Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

I was talking to one of my Russian friends last night. 
She said I should not listen to the news, it is bullshit. Russia is only in Ukraine to protect Russian citizens, All the footage you are seeing is Ukrainians killing other Ukrainians because they are pro Russian. 
I mentioned some of the footage I had seen. 
It was a Ukrainian tank that drove over a car, look at the lettering on the car, it is Ukrainian markings. I don't know the difference. She could be right. 
A Ukrainian pilot crashed his plane in a street and they say it is a Russian plane, it wasn't. Could be true, I wouldn't know the difference. 
Then she said, They are only there to kill the Ukrainian Nazis, the ones who want to kill women and kids, the ones who hate Russian children. 
 surprised-sorprendido.gif
It was at that point I realised she had achieved a level of Facebook mum I had never seen before.
She doesn't live in Russia and hasn't done for maybe 10 years. It is alarming when folk buy in to propaganda to this level. I like to be open minded and pragmatic in these events and assume everyone is up to something. But to hoover up something as moronic as "they want to kill Russian children" as a defence for what is happening is base level fuckwittery. 
The Ukrainians are Nazis stuff has been pumped out for ages by Putin's mouthpieces - no surprise that gullible morons fall for it.

24 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

She doesn't live in Russia and hasn't done for maybe 10 years. It is alarming when folk buy in to propaganda to this level. I like to be open minded and pragmatic in these events and assume everyone is up to something. But to hoover up something as moronic as "they want to kill Russian children" as a defence for what is happening is base level fuckwittery. 

It's remarkably common, though. Plenty of Germans were happy to buy into the Nazi propaganda about Jews killing Aryan children. More Americans that anyone should be comfortable with believe that the liberal elites drink the blood of children. Closer to home, it's not long since some shrill loons on Twitter decided that Sturgeon wanted to kill English babies for some reason, and I dare say you'll find weirdos saying similar about the government in Westminster.

Some folk just really, really want an excuse to hate, and will jump on any justification, no matter how ludicrous.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's remarkably common, though. Plenty of Germans were happy to buy into the Nazi propaganda about Jews killing Aryan children. More Americans that anyone should be comfortable with believe that the liberal elites drink the blood of children. Closer to home, it's not long since some shrill loons on Twitter decided that Sturgeon wanted to kill English babies for some reason, and I dare say you'll find weirdos saying similar about the government in Westminster.

Some folk just really, really want an excuse to hate, and will jump on any justification, no matter how ludicrous.

She started off talking about her Ukrainian friends she has and how she hopes they are ok, then moved on to justification for what Russia is doing. 

Its the old thing of hating the idea of something rather than the thing its self. Like the idea most closet racists have that we should ban entry to Muslims because they are terrorists. When you ask them if they think people they know that are Muslim are terrorists they say no, they are cool. It's the other ones we should ban. What she was kind of saying was - All the Ukrainians I know, I like, I just don't like the ones that I have never met, or seen, that kill Russian children, that I have no evidence of. 

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They played enough games while they were illegally occupying Iraq and running torture black sites for the CIA. 

There's plenty of hypocrisy on display, but I think the correct thing to do is not play against countries doing this stuff right now. If countries had refused to play the UK countries/Poland/US/Australia back then I think they would also have been in the right, and it would have sent a powerful message to our population.

31 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The Ukrainians are Nazis stuff has been pumped out for ages by Putin's mouthpieces - no surprise that gullible morons fall for it.

Ukranians aren't Nazis.

It's also true that the Ukranian govt took Nazi militias and absorbed them into state forces and sent them to fight the Russians in 2014.