Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye it sounds like they're desperate to stay "neutral" as much as they can, which can only be good surely.

Probably more bother than its worth for them to get involved in Europe just now. Just sit back, watch the carnage, then side with who comes out the other side the strongest.

As opposed to their usual aggressive interventionist policy towards Europe?

Edited by invergowrie arab

If the cities and, in particular, Kiev are able to hold out for a few days I wonder if Putin would consider rolling out the heavy artillery. The missile strikes, on the whole, appear to be fairly targeted. Shelling civilians indiscriminately and levelling cities would turn what is already a fucking disaster into the stuff of nightmares

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

As opposed to their usual aggressive interventionist policy towards Europe?

I didn't mean that they'd be sending troops to Europe. I just hope it means they won't bother helping Russia out just now by attacking Taiwan.

That would surely be their strategy if they're in it together, to try and split the American forces across two continents. 

46 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

At the risk of learning nothing from the last week he hasn't threatened Sweden and Finland. More just asked them to think on 

"Nice saunas you have, I'm hearing, might have to pay a little visit.."

9 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Seen Minsk floated as the location for negotiations which seems a bit…risky? 

Keir Giles from Chatham House was on AlJazeera earlier basically saying this and that Putin's goons have a habit of inviting foreign politicians to a seemingly neutral venue for talks and then kidnapping and imprisoning them.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I didn't mean that they'd be sending troops to Europe. I just hope it means they won't bother helping Russia out just now by attacking Taiwan.

That would surely be their strategy if they're in it together, to try and split the American forces across two continents. 

You seem to have gone completely off your nut.

The big player in this won't be China - as they seem to be desperate to keep everyone on their relative good side.

It'll be Turkey and Saudi Arabia - for differing reasons.

Turkey can shut the Dardanelles to Russian Warships - effectively trapping them in the Black Sea/Mediterranean. Plus they're the other "big" authoritarian military power in the region (also a NATO member). They also have a weird Ribbentrop/Molotov pact with Putin going on that absolutely no one seems to believe.

Saudi because they could come out and say they'll increase oil and gas production to keep the lights on in Europe.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You seem to have gone completely off your nut.

*shrugs*

It feels like we're on the verge of a World War. The same folk mocking anyone for saying that are the same folk mocking everyone for saying Russia would try and take over Ukraine this time last week.

I don't think it'll happen because I don't think NATO will take the risk of it in the slightest, and Ukraine will be victims of it all, but its as close as its been in my lifetime.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

It feels like we're on the verge of a World War. The same folk mocking anyone for saying that are the same folk mocking everyone for saying Russia would try and take over Ukraine this time last week.

I don't think it'll happen because I don't think NATO will take the risk of it in the slightest, and Ukraine will be victims of it all, but its as close as its been in my lifetime.

Just try to think of it as the boy Putin letting of a bit of steam.

So serious question. If Zelensky is apparently at risk of being killed by the Russians, are the Kiltschko’s too given their closeness to government (and taking up arms)?

There’s something about their worldwide fame that would make them martyrs, and surely that’s not beneficial to Putin?