Cove Sevco v The Jelly Beans

Sending off had an impact on the game clearly and thereafter Cove dominated play, getting into some promising positions in the final third but didn't do enough or had the quality to fashion clear cut chances. Best one fell to Rory with a couple of minutes left only for him to put it sailing over the bar.

Queen's resolute in their shape second half and deservedly took a point.

Rory did ok when he came on but all the other subs today didn't positively change the game. 

3 straight draws now for Cove and the gap is reduced 5 points with a difficult game upcoming next week.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

For the record, Longstaff has been poor since arriving at QP. His 2 goals on Tuesday doesn’t excuse the fact he’s been bang average every game this season. I need to see it back but the 2nd yellow looked beyond harsh. Regardless though, Longstaff doesn’t offer much.  

Happy to see Jack Thomson hooked at half time. Stunned he gets a game. Other boys deserve to be out there. 

Class from the rest though👍 Great fight and desire to take something from the game. Right up against it going down to 10 men.

Enjoyed watching Tommy today, great effort and drive. Big Foxy too.

Tell you what, win our game in hand against Peterhead and Montrose aren't far away… 

Edited by QPSpider1867

What a superb point that is. Was going into that second half fully expecting Cove to batter us but we changed to 5 at the back and other than a late McAllister chance, we did remarkably well with limiting them to very few clear opportunities on goal. 

Anyone from that backline could of got man of the match but I’ll give it to Robson. A real resurgence in form the past month and it’s even more pleasing to see his defensive game improve. Ferrie  brings so much confidence to the backline with his shot stopping ability and superb handling. It’s no surprise that since his introduction to the team that Robson and Kilday’s individual performances have seen great improvement. 

Agree with the comment about Jack Thompson. He’s just not doing it for me and I’m hoping he’s just a squad filler at best next season. Too many occasions he gives the ball away cheaply to then give away dangerous fouls. He’s been at fault for a fair few goals this season. Liked what I seen from Dylan Reid’s cameo so hopefully he gets the nod next week. Louis longridge also looks a bit out of sorts so would be tempted to get Ronan Darcy on the pitch from the start next week

3 points clear of Falkirk with a superior goal difference. They travel to cove next week, whilst we play East Fife. A real opportunity to try and potentially extend the gap between the teams. It’s going to be a tense finish to the season that’s for sure

Agree fully with the comments on Thomson and Longstaff but you can add the rest of the midfield to the list too. A combination of wasteful passes and being easily intimidated let Cove into the game after a very promising opening 20 mins. The sending off settled the pattern for the rest of the game, although it could easily be argued that having Longstaff out changed nothing. Still, it left a spare man over for Cove which added to the challenge.

Defending is part of the game and it definitely looked as though we were set-up for a draw. The defence has looked in control up until Longstaff left and all the credit for the point must go to them. Pleased to read Robson is finally getting some applause. He’s been outstanding most of the season, especially going forward. The entire midfield didn’t match his power end energy today.

Cove had chances but mostly of the half variety. As the game wore on it felt like I was watching many of our games this season but in reverse. We were the underdogs and they the underachievers.  Playing the champions in waiting at their place, with 10 men for the most part, and keeping a clean sheet is a great effort. Just need the front half of the team to do their bit. 

17 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Looked harsh from my angle side on but maybe was a deserved yellow. Need to see highlights

Having watched the highlights it was a bit of a late indisciplined challenge for the second yellow. Not something you can afford to do when already booked.

https://youtu.be/4EQnK-LADi8

3 hours ago, behindthelens said:

The ref 100% forgot he was already booked. His assistant has told him it’s a 2nd yellow. That delay is very awkward.

Had to look twice when I seen a squad addition from Liverpool but I won’t be so naive in the future. The club they’re coming from means hee-haw. 

In the spirit of full disclosure, I may have aimed a few profanities at the ref on Saturday. And the Cove number 2. And Paul Hartley (well, obviously). I only had a couple of beers as well. I will try to be a better person next week at Methil but I doubt I'll manage it 😉

Thought the sending off was soft at the time but feeling a bit daft watching the highlights back as it was a really stupid foul when on a booking. In my defence, the view on the far side of the ground with the sun in our eyes isn't the best. Fair play to the team in the second half for digging out a great point. Defence was so disciplined as a unit, hardly put a foot wrong. Nothing spectacular from Ferrie this week but his handling and command of his area was faultless. At last a draw we can be happy with ( since the last game up there in similar circumstances) OK they missed a couple of good chances but Beuker and Potter got our formation and tactics spot on second half. Wise move to take off Thomson at HT when he was on a booking. Reid looked a player when he came on, I'd give him a start this Saturday    

Edited by Mick1867

36 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Thought the sending off was soft at the time but feeling a bit daft watching the highlights back as it was a really stupid foul when on a booking. In my defence, the view on the far side of the ground with the sun in our eyes isn't the best. Fair play to the team in the second half for digging out a great point. Defence was so disciplined as a unit, hardly put a foot wrong. Nothing spectacular from Ferrie this week but his handling and command of his area was faultless. At last a draw we can be happy with ( since the last game up there in similar circumstances) OK they missed a couple of good chances but Beuker and Potter got our formation and tactics spot on second half. Wise move to take off Thomson at HT when he was on a booking. Reid looked a player when he came on, I'd give him a start this Saturday 

Agree with all this. Ferrie generates a lot of confidence commanding his area. Agree also with the recent comments on Robson's effectiveness. Substitutions and change of shape were spot on, and showed boldness going with McBride and Quitongo together. 

If they can find a way of playing together then Darcy, Brown and Connell could be formidable.

Just watched the highlights and we looked much better than I remembered in the first half. After taking his time to look the business in the scoring stakes, Longstaff does the mad thing and gets sent off in the next game. QP at their best 

He  looked unlucky with the first booking but the second was clearer. Good to see five Cove players run up to the ref to make sure he got it right. Maybe they should have saved their energy to get onto one of the chances firing across our goal in the second half. Great shift to survive that and we do look a solid outfit now. There does seem to be more confidence about the team.

Fresh and honest interview from Beuker after the game. Most guys would have crowed about getting a point but he was noticeably unhappy. 

Edited by Hampden Diehard

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Good to see five Cove players run up to the ref to make sure he got it right. 

Most successful teams have a bit of b*****dry and dark arts about them. Willie Miller, I’m told, was a cracking ref. Scott Brown is decent at it as well. Getting in the ref’s ear is part of the game. We’re far too passive for my liking. I’d love us to have a bit of the edge the Cove squad seem to have.