Casuals

On 09/02/2022 at 20:16, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Raiths lack of casuals didnt matter when the Links St boys decided to kick off 

St Johnstones fans especially aware 

I'm sure it happened around half two ish, blokes must've been sitting in the pub for hours with Catherine wheels, fantastic. 

I do wonder how some clubs just seemed to attract so much attention for this, Airdrie up here, Millwall down south etc, makeup of the club of geography driven? 

I'm sure it used to be the case that if you were done for it up here you'd have to book into the police station when you're team was playing, must've been crippling for job prospects. 

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
2 hours ago, Estragon said:

There's a couple of sad old guys on the Killie boards who occasionally feel the need to hint at past casual behaviour. Astonishing how quickly life has moved past these types.

Watch yourself, these guys are still out there and will still be double hard ba*tards.

On 09/02/2022 at 20:21, Melanius Mullarkay said:

If I was in charge I’d have safe casual fighting areas in stadia. Or get them on the pitch at half time for a 10 minute 60 year old dad rumble.

Great idea. Would give us some entertainment at the break watching them chasing each other around the pitch and posturing, with no one actually landing a punch.

Awaydays is the best football hooligan film, it’s certainly got the best soundtrack

Are there still youth subcultures the way there were in the 70s and Early 80s? Skinheads, mods, punks, casuals, soulboys etc?

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Awaydays is the best football hooligan film, it’s certainly got the best soundtrack

Are there still youth subcultures the way there were in the 70s and Early 80s? Skinheads, mods, punks, casuals, soulboys etc?

Yes. Toryism.

My first viewing of the casual scene at Ayr was I think in the May of 86 , away Ayrshire Cup tie at Rugby Park where a group of young guns went into the Killie section of the enclosure in front of the stand . The following season after relegation it’s fair to say their numbers grew and they had their own bus going to most games . Ayr Service Crew was born . However agro at football was not a new thing and prior to the ASC there was the Ayr Troops , a band of skinheads from the Lochside area if I remember correctly and before them in the late 70’s and early 80’s a mixture of all youth cults , punks , mods , skins followed the club . 

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

In the days before hard drives, or even VCRs, would they just check the magazines under Stephen Graham's character's bed?

On 12/02/2022 at 14:06, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Great idea. Would give us some entertainment at the break watching them chasing each other around the pitch and posturing, with no one actually landing a punch.

I’d watch that 😂

Yup pretty much 90% of casual fights I’ve ever witnessed. Walking down Links Street after the Rovers v Pars game where the floodlights failed and found myself amongst the “the casuals” outside the Estuary Bar.  Shouting, posturing, don’t think I saw a single punch thrown and then the Police turned up.  I got bored went inside for a pint, they were still posturing at each other across the police line. 

My first viewing of the casual scene at Ayr was I think in the May of 86 , away Ayrshire Cup tie at Rugby Park where a group of young guns went into the Killie section of the enclosure in front of the stand . The following season after relegation it’s fair to say their numbers grew and they had their own bus going to most games . Ayr Service Crew was born . However agro at football was not a new thing and prior to the ASC there was the Ayr Troops , a band of skinheads from the Lochside area if I remember correctly and before them in the late 70’s and early 80’s a mixture of all youth cults , punks , mods , skins followed the club . 

The enclosure in front of the main stand housed the disabled section !

50 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

The enclosure in front of the main stand housed the disabled section !

For that particular game , for whatever reason , only the stand and enclosure were open . But yeah wheelchairs, whatever ! 

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Punks certainly, one of them being me. :)

Skinheads nowadays tend just to be punks that went bald so they became skins by default.