Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Eu sanctions hitting the Oligarchs directly now.They have just named 25 to start with and it's bad news for Everton and Arsenal fans 

This has to be a good thing. Having gamed out the various scenarios on this, my best case and what I felt was the likeliest outcome was Oligarchs being hammered, not getting to enjoy the cushty lives and facing severe hardship, and one of them taking out Putin on the understanding that they will be left to enjoy their ill gotten gains until they expire.

Second likeliest outcome is Vlad ending us all mind you.

19 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

That video of the father and dog getting killed in front of his son.  God, thats one video I wish I could unhear.  I've seen my fair share of dark shit on the internet but jesus christ.  Also if you do happen upon it, the son gets killed later.   

Well I know what happens now!

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Absolutely, thankfully he'd never entered my world before you brought him to our attention. Is he famous or some random guy on twitter?

Russian xG and tactics?

Saw that earlier as well massively heartbreaking to see.

There was one video I came across this morning now deleted I believe of a pensioner who had the bottom of her left leg sliced off completely absolutely horrendous.

Looked liked people had moved her up against the side of a building for shelter but it left a horrible streak of blood from the severed limb.

There was a shot of wreckage of the weapon that had caused the horrendous injury and then some way off  the severed bottom of leg and foot dreadfully mangled. 

29 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

That video of the father and dog getting killed in front of his son.  God, thats one video I wish I could unhear.  I've seen my fair share of dark shit on the internet but jesus christ.  Also if you do happen upon it, the son gets killed later.   

27 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Saw that earlier as well massively heartbreaking to see.

There was one video I came across this morning now deleted I believe of a pensioner who had the bottom of her left leg sliced off completely absolutely horrendous.

Looked liked people had moved her up against the side of a building for shelter but it left a horrible streak of blood from the severed limb.

There was a shot of wreckage of the weapon that had caused the horrendous injury and then some way off  the severed bottom of leg and foot dreadfully mangled. 

I haven't seen these vids but they will encapsulate the utter horrors of war.  Not only does it involve destruction and suffering on a monumental scale but chillingly it frequently also creates in the active participants a vacuum of morality which sucks out their basic humanity.  What follows is utter debasement.

We should remember this every time a gung-ho individual who has never experienced anything more violent than a Greggs queue hyperventilates before us in the media.   

17 mile long convoy of Russian armour now approached Kiev..doesn't sound good.

Still wondering where the EU is going to buy gas and oil from in the short to medium term.

5 minutes ago, Jedi said:

17 mile long convoy of Russian armour now approached Kiev..doesn't sound good.

Still wondering where the EU is going to buy gas and oil from in the short to medium term.

I’m accelerating my plans to install Air Source Heat Pump and solar power.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

If Putin keeps up the nuke rhetoric and keeps on targeting urban / residential areas with battlefield munitions, is there any possibility that his generals / chiefs of staff could just refuse to obey and tell him to GTF?

IMO no.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear its going to get a whole lot worse for places like Kyiv once they decide to unleash the whole gamut of their conventional forces.

There was an interview on C4 earlier with a Russian International relations expert with close ties to Putins circle who touches on the nuclear rhetoric bit you mentioned, the tl;dr of which was he doesn't think he will use nukes because Nato and the US are not stupid enough to make him.