Hat trick but not winning

ICTChris

Last night Brian Graham scored a hat-trick against The Caley but the game ended 3-3.  Can't be very often that people have scored a hat-trick and not won.

Billy Mckay scored a hat-trick against Dundee Utd for us a few years ago in a 4-4 draw, I can't think of any others although I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

Dariusz Dziekanowski famously scored four goals for Celtic against Partizan Belgrade only to lose out on away goals.  And in one beloved of all trivia sections in Shoot, Denis Law once scored six goals for Man City against Luton only for the game to be abandoned and City to lose the rearranged fixture.

14 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Martin Cameron for us and Lee Miller for Falkirk in this game...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2002&GameID=200210260

Joe Harper for Hibs v Celtic in the 6-3 League Cup final (74/75 season).

ETA...videos

I knew about Joey's losing hattrick, but I've never seen the goals until now.

Buddies should have had 8! :lol:

Edited by Jacksgranda

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

And in one beloved of all trivia sections in Shoot, Denis Law once scored six goals for Man City against Luton only for the game to be abandoned and City to lose the rearranged fixture.

The Law Man also scored in the replayed game so 7 goals in the one tie and still on the losing side.

It happens more often than you'd think. Here are all the ones in major competitions involving Scottish teams since 2010 (note that I may have missed some more recent ones because I've been a bit sloppy in updating this over the last year or so).

Date Player Club Opponent H/A Competition Goals Match Score Match Result
03/04/2010 David Witteveen Greenock Morton Queen of the South H 1st Division 3 3-3 D
05/05/2010 Colin Nish Hibernian Motherwell A SPL 3 6-6 D
30/10/2010 Richard Macadie Wick Academy Whitehill Welfare A Scottish Cup 3 3-4 L
12/11/2011 Ryan Donnelly Airdrieonians [2002] Forfar Athletic H 2nd Division 3 4-4 D
21/04/2012 Steven Thompson St Mirren Dunfermline Athletic H SPL 3 4-4 D
22/09/2012 Stewart Kean Stenhousemuir Albion Rovers A 2nd Division 3 4-4 D
15/12/2012 Billy McKay Inverness CT Dundee United A SPL 3 4-4 D
29/12/2012 Lyle Taylor Falkirk Dumbarton H 1st Division 3 3-4 L
12/11/2013 Michael Moffat Ayr United Stranraer H League 1 3 3-6 L
18/01/2014 Stevie May St Johnstone Heart of Midlothian H Premiership 3 3-3 D
10/01/2015 Jason Cummings Hibernian Falkirk H Championship 3 3-3 D
31/03/2015 Craig Gunn Elgin City Berwick Rangers H League 2 3 3-3 D
25/04/2015 Darryl McHardy Elgin City Annan Athletic H League 2 3 4-5 L
31/10/2015 Rory McAllister Peterhead Stenhousemuir A League 1 3 3-4 L
25/07/2017 Alan Trouten Albion Rovers Hamilton Academical H League Cup 3 4-4 D
20/02/2018 Russell McLean Peterhead Annan Athletic A League 2 3 3-3 D
13/05/2018 Jamie MacLaren Hibernian Rangers H Premiership 3 5-5 D
19/07/2018 Klaemint Olsen NSI Runavik Hibernian H Europa League 3 4-6 L
06/10/2018 Stephen Dobbie Queen of the South Alloa Athletic H Championship 3 3-3 D
23/02/2019 Dom Thomas Dumbarton East Fife A League 1 3 3-4 L
13/08/2019 Scott Reekie Brechin City Elgin City H Challenge Cup 3 4-5 L
04/01/2020 David Goodwillie Clyde Stranraer H League 1 3 3-3 D
09/02/2022 Brian Graham Partick Thistle Inverness CT A Championship 3 3-3 D

I have fairly comprehensive data on hat-tricks, although there are currently around 2000 games, mostly pre-WWI, where it's possible a player scored a hat-trick (ie a team scored 3 or more goals) but I haven't found complete goalscorer information. If anyone is at a loose end and thinks they can help with any of those, I've put these "missing" games here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1smmlWytza3X1SV1XhSVk2p8FiYG82FH9DwPMRiacNEQ/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by craigkillie

Going all the way back to 1999 Paul Sheerin scored a hattrick against Alloa in the Challenge Cup final. He then missed in the penalty shoot out and we ended up losing the game.

Based on what I have, there are four separate instances of a player scoring 5 goals and not ending up on the winning side.

• Irvine Thornley scored 5 for Hamilton Accies in their 5-5 draw with Raith Rovers in the top flight in 1919.
  • William Reid scored 5 for Forfar Athletic in a 6-5 defeat to King's Park in Division 2 in 1939.
  • Willie Bauld scored 5 for Hearts in a 5-5 draw against St Mirren in the League Cup in 1951.
  • Willie Clark scored 5 for Berwick Rangers in a 5-5 draw with Nairn County in the Scottish Cup in 1956.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Martin Cameron for us and Lee Miller for Falkirk in this game...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2002&GameID=200210260

Joe Harper for Hibs v Celtic in the 6-3 League Cup final (74/75 season).

ETA...videos

The old no offside outside the 18 yard line season. Defences coped well.

36 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I was going to ask about that.

Was that just Scottish? Or Britain or Europe wide? And did it result in a large increase in goals?

Our League Cup only as far as I know. I remember Airdrie played Hearts and that wee shite Donald Ford was never more than a foot outside the line. IIRC it just lead to defenders hanging back and didn't succeed in bringing more goals.

Hibs defence seem to have had a major off day in the 6-3 game.

It was an experiment in the Drybrough Cup and League Cup sections - perhaps even the entire competition - for at least a couple of seasons in early 1970s.

Supposedly it caused clubs to leave players up near the box, which meant defenders had to hang back, which made it box-to-box in good ways (energetic midfield) and bad (constant long balls).

Edited by HibeeJibee

14 hours ago, madton said:

I don't think the 1st goal last night was even his. From the angle behind the goal, it goes in off the defender, can even tell Graham doesn't celebrate right away but deciding, feck it, I'm claiming it.

Aye he scored 2 but I think the referee's report had him scoring 3.  If we had a dubious goals panel at that level, not sure if we do, it's definitely getting taken off him, he didn't touch it.