Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

10 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

It's been 2 days on P&B on the invasion of Ukraine, and I'm still not sure who the MAIN PLAYERS are.

I mean HERE on P&B.

Where and what I need to do/know is up to you.

Ukraine - Good guys 

Russia- Bad guys

NATO - Paralysed

UK/USA/ EU - Complete wankers.

I pretty much agree with you however Russia is trying to invade and Ukraine are trying to stop that happening.So to try and stop that happening it makes perfect sense to try and take out the airfields that are being used to help with the invasion or do you think that Ukraine should just lie down and let the Russians roll in ? 
I totally get you and obviously defending the homeland is the priority and naturally you'd fight back etc.
I just think objectively, in terms of preserving lives, there aren't many options, particularly as@jamamafegan says, Putin has indicated he will escalate as far as it takes.

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Putin has warned of retaliation of the likes we’ve never seen if Ukraine don’t comply. Now that Russia has lost nearly 500 personnel, you fear over what is to come next. I wouldn’t put it past Putin to drop a nuke on them.

If Mad Vlad nukes Ukraine then all shit will fly. And the west might reciprocate by hitting the likes of Belarus.

Edited by Highlandmagyar Tier 3

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When I say it’s insane, I meant it seemed so unexpected that Ukraine would have the capacity to do that. It makes sense militarily to do it. I think the Russians on the first day expected to have taken out most of the Ukraine air attack, jets and missiles and the air defence but it’s clear that hasn’t happened and has lead to losses for Russia and attacks on Russia proper.

Its not how I saw this developing. Russia, of course, has far more troops, armour and firepower and hasn’t deployed the majority of it yet.

Reports now of fighting in Kyiv suburbs with Russian special forces involved.

A large part of the media narrative over this has been what will we do to stave off big bad Russia, with very little mention of the fact that Ukraine might want to defend itself a bit......

That was aimed more at other countries who interfered.

Ah, fair enough.

I think Putin just expected to roll into Ukraine with ease but it looks like it’s going to be more difficult than he thought. Just saw on the news there that Ukrainian civilians are being encouraged to make Molotov cocktails and defend their city. Wild.

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

PS the Ukrainian president comes across as a badass with his general demeanour, dress in his olive army shirt. I feel like he won’t let Putin take him alive.

He was appeasing to his country, never slept. Is a though job. As he said, His head and family are dead, unless he leaves. Think about that! 

20 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Putin has warned of retaliation of the likes we’ve never seen if Ukraine don’t comply. Now that Russia has lost nearly 500 personnel, you fear over what is to come next. I wouldn’t put it past Putin to drop a nuke on them.

Soviet military doctrine to achieve breakout in a European land war called for extensive use of gas or nerve agents. Obviously don't know if this is correct or where I read it but the Sovs never recognised gas as a WMD and there were suspicions the Russians were at least prepared to use it in Chechnya I think. 

Ukrainian MOD has said that territorial defence units are fighting RUssians in the capital.  The territorial defence units are armed militias.  They have also said that people in Obolon district, where fighting is ongoing, should remain in their houses and "prepare Molotov cocktails".

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We're fine, thanks. How are you?

Terrified. I'm going full WHAT THE f**k! You Europeans love a war.......Looking at history (what I love), 80 years shacking hands. Longest time since we had a tare up.

I'm just lucky, sitting on the sides (with family) nobody involved. YET

24 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Ah, fair enough.

I think Putin just expected to roll into Ukraine with ease but it looks like it’s going to be more difficult than he thought. Just saw on the news there that Ukrainian civilians are being encouraged to make Molotov cocktails and defend their city. Wild.

I can see that working.