? Fair enough", can you?

For all that Russia is supposed to be the masters of propaganda and hybrid warfare etc etc they are keeping their propaganda cards pretty close to their chest.  Some hilariously fake videos of Ukrainians supposed blowing up cars in Donetsk pre-invacion are about all it's been.

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Because NATO arbitrarily shooting Russian planes out of the sky on no legal international grounds will of course protect all those Ukrainian women and children, when all-out nuclear war breaks out.

Someone has to gently break it to these people that the fate of humanity is still a wee bit more important than their regional conflict. 

'We understand that making a no-fly zone could trigger WW3 but what's the alternative?'

I'd be inclined to say the alternative is not fucking triggering WW3.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

For all that Russia is supposed to be the masters of propaganda and hybrid warfare etc etc they are keeping their propaganda cards pretty close to their chest.  Some hilariously fake videos of Ukrainians supposed blowing up cars in Donetsk pre-invacion are about all it's been.

Are they presented that way?  Much of it - Salisbury being the obvious example- is hilariously incompetent.  RT is laugh out loud at times. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

So how does this work? Is this just another way of saying we are nicking the money from your investments? 

Russia (and now Belarus) do seem to be doing a whole lot of self-harm in this invasion.

They are freezing it just now but presumably if the sanctions drag on for a while they will be getting nationalised. 

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

If Taiwan asks to join NATO tomorrow, should NATO say yes or no? What would be the geopolitical consequences of this? 

Whataboutery.

As for the other part of your comment. Personally, given the choice between living in a country where dissent gets you arrested/imprisoned/imprisoned for a very long time, and dissenting journalists end up face down in ditches........, or somewhere where broadly speaking , that doesn't happen. I know what my choice would be.

To say the least, I'm not a great admirer of Winston Churchill, but he did say something along the lines of.....

"..... Democracy may be rather shit, but it's better than the alternatives....".