Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

52 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk were all effectively free of Kiev rule anyway, then what's the point of Putin's announcement this week? Is it just grandstanding? Is the reality of these areas not basically status quo ante bellum?

Hopefully that's the extent of his ambitions, it could be he's looking further than that. The big build up of his Navy in the Black Sea would suggest he's not ruled out holidays in Odessa or at least Mariupol. 

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/02/massive-russian-navy-armada-moves-into-place-off-ukraine/

lot31-_3503277a.jpg?imwidth=900

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hopefully that's the extent of his ambitions, it could be he's looking further than that. The big build up of his Navy in the Black Sea would suggest he's not ruled out holidays in Odessa or at least Mariupol. 

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/02/massive-russian-navy-armada-moves-into-place-off-ukraine/

lot31-_3503277a.jpg?imwidth=900

He's effectively invaded Belarus. Right on the Baltic states. Russian nuclear weapons will be in there within the week.

The only thing to be thankful about in this sorry debacle is the absence of Trump. 
I'm not sure I'd agree with this.
Biden has struck me as being a bit senile.
Trump's tendency to be a 'Maverick' ironically brought a bit of stability IMO - On the International stage anyway.
2018 N Korea summit would be an example.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this.
Biden has struck me as being a bit senile.
Trump's tendency to be a 'Maverick' ironically brought a bit of stability IMO - On the International stage anyway.
2018 N Korea summit would be an example.

Yeah Trump was America first, he was an isolationist who wanted nothing to do with foreign wars.
Sleepy Joe is much more war like.

9 hours ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Has good old Blighty announced what sanctions they're implementing yet or are they still trying to untangle that dark money web to avoid targeting some Tory party donor ?

We could call in their council tax debt in London.

12 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yeah Trump was America first, he was an isolationist who wanted nothing to do with foreign wars.
Sleepy Joe is much more war like.

Did Trump not end some of their "campaigns" in the Middle East?

Sure there was a some "crisis" and instead of just launching bombs at it he refused and it ended up resolved without as much bloodshed as there could've been.

Trump was many things but, in this particular instance, he'd be a better person to be in charge than Biden if we want to avoid a major war.

I mean, apart from all the drone strikes, the loosening of the 'terms of engagement' in Afghanistan, the bombing of Syria and attempted coup in Venezuela, I suppose Trump never wanted anything to do with foreign wars.

Trump ripped up the Iran nuclear deal and took sides in the Sunni v Shia proxy war in the Middle East. He started economic warfare against China and Iran. He attempted coups in Venezuela. He pissed on the Palestinians by moving the Embassy to Jerusalem and putting his son-in-law in charge of "peace negotiations". He kept troops in Syria after he was told the territory they were guarding had some oil. He stopped any other Afghans being involved in withdrawal negotiations with the Taliban. etc...etc...

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm pretty sure they're well aware of the history.

They're Americans and this is not a country founded in 1776. The chances are extremely high that they don't even know what continent their embassy is located in.

The tweet isn't for internal consumption, it's gone down very well with the demographic it was aimed at.

And it will also go down very well with Vlad and the gang, who argue that Russia's roots as a nation belong in the Kiev region, and so it is time to reverse the Leninist concession of a distinct nationality. 

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

He's effectively invaded Belarus. Right on the Baltic states. Russian nuclear weapons will be in there within the week.

The word 'effectively' doing a superhuman level of heavy lifting in this claim, given that Belarus' government is entirely on board and partners with the Russian regime. 

I'm sure those Russian nuclear weapons will pose a tremendous threat compared to the literal global nuclear encirclement that NATO has already put in place. 

The island of Ireland was and in part still is integral to the UK, so international law isn't really applicable in that context. Check out Spain and Catalonia on referenda for what that means in practical terms in the present day. What won't be talked up in the western media is how the recognition of Kosovo as independent set a dangerous precedent in a European context.