Diamonds v Mo

Chance taking excellent and no weak players today. It was fairly even in first half hour with Montrose having some threat down the left. Fordyce stood up to that all day and whilst our front two did pose problems to Dillon etc Montrose lacked a real striker, which was shown in GALS two goals. I did think he would return and he deserved the applause on his subbing. It was a pain when we let that guy run on and on, and I think it was Kerr who fouled him?

Immediately after HT we might have lost the equaliser but for Currie's save. I thought we let Milne and Ballantyne dominate too much and it was a relief to get Watson's cracker. Smith did really well to get us up the park which led to the 4th. A great win against a good side and we did earn the breaks. It was a laugh to see the agitated Montrose bench . Good to see the new Ref having a good game. On to Peterhead now.

As others have said, an alright performance from us today but very clinical, which is quite unlike us. All four goals were excellent today. A rare Gallagher goal from outside the box at a moment where I think we all just wanted someone to hit it, a lot of his finishes aren’t the best looking but he curled that one perfectly into the corner. His second was great technique too, again not your typical Gallagher goal. Watson’s strike for the third was great too and the fourth was all down to Smith’s work-rate and pressing.

We got our goals at great times too. I felt the first 25 minutes were fairly even but up until the first goal it was Montrose who looked more aggressive and threatening, albeit without many clear chances. Gallagher’s goals killed their momentum and gave us a real boost until the penalty right on half-time, which for all of Lyons antics was a clear penalty for me. Similarly, Montrose were starting to come more into the game in the second half when Watson scored. After that, Ross Campbell and then Stewart Petrie seemed to have a bit of a heads gone moment on the touchline and Montrose never really recovered from that.

We’ve never really comfortably beaten Montrose since they’ve came up and while there probably wasn’t too much between the teams in terms of performances today, such a big win over a good team should be a big psychological boost for the players. Cove dropping points keeps us in the hunt for the title but if we do end up facing Montrose in the play-offs, the players now know if we put in a performance then we’re capable of beating them.

7 minutes ago, diamondman said:

BBC match stats make me wonder if it was the game I watched.

They're pretty much in line with what I was expecting. Montrose had slightly more of the ball and more shots but not many of them were particularly great, I don't remember Currie having too many saves. I also can't think of too many Airdrie shots outside of the goals, we were just very clinical with what we had. I'm really pleased to see that side of us, usually we're either completely dominant but only score a few of several good chances or we struggle to take the couple of good chances we get in a tight game. Today showed that even when we're not able to create endless chances or dominate possession, we still have a lot of ability going forward to score some really great goals.

A great 3 points in a game  where we couldn't really get going first half due to very high press by the Montrose midfield and strikers, probably the most effective press we have played against,   I thought most of the game we were half a yard short in the middle of the park, Aggie was playing deep in an already deep centre halfpairing which left Easton,Frizz and McCabe exposed to midfield runners,  Montrose created virtually nothing first half and we came more into the game without dominating scoring  quick goals and looking settled really for the first time,,  Montrose got a deserved penalty after poor tracking by the midfield...

The second half was pretty similar we grew in confidence scored at the right times and Montrose ran out of ideas,      not our usual swashbuckling attacking play but was very clinical and effective against a good well drilled side who will come again this season.....I

5 points the gap , I would prefer to be in coves shoes,   but it's a   "funny old game"

5 subs not a fan at all,    is this really needed at this level

Onwards and upwards

15 minutes ago, Passionate said:

A great 3 points in a game  where we couldn't really get going first half due to very high press by the Montrose midfield and strikers, probably the most effective press we have played against,   I thought most of the game we were half a yard short in the middle of the park, Aggie was playing deep in an already deep centre halfpairing which left Easton,Frizz and McCabe exposed to midfield runners,  Montrose created virtually nothing first half and we came more into the game without dominating scoring  quick goals and looking settled really for the first time,,  Montrose got a deserved penalty after poor tracking by the midfield...

The second half was pretty similar we grew in conf...I

5 points the gap , I would prefer to be in coves shoes,   but it's a   "funny old game"

5 subs not a fan at all,    is this really needed at this level

Onwards and upwards

On the 5 subs I can see where it helps for injury type strains in a hard season but for tactical stuff I tend to think it encourages over thinking the game. I think it might actually have hindered Montrose today at that  4-1 stage. Mind you we used to grumble about three subs at once last season.  Your game comments were good and I can make no

substitute comments. Happy days 

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

Great win. To beat them so convincingly, after not beating them previously this season and not playing particularly well, is excellent and bodes well for any potential play-off encounter. Definitely a much needed psychological boost. 

