Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

I would imagine the vast majority of the Russian population would be against what Putin has done.....it would be great to see millions take to the streets and a real revolution with large numbers of police and military swapping sides (so to speak)
I know a few Russians who are on facebook and have all added Ukrainian flags to their profiles.  Maybe, just maybe the people can drive real change...........

It would be nice but just can't see it - not unless the military think he's gone too far - but they seem to be a willing tool in Putin's foreign policy.

I don't think there’s going to be a Ceaușescu style uprising in this case.

So thats us had a worldwide plague threatening humanity, and now WW3. Guess the next question is what comes in the next couple of years. A major, planet threatening natural disaster or an alien invasion?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

So thats us had a worldwide plague threatening humanity, and now WW3. Guess the next question is what comes in the next couple of years. A major, planet threatening natural disaster or an alien invasion?

Amazon paying taxes.

The idea of Putin being overthrown is a fantasy. It won’t happen. The only circumstance that it could happen is if the Ukrainian Army defeat Russia or at least big them down with thousands of casualties. And that is highly, highly unlikely. It isn’t going to happen.

I feel a bit emotional seeing the protests in Russia. Considering the number of arrests, very brave from the people there. I think a lot of Russians see Ukrainians as their brothers, you hear a lot of “we are one people” stuff from them and Putin even said that in his speech the other night. So even if they don’t like the west or the Ukrainian government many Russians won’t be supportive of a war.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The idea of Putin being overthrown is a fantasy. It won’t happen. The only circumstance that it could happen is if the Ukrainian Army defeat Russia or at least big them down with thousands of casualties. And that is highly, highly unlikely. It isn’t going to happen.

I feel a bit emotional seeing the protests in Russia. Considering the number of arrests, very brave from the people there. I think a lot of Russians see Ukrainians as their brothers, you hear a lot of “we are one people” stuff from them and Putin even said that in his speech the other night. So even if they don’t like the west or the Ukrainian government many Russians won’t be supportive of a war.

Seem to recall that they always voted for each other in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Trivial, I know, but telling.

I find it strange that I care more about this invasion than about, say, the war in Syria. Closer to home I suppose and it’s an invasion which feels more outrageous. People going about their lives and then getting bombed and shelled. It’s not on. 

55 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Largest foreign currency + gold reserves by country.

1. China
2. Japan
3. Switzerland
4. Russia

An interesting (although the PIIE article is dated) take on that figure:

Edited by yoda

There will be only one winner in all of this - realpolitik.  Putin appears crazed on a cocktail of anger and the adrenalin of military power but despite his deranged oratory today I think he will at this stage stop short of a violation of any of the Nato countries bordering Russia.  The hand-wringing, verbal bombast and sanctions from most of the world's leaders will continue, but the reality will be the disappearance of Ukraine as a sovereign state, in tandem with the West becoming preoccupied with a seismic shock to the global economic system, and especially now-fragile energy supplies to central Europe.

Putin will have achieved his bloody aim, in the process setting down a powerful marker by highlighting the impotence of the West in his backyard.  It's a question just what would Nato do should Russia make moves on the Baltic states, for example.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I find it strange that I care more about this invasion than about, say, the war in Syria. Closer to home I suppose and it’s an invasion which feels more outrageous. People going about their lives and then getting bombed and shelled. It’s not on. 

Media induced racism. Sad to see. 

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The Syrian war was and still is hugely complex, the people who looked like the goodies turned out to be baddies, and vice versa. This is fairly black and white for most people.