Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

This video from the 1980s makes interesting viewing. I have shared it with a few of my friends who have suggested us and the Americans join in the conflict. 

Crikey, things were different back then. 

I remember watching it at the time. A few sleepless nights followed 😬

58 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Anybody else feel like this is seeing a car accident - you don't want to look; you know you shouldn't look; but it's so compelling that you have to look? I feel very guilty, as it's almost like a TV drama. 

A lot of folk don't seem to understand how nasty war is. Anyone old enough remember Iraq/Kuwait when the Iraqi army fled and the Allies bombed them when trapped in their vehicles? 

"The road to Basra" or "The Highway to Death" as it was called. They couldn't hide it from the media despite all the feeds about high tech weaponry hitting specific targets while the janitors had gone home. Horrendous stuff, then they left the Shia and Kurdish rebels to be massacred by Saddam after telling them they'd back them up to overthrow him.

Edited by welshbairn

Regarding the Chechen comments.

Its a little bit wrong to say they killed Dudayev as he was reasonable and then out a luscious in charge. After Dudayev was killed the war continued until the rebels defeated the Russian army in Grozny. Russian authorities ended up signing a peace treaty with the Chechen rebels, which gave them control over the territory, a de facto victory. The Chechen President then was Aslan Mashkadov, very much from the same political cloth as Dudayev. The proto state failed due to severe instability and the force is radical Islamism became dominant in the rebel movement, culminating in the 2007 rebel split, between secular and Islamist rebels.

Kadyrov rose to power later and his brutal control of Chechnya is important to Putins Russia. He keeps the most dangerous and unstable part of the country under control (it’s likely that over 250,000 people died in the Chechen wars and insurgency) and also allows his pro-Russian Chechen troops to be used in various hot spots. They are battle hardened, have a fearsome reputation and casualties there are easier politically than Russian conscripts dying. 

BBC Russian have published conversations showing that Kadyrov was informed very early about the invasion and his troops are seen as an important t part of it. There’s also some suggestion that there is little enthusiasm for this war among them. If they take heavy losses or start to become unmotivated then that could pose problems for the Russian regime in a number of ways.

Incidentally, Kadyrov’s father was Grand Mufti of the Chechen rebels but defected to Russia in the second war. He was assassinated when the rebels built a bomb into the foundations of a new football stadium in Grozny and blew it up six months after construction was finished, during a military parade. I’m sure that after he died the rebels released a camcorder video of them concreting in the bomb six months before.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

"The road to Basra" or "The Highway to Death" as it was called. They couldn't hide it from the media despite all the feeds about high tech weaponry hitting specific targets while the janitors had gone home. Horrendous stuff, then they left the Shia and Kurdish rebels to be massacred by Saddam after telling them they'd back them up to overthrow him.

I'm anti-war now. A pacifist. It's the wrong folk who die in these conflicts. Soldiers are pawns lost in the game - even the Russian lads. 

Just now, G_&_T said:

I'm anti-war now. A pacifist. It's the wrong folk who die in these conflicts. Soldiers are pawns lost in the game - even the Russian lads. 

I'm hoping the Russian lads do the same as when they were sent to fight the German lads in WW1, say WTF are we doing here, and head for home.

Addressing a crowd at CPAC, Trump expressed empathy for Ukrainians and praised Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, calling him “brave” as he stays in Kyiv, the capital.

"The Russian attack on Ukraine is appalling. We are praying for the proud people of Ukraine. God bless them all.

As everyone understands, this horrific disaster would never have happened if our election was not rigged and if I was the president.

I stand as the only president of the 21st century on whose watch Russia did not invade another country.”

Earlier this week, Trump described Putin’s actions in Ukraine, where cities have been pounded by Russian artillery and cruise missiles, as “genius” and “pretty savvy.”

Edited by welshbairn

Some pretty horrible stuff circulating of white refugees at the Polish border being allowed to cross, while black refugees are turned away at gunpoint by Polish border police. Seemingly it's not happening at every border post though so hopefully people can get through.

That's the Ukrainian President asking for a foreign legion. Anyone can come and join, to fight the Russians.

Ukraine asks foreign volunteers to help

Kyiv says it's establishing an "international" legion for foreigners wishing to volunteer in support of Ukraine.

"This will be the key evidence of your support for our country," remarked President Volodymyr Zelensky in a statement issued just now about Ukraine's new "foreign legion".

Edited by SlipperyP