People's opinions of the split (..and possible reconstruction?)

20 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Couldn't disagree more re relegation P/O. 

Adds excitement to it. More at stake. 

It's still money and status that's at stake in either version of a playoff.  Playing for the survival of a club and people's livelihoods is rank rotten.  Players and fans will remember a promotion playoff victory with more fondness in the future.  Only Scottish people could think that a relegation playoff could be enjoyable, we're a miserable bunch of horrible b*****ds.  There is worldwide appeal for a playoff where a team moves up in the world, we're going against the grain and making an arse of it.  I'm not sure Hollywood movies about sports teams in a relegation playoff game would be quite so popular.  Gary Busey as Callum Davidson in 'Diddyball'.

2 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

It's still money and status that's at stake in either version of a playoff.  Playing for the survival of a club and people's livelihoods is rank rotten.  Players and fans will remember a promotion playoff victory with more fondness in the future.  Only Scottish people could think that a relegation playoff could be enjoyable, we're a miserable bunch of horrible b*****ds.  There is worldwide appeal for a playoff where a team moves up in the world, we're going against the grain and making an arse of it.  I'm not sure Hollywood movies about sports teams in a relegation playoff game would be quite so popular.  Gary Busey as Callum Davidson in 'Diddyball'.

What a weird post. 

13 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

Absolute baloney.

Your actual Bundesliga has the 3rd bottom team participate in a relegation playoff.

I loathe that "only in Scotland" whiny crap folk come out with.

22 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

Only Scottish people could think that a relegation playoff could be enjoyable, we're a miserable bunch of horrible b*****ds. 

You are aware that Scotland isn’t the only country with a relegation playoff? Two of Europe’s top five leagues have them.

Edit: if we go for the top 10 leagues, then it’s six have them. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

I would like a 18/24 set up quite simply because i am bored with playing each other 4 times a season. We need a bigger change in the league so possibly 3 teams being relegated (or 2 + the relegation playoff)

I am not a fan of the split, i don't think it adds anything to the season.

the playoff are enjoyable but i would tweak it to be more like the English system ie 3rd v 6th, 4th v 5th (or if you like the relegation play off top league v 5th, 3rd v 4th)

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Absolute baloney.

Your actual Bundesliga has the 3rd bottom team participate in a relegation playoff.

I loathe that "only in Scotland" whiny crap folk come out with.

Irrelevant.

I cannot believe that a neutral could watch the English Championship Playoff Final and not enjoy it as much as any relegation playoff final.

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

You are aware that Scotland isn’t the only country with a relegation playoff? Two of Europe’s top five leagues have them. 

So the majority of Europe's top 5 leagues have opted against a relegation playoff?  Unsurprising.

Wasn't your experience in a relegation playoff not god awful?  Absolutely rank rotten games to be in.  Promotion playoffs is where it's at.

36 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

Why is a club playing for survival in a play off any worse than a club going into the last game of the season bottom of the table playing for survival?

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, ol1vercloff said:

.So the majority of Europe's top 5 leagues have opted against a relegation playoff?  Unsurprising.

Wasn't your experience in a relegation playoff not god awful?  Absolutely rank rotten games to be in.  Promotion playoffs is where it's at.

The point I was making was that it’s far from only a Scottish thing, as you seemed to suggest. I’d have thought that was obvious.

Yes, our relegation playoff was a shite experience. That’s largely because we lost it. Had we won it, it would have been much, much less shite. I don’t imagine it’d be any different had we lost in a “promotion” playoff, which would also be shite. In any case, presumably the solution would be to just automatically relegate the second bottom side? In what way is that better?

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Why is a club playing for survival in a play off any worse than a club going into the last game of the season bottom of the table playing for survival?

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The point I was making was that it’s far from only a Scottish thing, as you seemed to suggest. I’d have thought that was obvious.

Yes, our relegation playoff was a shite experience. That’s largely because we lost it. Had we won it, it would have been much, much less shite. I don’t imagine it’d be any different had we lost in a “promotion” playoff, which would also be shite. In any case, presumably the solution would be to just automatically relegate the second bottom side? In what way is that better?

A relegation playoff is like a cup final in reverse.  Instead of showcasing your best teams in a televised event at the national stadium with all the buzz and excitement, the relegation playoff puts one of your worst teams in a televised event at a diddy team's ground with a disgusting reek of panic and negativity.

Realistically, clubs won't vote to relegate another 1-2 teams automatically to make the magnificent promotion playoff set up work.  I get that clubs will have their own interests at heart, instead of having an exciting promotion playoff.  But surely clubs have to think about the product we're putting out at some point?

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think mr cloff is clearly at it. 

If you can type more than half a dozen words, I'd love to hear why you think a relegation playoff is better and has more fan appeal than a promotion playoff.

A relegation playoff is like a cup final in reverse.  Instead of showcasing your best teams in a televised event at the national stadium with all the buzz and excitement, the relegation playoff puts one of your worst teams in a televised event at a diddy team's ground with a disgusting reek of panic and negativity.

Realistically, clubs won't vote to relegate another 1-2 teams automatically to make the magnificent promotion playoff set up work.  I get that clubs will have their own interests at heart, instead of having an exciting promotion playoff.  But surely clubs have to think about the product we're putting out at some point?

If you can type more than half a dozen words, I'd love to hear why you think a relegation playoff is better and has more fan appeal than a promotion playoff.

Why would you assume a match between a Premier League side and a Championship side would be of less quality than a match between 2 Championship sides?

2 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

The post you quoted has 8 words. 

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Why would you assume a match between a Premier League side and a Championship side would be of less quality than a match between 2 Championship sides?

I think a game between two in form teams in the Championship would be a far better game than a declining Premiership side and an in form Championship side.  Most of the games in the Championship are far more entertaining than your bottom end Premiership games. 

6 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Seriously? It's because we're all miserable c***s? 

Someone has to get relegated, it's sport. Why not make it more entertaining? I'd actually scrap the two legs and host the thing at a neutral venue, so it's a proper cup tie. 

Should we just franchise all the sides in Scotland so that nobody has to experience relegation? 

Two teams get automatically relegated and we have a promotion playoff instead.  

I think a game between two in form teams in the Championship would be a far better game than a declining Premiership side and an in form Championship side.  Most of the games in the Championship are far more entertaining than your bottom end Premiership games. 

That just seems to go against your original argument. You say it is miserable making a team play for their survival in a play off, and now you want to increase the number of automatic relegation spots? Just seems a bit of an opposing view.

This season could see 7 teams separated by a few points between 4th and 10th come the split. The financial rewards for those in the top half is vastly better than those who may just miss out. Never liked the split and nothing that has happened since its inception has changed my opinion 

4 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

Fortunately our current system gives you those as well. Live on the BBC, no less.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

That just seems to go against your original argument. You say it is miserable making a team play for their survival in a play off, and now you want to increase the number of automatic relegation spots? Just seems a bit of an opposing view.

My argument is to mirror the English pyramid system as closely as we can, which includes more than one automatic relegation spot.  No contradiction here.  It will be difficult to convince wee clubs to vote on an increased risk of relegation.  But this current system with a relegation playoff is no good.