4 cracking goals. Feels like there are goal of the season contenders every week! Two lovely and different finishes from Gal. He's not had his best season but when he plays like that he's undeniably our best striker and most natural finisher. Thought his work rate, hold-up and link-up play were good today also. Watson's goal another beauty. MacDonald struggled in the first-half (looked like he had a bag of ice around his leg in the second-half) so Watson's arrival made a difference, not only with his goal but also RE dealing with Blair Lyons. Then Smith did what he does best for the fourth. As said, the timing of the goals was impeccable and badly needed at each stage they were scored. 

Thought Fordyce and Kerr largely strolled it. For all Montrose's pressure and possession they really didn't create much in the way of chances. We sat far too deep most of the game - Montrose's defence and midfield had practically box-to-box to run from - but we got away with it and dealt with any threat they posed well enough. I thought Brody Paterson was very good too. He seems to have really settled into the side. What a difference having a proper left-back makes! Second behind Gal in the MotM running for me. Think we need to sort out which midfielder(s) sit deep, which one plays on the left-hand side etc as since McInroy left I don't think we've got the balance 100% spot on yet. But to win so comprehensively without McCabe, Easton or Frizzell being at their best is again hugely encouraging. 

Cove dropping points made it a brilliant afternoon overall. Looking forward to watching the highlights, seeing more of Afolabi and venturing up to Peterhead next week. 

5 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Chance taking excellent and no weak players today. It was fairly even in first half hour with Montrose having some threat down the left. Fordyce stood up to that all day and whilst our front two did pose problems to Dillon etc Montrose lacked a real striker, which was shown in GALS two goals. I did think he would return and he deserved the applause on his subbing. It was a pain when we let that guy run on and on, and I think it was Kerr who fouled him?

Immediately after HT we might have lost the equaliser but for Currie's save. I thought we let Milne and Ballantyne dominate too much and it was a relief to get Watson's cracker. Smith did really well to get us up the park which led to the 4th. A great win against a good side and we did earn the breaks. It was a laugh to see the agitated Montrose bench . Good to see the new Ref having a good game. On to Peterhead now.

Good result for Airdrie today but Lorraine Watson isn't really a new ref as such. She's been an assistant on a few occasions in the Scottish League (once at Ibrox when Rangers were in the Lower Leagues) and her first Scottish League game as a referee was Edinburgh City v Berwick (remember them?!). She refereed Albion Rovers v City earlier in the season and a Forfar game at Station Park 

Just now, tamthebam said:

Good result for Airdrie today but Lorraine Watson isn't really a new ref as such. She's been an assistant on a few occasions in the Scottish League (once at Ibrox when Rangers were in the Lower Leagues) and her first Scottish League game as a referee was Edinburgh City v Berwick (remember them?!). She refereed Albion Rovers v City earlier in the season and a Forfar game at Station Park 

Remember her running the line at a few games,  To be fair she had a very good game today,  night and day compared to some refs you come across in the lower leagues...

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Thanks for update and I just meant she was new to me. After the delights of Barry Cook , it was good today. 

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for update and I just meant she was new to me. After the delights of Barry Cook , it was good today. 

I'll pass your thoughts onto our fan Big Boab who isn't terribly impressed by our Lorraine :lol:

It's nice to know she had a good game. Aye, we've had Barry Cook at Edinburgh City games too.... :whistle

BBC Sport giving an attendance of 649 at the game today, from where I was sitting seemed more than that. Buzzing with that result today, weren’t at our best but still handed out a thumping. Looking forward to next week and hopefully can take a decent support up to balmoor (can already guarantee that it will be freezing[emoji23][emoji23]). Onwards and upwards EIO[emoji815]️

Fair play to Airdrie it's not often under SP we lose 4 goals thankfully.

Wasn't at the game but sound like we never turned up second half.We haven't been playing great the last 3-4 games in my opinion hopefully this is the kick up the arse we need.

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Fair play to Airdrie it's not often under SP we lose 4 goals thankfully.

Wasn't at the game but sound like we never turned up second half.We haven't been playing great the last 3-4 games in my opinion hopefully this is the kick up the arse we need.

I'm trying to think when we last conceded 4 goals. QoS playoff 3 years ago?

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

I had a look earlier and Ross County beat you 4-1 in the League Cup earlier this season. In the league it was the 5-0 defeat at Partick Thistle last season.

Aye you could be right about the Thistle game away from home sure we did lose 5.