Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I can see the Russians point though, they always saw the Crimea as Russian and the majority there wanted to be Russian

There was certainly a decent turnout in the referendum, 123% in Sevastopol for example. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I've seen movies about the US fighting the Russians and the Russians are definitely the baddies. Drago had a treadmill and PEDs and Rocky only had a side of beef. Then Rocky teamed up with the mujahideen and took out a whole Rusky tank batallion with some horses, rifles and a bow and arrow. 

I expect this is probably more intellectually rigourous than Fox news' take anyway. 

Yes, the other "good guys" who we trained and supplied with weaponry when they were our pals fighting nasty Ivan but of course that one also came back to bite us when they morphed into Al Qaeda, they suddenly weren't such "good guys" after all.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Fife saw off the Romans. We don’t need the rest of the country anyway. 

The legionary camps along the Gask ridge and on the river Tay say otherwise.

The Romans knew a barren wilderness when they saw it, which is why the greatest extent of their civilisation included the southern banks of the Clyde/Forth and not the pointless savagery beyond it. 

greggy.png.f5fc42fb214fc88c1833fad45fb31781.png

40 minutes ago, virginton said:

The legionary camps along the Gask ridge and on the river Tay say otherwise.

The Romans knew a barren wilderness when they saw it, which is why the greatest extent of their civilisation included the southern banks of the Clyde/Forth and not the pointless savagery beyond it. 

greggy.png.f5fc42fb214fc88c1833fad45fb31781.png

Nah, the caledonii were just hard as nails compared to the subservient and cowardly southerners who rolled over at the mere sight of a spear. 

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I did check to see if any Fife teams had ever played Roma or Lazio and I have my doubt your claim there is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venicones

Not much info I've found on who lived in Fife during the Roman incursions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_during_the_Roman_Empire

I've not read up much about the Romans in Scotland, it looks like an interesting subject. From the article the Roman explorers reached Orkney and traveled down the west coast not a lot of evidence that any armies stopped of in Sutherland for a pint in the Railway Hotel. I would guess had they landed in Dingwall and invaded the Mallard they would have been seen off by the local plod with the help of some tear gas. 

Off topic, on my travels around Google looking for info on Romans in Fife from any angle I found out that Dunfermline Athletic have the highest percentage for success in European competition at 1.65 points per game where as the rest led by some Glasgow diddy pub outfit have only 1.56 points per game, source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_clubs_in_international_competitions

It has been about 25 years since studying that stuff at university so I’m no authority on the matter now! The occasional snowfall would show up Roman roads and camps around North Fife (from aerial pics). I suppose the Romans had had a long trip and the last thing they wanted to do was then deal with a bunch of Fifers. Where I live is an ideal spot from which to repel anyone crossing the Forth (still is given the alarming incidence of gun ownership around here).

21 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Anybody who believes the lies of the US and the U.K. is clueless.

Russia is not going to invade Ukraine 

You have to hope so, but you also have to wonder why they've sealed off most of the Ukrainian coast for war games, alongside others in Belarus, and moved mechanised battalions from all over to Crimea and close to the Russian/Ukrainian border. The only answer given is it's their country, they do what they like. And simultaneously demand that NATO stop cooperating with Romania and Bulgaria. If they're not going to invade Ukraine they're not shy of making the threat clear. Not a nice thing to do to old comrades.