Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

I believe he has miscalculated the opinion from within Russia for a war v Ukraine

Where are you getting that from?

We all know what happened to Hitler, Saddam and Ghaddafi. It never ends well. In the end they are taken out eventually.

For every Hitler, Hussein and Ghaddafi, there's a Stalin, Amin or Pot who come to a natural end.

10 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

I'm not sure an full-scale invasion will take place. Obviously I'm not privy to intelligence and I'm speculating, but I think Russia will only want a few strategic areas - maybe land to the north of Crimea so they can resolve the water problem there, retake the full territory of the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts, and maybe Odessa. 

Other eastern oblasts, where Russian is spoken, may also seek independence, so they could be added, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

If they do take other territory, I think they'd struggle to maintain it, so besides hunting war criminals I can't see the point.

Aged like warm fish, this one.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm loving the ability of some posters to make a Russian invasion of Ukraine all about what the UK did in another part of the world 20-30 years ago.

Do you not think that westward expansion of NATO and the USA assuming the right to make war/ do coups anywhere led to this?

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm loving the ability of some posters to make a Russian invasion of Ukraine all about what the UK did in another part of the world 20-30 years ago.

The shit that went on in Magaluf was fucking brutal.

8 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I wonder if this is how the world felt when UK/US forces were invading Afghanistan and Iraq? 🤔 I remember the protests in London and other cities, and of course the 'sexed up' intelligence...

Not sure your point. Apart from trying to occupy the moral high ground 🤔. I for one was not happy we went to war in Iraq or Afghanistan. I am anti war full stop. 

Presumably his plan here is to make Ukraine submit "willingly"?

Seemingly only targeting military buildings just now, to completely disable them, to try and make them just hand over power?

Decades of posturing, from both sides, about their nuclear weapons, was inevitably leading to a stage where one side were just going to gamble on the other backing down when it came to it. I guess Putin thinks the US don't value Ukraine higher than humanity so know there's no real way of anyone stopping them.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Do you not think that westward expansion of NATO and the USA assuming the right to make war/ do coups anywhere led to this?

So what you are saying is that the invasion of Ukraine is justified.  Wow…

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It’s disingenuous nonsense. All about appearing to be right in every circumstance.  

On 22/02/2022 at 17:55, virginton said:

The Sudetenland was under firm Czechoslovak state control in 1938, until Britain and France produced an ultimatum to surrender the territory to Germany or face no support in an armed conflict. 

This is not an analogous situation. Ukraine lost control of the breakaway republics way back in 2014 and has failed to reassert its sovereignty. Putin has simply recognised a scenario that has existed de facto ever since then. That scenario was supported by Russian interference all along - now that's being consolidated in place of the Minsk agreement..

The reality is that Russia has lost far, far more in the past ten years that it can hope to gain. The Maidan revolution was disastrous for Putin, and bringing two tinpot rump provinces under Russia's fold is a paltry compensation prize. 

Bit more like it now right enough. That was him just dipping the toe in the water the other day, he's dived in now.

38 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Sky News - No we didn't know anything more than that when I made the post.

It was the reporters own words, "things are going on as normal, kids are going to school".

In bold - I don't live a cave m8, I also have the internet same as you. 😆

so you don't believe or have not seen the reports, images and footage of land movements and incursions across Belarus/Ukraine border points? 

7 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Invade Taiwan?

I was reading the other day that there are quite a few voices in China saying this. Russia's actions here are likely inspiring to any Chinese that see Taiwan as their property.

Putin has always been a weird despotic type but this is just mental.

While NATO has been building up infrastructure/weaponry around Russia for years (hence their desire to stop Ukraine from going the same way) - and there has been a miscalculated refusal to negotiate with Russia on basically anything from Western nations - this is a conpletely unprovoked attack from Russia. They claim they have no interest in occupation, but that seems unlikely just now. 

Really feel for the Ukrainians, I see there are a lot fleeing the major cities. I saw a couple of nations have put Ukrainian Nationals in some form of "express" queue for immigration. I wonder if we'll do the same.

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Yeah it's hilarious. In the real world this is pretty much nothing to do with the UK, but they need to find some kind of angle to put it on the Big Bad Brits.  

I think the invention of gunpowder and the collapse of the Ottoman Empire led to this, but it's hardly what the focus should be on right now.

4 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Really feel for the Ukrainians, I see there are a lot fleeing the major cities. I saw a couple of nations have put Ukrainian Nationals in some form of "express" queue for immigration. I wonder if we'll do the same.

From memory of trips to Kyiv and Dnipro in 06 and 07 - any female in their 20s/30s welcome, those neo-nazis that attacked our fans less so.  We'll see if some of them are brave enough to fight when it really matters.

Edited by tarapoa

12 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

You see this sort of thing a lot from British and American commentators, who seem unable to work out that not everything in the world revolves around them.  The classic is "Ooh you said Trump was in hoc to the Russians but they waited until Biden came into office to invade".  Russia have launched four major wars under Putin - Chechnya in 2000, Georgia in 2008 when Bush Jr was president, Ukraine in 2014 and Syria in 2015 under Obama.  

Televised address from Boris Johnson at 11am, apparently.