Next permanent Metropolitan Police Commissioner

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Tends to be about 50-55% of salary if its the old final salary pension and yeh the commutation is pretty large, but pretty shitty life expectancy post retirement also so it takes and it gives in a way. That said its about 14% of your salary you pay every month into it so its not a cheap pension to be paying into. 

My ex fil has been retired for 24 years......

16 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Uft some effort, ive heard old boys give it ‘if i get 30 years and a day out my pension i’ll die happy’ lol. Thats like 80 for some of them. 

If I am to get 30 years out of my pension I'll be 97!  

11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

And thats genuinely shit, I think the retirement age should be lower for everyone. 

In an ideal world, yes.  The trend however is going in the other direction for financial reasons obviously.

11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

And thats genuinely shit, I think the retirement age should be lower for everyone. 

And everyone should be on a final salary pension.

Pretty impressive the police have kept it given they can't strike.

58 minutes ago, 101 said:

And everyone should be on a final salary pension.

Pretty impressive the police have kept it given they can't strike.

They havent, its career average now, changed in 2015, that said their implementation of it has been found to be discriminatory and the government has to pay out. I’d definitely support the implementation of industrial rights especially given the federation could only negotiate a shit settlement in October and teachers etc got 10% or something by threatening to strike. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

5 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

They havent, its career average now, changed in 2015, that said their implementation of it has been found to be discriminatory and the government has to pay out. I’d definitely support the implementation of industrial rights especially given the federation could only negotiate a shit settlement in October and teachers etc got 10% or something by threatening to strike. 

Polis going on strike would be great. Traffic wardens to cover it like the army do when the fire service are at their braziers.

By dad retired from the police at the age of 55 in 2000. He has paid in 11% of his salary and got an excellent pension in return. A lump sum that paid off his mortgage and a decent stipend ever since. 

He got another job with the police as a civilian in 2000, but had to retire properly due to his health in 2004. 

He says now that when he was in the police, the pension contributions were painful. Raising three young kids, with a mortgage, he would have taken that 11% if he could. Now, though, he is quite happy he didn't. 

12 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It’s genuinely scary what g4s are involved in globally.  Private police would be something they’d desperately take on, hire plooky 16 year olds on shite contracts, give them minimal training, inevitably  f**k up badly and somehow keep the contact 

Yeh it's incredible the Government still entertain them after pulling out of the Olympics at the very last second, charging the tax payer £109 million for tagging dead people, the inquiry into abuse in young offenders institutes and I'm sure a whole host of other small shit.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

By dad retired from the police at the age of 55 in 2000. He has paid in 11% of his salary and got an excellent pension in return. A lump sum that paid off his mortgage and a decent stipend ever since. 

He got another job with the police as a civilian in 2000, but had to retire properly due to his health in 2004. 

He says now that when he was in the police, the pension contributions were painful. Raising three young kids, with a mortgage, he would have taken that 11% if he could. Now, though, he is quite happy he didn't. 

Its no where near as good a pension now as your dad got, but that said its still one of the better ones. Ive seen a lot of younger police officers opt out of the pension and a couple i know actually buy houses and flip them as a way of building up a nest egg, but they are time served sparks etc so that’s easy for them. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its no where near as good a pension now as your dad got, but that said its still one of the better ones. Ive seen a lot of younger police officers opt out of the pension and a couple i know actually buy houses and flip them as a way of building up a nest egg, but they are time served sparks etc so that’s easy for them. 

Yep, absolutely. But this is the way of pensions everywhere now - increasing contributions and reducing benefits. Dad got out at the sweet spot for the polis.

On 11/02/2022 at 09:21, 101 said:

More seriously you would imagine Sir Stephen House will be throwing his hat in the ring, hope the good folk of London don't expect the police to turn up to car crashes any faster than within a working week.

The great man's just gone on record as saying all the police stationed around No 10 are there to prevent terrorist attacks - not to search bags of those entering or leaving.

Another Dick set to take charge?

36 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The great man's just gone on record as saying all the police stationed around No 10 are there to prevent terrorist attacks - not to search bags of those entering or leaving.

Another Dick set to take charge?

If that's the case why not just shoot anyone that looks a bit shifty. Seems to have been fairly standard practice in the past.