Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

4 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Never seen it but always wanted to. I only became aware of it a few years back when this went viral.

I remember that. I think one of her young relatives appeared online to ask people to stop laughing at her.

I'm sure that worked a treat.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think they quite swiftly banned it from the BBC so I ended up watching at a CND showing at Hackney Town Hall. Totally coincidentally a fire broke out elsewhere in the building and we had to cut it short. Some stalwarts wanted to stay to the end, come what may, but when we pointed out the flames coming out of the next room's windows they relented. I assume there was a happy ending?

Only if it was a double bill with Debbie Does Dallas.

My wife was in the Observer Corps in Dundee and was one of those that would have been in the shelters. There's a huge one beneath the car park at the Caird Hall that goes right over to the Tay Bridge. Every year they would run exercises simulating evacuating everyone in Dundee into the shelters. The 4 minute warning thing was a myth, the evacuation was planned to take place over days.

However, every single exercise ended with folk in Fintry getting fucked as they couldn't get them to the shelters in time. 

9 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

No, they showed Threads on BBC 1! Don't think there was much sleeping went on that night across the UK. I think you might mean The War Game, which the BBC made and then shelved for 20 years.

Almost unbelievably, we got shown that at school...there seemed to be a concerted effort to traumatise children in the early 80s.

Enjoy! You're right I got them mixed up. This is from the 60s but not shown on TV till 1985.

https://www.docsonline.tv/the-war-game/

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

Do you think Putin is sitting there worrying that a Ukrainian boxer might get his arse handed to him?

Yeah I don’t think he’s necessarily worrying about it, but worldwide “celebrities” being killed in a conflict he created will do nothing for his popularity in or out of Russia going forward.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The scariest moment in time I recall was the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 when everyone thought there was going to be a nuclear war between the US and The USSR. JFK called the soviets bluff and they halted the missiles going to Cuba.

The US agreed to remove similar missiles from Turkey in exchange. Cuba also had a stack of battlefield nukes already equipped on the island, which the American generals would have accidentally triggered in their shriek for Kennedy to launch a Bay of Pigs mk. II. Not like American intelligence to get it wrong. 

The Kennedy brothers were among the few in the room who pushed back against the drumbeat of war. Anything that pushes decision-makers closer to the brink of either a catastrophic mistake or miscalculation needs to be opposed, as this is by far the most likely scenario in which everything goes to shite. 

I seriously hope that there remain back-channel communications between the Kremlin and the White House regardless of the buckets of shite being thrown over each other in public. 

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think they quite swiftly banned it from the BBC so I ended up watching at a CND showing at Hackney Town Hall. Totally coincidentally a fire broke out elsewhere in the building and we had to cut it short. Some stalwarts wanted to stay to the end, come what may, but when we pointed out the flames coming out of the next room's windows they relented. I assume there was a happy ending?

A nuclear attack on Sheffield.  A bit gloomy. 

The sequel was called "The Full Monty".  It was much more fun.

Just now, Abdul_Latif said:

Yeah I don’t think he’s necessarily worrying about it, but worldwide “celebrities” being killed in a conflict he created will do nothing for his popularity in or out of Russia going forward.

I'd say he's already going for the long term legacy over short term popularity as a leader. Pretty much anything that he does that restores Russian power after the nadir of Yeltsin will get a favourable hearing given enough time.

He's got no chance of topping Uncle Joe from his all-time perch though:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/06/26/for-russians-stalin-is-the-most-outstanding-figure-in-world-history-putin-is-next/