Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Do Ukrainians keep petrol and glass bottles to hand just in case?

I suppose if I lived near Russia I may do the same. Probably buy some weapons too. Maybe the US have it right.

The report in Sky News is the opposite, saying that the authorities are telling civilians to stay in their homes and "avoid any active military operations"

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Obviously a distressing and complicated situation. I’m far from qualified to contribute anything detailed or insightful, but the one thing that I keep thinking about is that for all their power, resources, military - the combined might of America, UK, Japan, Australia, Canada, Germany, France… and everyone else of a ‘Western / Nato’ bent, is that their only response is ‘Gonnae’ no’ dae’ that. Just gonnae’ no’.

Aye, it's not a great day for the CND. Basically if you have nukes you can act with relative impunity so long as you don't kick someone else with nukes. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Talk of Russia recognising Zelenskiy as President in return for commitment to neutrality, eg. no attempts to join NATO or EU.

That is what Macron suggested over a week ago and would have stopped this situation from ever taking place.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

That is what Macron suggested over a week ago and would have stopped this situation from ever taking place.

Maybe that's what Putin wants, but had to show the west that he wasn't bluffing and had to flex his muscles. Clutching at straws I think.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Talk of Russia recognising Zelenskiy as President in return for commitment to neutrality, eg. no attempts to join NATO or EU.

Joining NATO or the EU is a matter for the Ukrainian electorate in the first instance and then a matter for the bodies they join. f**k all Todo with Russia.

Russia share a border with NATOs biggest military power, without invading.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

Joining NATO or the EU is a matter for the Ukrainian electorate in the first instance and then a matter for the bodies they join. f**k all Todo with Russia.

Russia share a border with NATOs biggest military power, without invading.

Surely NATO would be batshit mental to go down the road of accepting Ukraine?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Surely NATO would be batshit mental to go down the road of accepting Ukraine?

Maybe, but Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and the United States are NATO members and border Russia.

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Surely that wouldn't resolve anything in Luhansk or Donetsk.

I suspect it's just Putin fucking with Zelenskiy, but if he recognised their independence in some form it would allow Putin to back off with a "victory". It would just be accepting reality, they and Crimea are never going to be ruled from Kiev again.

11 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Surely that wouldn't resolve anything in Luhansk or Donetsk.

Would part of the agreement be that those are absorbed into Russia or atleast under Russian control? Zelenskiy gets to keep the rest, albeit under the conditions set down by Putin?

3 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Would part of the agreement be that those are absorbed into Russia or atleast under Russian control? Zelenskiy gets to keep the rest, albeit under the conditions set down by Putin?

Given that I personally do not wish to be scorched from this earth in a tsunami of nuclear flames, I personally, accept these terms. It's now over to the Ukranian President, i've done as much as I can.