Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

23 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The scariest moment in time I recall was the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 when everyone thought there was going to be a nuclear war between the US and The USSR. JFK called the soviets bluff and they halted the missiles going to Cuba.

Even I'm too old to remember that one, probably still in nappies.

13 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Yeah I don’t think he’s necessarily worrying about it, but worldwide “celebrities” being killed in a conflict he created will do nothing for his popularity in or out of Russia going forward.

I know what you mean though, killing someone and that the death becomes almost symbolic and they become a martyr type figure.

I think it’s possible but I could see that being Zelensky himself rather than the Klitschko’s. That he is staying behind despite being more than likely to be assassinated and being an elected official will be a powerful combination.

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

That he is staying behind despite being more than likely to be assassinated and being an elected official will be a powerful combination.

I find it somewhere between courageous and absolute nuts that he has almost accepted death as head of state.

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I know what you mean though, killing someone and that the death becomes almost symbolic and they become a martyr type figure.

I think it’s possible but I could see that being Zelensky himself rather than the Klitschko’s. That he is staying behind despite being more than likely to be assassinated and being an elected official will be a powerful combination.

Very much a contrast to Hamid Karzai scarpering last year.

The UN security council just voted to condemn the invasion, with Russia vetoing it and China abstaining unsurprisingly. Bit more interesting was the UAE and India abstaining. India is a bit understandable as they get most of their military supplies and some essential raw materials from Russia, but UAE I can't figure out.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/25/uefa-and-fifa-are-too-late-russias-sportswashing-has-served-its-purpose

"That state of complicity starts, of course, at football’s utterly shameless Swiss headquarters. Gianni Infantino has already made his own oleaginous public statement, deploring violence generally without actually mentioning the word Russia or the name Vladimir Putin. “We woke up and we were shocked by what we saw,” Infantino crocodiled, maintaining an expression of textureless neutrality."

Did my mind make it up that there were some pretty hefty rumours about a year or so back that Putin was seriously ill? I remember rumours of MS or something at same time as Merkel and her hand tremors were getting press.

Is this the last push of a madman whose health is failing him, a big push in the knowledge that he won't be around long enough to face the consequences of what he has done?

Basically, who gives a flying f**k? If BoJo decides that we are going military on this, will he be doing a Captain Blackadder and leading the troops over the top? It is f**k all to do with us. If we were in conflict with some other country, would they be sending their people to sacrifice themselves?