Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a toxic waste site.

Well yeah, but it now gives Russia a, relatively, clear shot at Kiev by the shortest possible route they can take. Going around it would add time and risk.

They also now have the added bonus of everyone shitting themselves they'll do something stupid with it if anyone tries to get involved, I guess.

Wishful thinking but what’s the likelihood Putin withdraws troops over the coming days? Is it greater than 0%? Looks like the leaders of France and India have spoken to him directly asking him to stop. Could the sizeable protests in Russia lead to a re-think? 

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So far all they seem to have won control over is Chernobyl, quite the prize. 

Russia living so far in the past they probably still thought it was a functional plant.

Edited by red23

2 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Wishful thinking but what’s the likelihood Putin withdraws troops over the coming days? Is it greater than 0%? Looks like the leaders of France and India have spoken to him directly asking him to stop. Could the sizeable protests in Russia lead to a re-think? 

I'd say exactly zero if he stays in power, which he probably will.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So thats us had a worldwide plague threatening humanity, and now WW3. Guess the next question is what comes in the next couple of years. A major, planet threatening natural disaster or an alien invasion?

Knowing our luck Scotland qualify for the World Cup just as it ends.

18 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Between 1944 and 1950 a nationalist Ukrainian army fought against the Soviets in Western Ukraine. This was when Stalin's NKVD was all powerful.

Our recent adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan saw the effectiveness of a partisan movement in causing significant damage to an occupying force, whether that is Terry Taliban or Islamic fundamentalists.

The Russian Army may appear to win this war but a Ukrainian partisan movement would drain their resources for years.

Putin's actions remind me of Milosevic in Serbia. Milosevic rode the Serb nationalist tiger to power but was quite prepared to jettison protégés like the Krajina Serbs in Croatia when it suited him. Milosevic's ultimate undoing was that he was a gambler and Vlad has never struck me as being a gambler. This is ultimately about keeping Putin in power, no doubt he was alarmed by the protests against his wee pal Lukashenko in Belarus and the possibility of similar protests spreading. But it seems a gamble if a Ukrainian resistance movement leads to Russian soldiers coming back in coffins and this is the puzzle to me as I said Putin doesn't strike me as a gambler. Perhaps he has gone senile like Breznhev and Chernenko before him 

Getting high on his own supply. 

33 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Just watching the various news takes on this and note that Anne Lundon is now Anne McAlpine.

Hamish has done very well for himself.

Ach fair play. As a former Rovers Hamish is ok. I was worried she’d tied the knot with Sir Robert.

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The classic error of winning the battle but losing the war.

If this is how it transpires, it will be utterly humiliating for Putin and will serve as yet another reminder that in most cases, the wee guy usually always ends up winning against a seemingly overwhelming enemy. Vietnam, Cuba, France in the 40s, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Korea, Somalia, Russia itself - at least 3 times, almost every empire the world has ever seen - you name it Roman, Ottoman, Mongol, Greek, British, French, Belgian, Dutch, Japanese, the list of failures is incredible. Do NONE of these aggressors read history and think to learn from it? People don't like to be ordered about and will go to extraordinary lengths to keep their way of life.

Ukraine could well become ungovernable and if so it could well finish Putin as a political force.

You have a point but using the Roman and Ottoman empires doesn't really help your argument unless you're suggesting Ukraine hangs in there for centuries.

Twitter wild just now with bollocks etc., but the rumours that Russian artillery hit the actual Chernobyl dome is spreading like f**k just now. Others saying that the amount of activity on the land with tanks etc., had chucked a tonne of radioactive dust into the atmosphere.

You can check the radiation levels online and, erm, its not good.

FMZicPjWYAASEAW?format=jpg&name=large

Been nice knowing you all.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Twitter wild just now with bollocks etc., but the rumours that Russian artillery hit the actual Chernobyl dome is spreading like f**k just now. Others saying that the amount of activity on the land with tanks etc., had chucked a tonne of radioactive dust into the atmosphere.

You can check the radiation levels online and, erm, its not good.

FMZicPjWYAASEAW?format=jpg&name=large

Been nice knowing you all.

Not good for Aberdonians once again.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I find it strange that I care more about this invasion than about, say, the war in Syria. Closer to home I suppose and it’s an invasion which feels more outrageous. People going about their lives and then getting bombed and shelled. It’s not on. 

More relatable.  You could imagine Scotland playing Ukraine in Kiev, and it being similar to some other away match in Europe.

People in war torn countries also try to do ordinary things on a daily basis but if it so different to here, it is more difficult to relate to.

35 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Did the Indian leader plead with Putin not to hurt the cows?

Offered to outsource his army "for every 1 russian solider we can supply 10 indian soldiers for same price" 24/7 round the clock service.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Seem to recall that they always voted for each other in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Trivial, I know, but telling.

So did the countries of the former Yugoslavia.  Constantly at war with each other but when not doing that quite happy to have a sing-song together.

Conversely the U.K. must be a very safe place because it never gets anywhere in Eurovision nowadays. 

The increased radiation at Chernobyl is due to dust lying on the ground being kicked up by troops going through, apparently. Purely a local issue. Not great news if you are a soldier there or one of the workers held hostage.