The Midfield.

• 2 weeks later...

In the first half it was difficult to be sure of what was going on in the midfield, particularly with Armstrong. When I saw the lineup I just assumed McTominay and Gilmour would play together in central midfield with Armstrong and McGinn more advanced but I didn't see that.

After watching the game back I think McGinn and McTominay mostly played #8 roles on either side of Gilmour - who it seemed to me was playing as our #6. I'm not really sure if Armstrong was playing as a central attacking midfielder, second striker or just had a free role but he was the #10 in my opinion.

The manager started me off a little bit deeper tonight but at half-time told me to get up alongside Lyndon and cause some problems and, thankfully, I got another goal.

John McGinn

https://news.stv.tv/sport/john-mcginn-still-hurting-over-scotland-missing-out-on-the-world-cup

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Kilmarnock's Kyle Vassell comparing Celtic to English Premier League teams and within that singling out Scotland's Callum McGregor for his role in their team. 

When I played Premier League teams in the cup, genuinely the top teams. McGregor's so good, he's so good at football. He runs you away to make space for other players and then you've got to take him up the pitch so yeah my comparison would be a Premier League team.

Kyle Vassell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3wBUGw4pUE

Edited by 2426255

• 7 months later...

I’m a little surprised it’s not been posted by the more eagle eye’s before now, however for the past month or so, Ryan Christie has been excellent for Bournemouth in a far deeper role than the one we are used to seeing him in. Pulled the strings against Villa today. I know we’re already strong in this position but I’m sure if he keeps this kind of form up in that role, Clarke will at least consider looking at him deeper in our set up.

14 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I’m a little surprised it’s not been posted by the more eagle eye’s before now, however for the past month or so, Ryan Christie has been excellent for Bournemouth in a far deeper role than the one we are used to seeing him in. Pulled the strings against Villa today. I know we’re already strong in this position but I’m sure if he keeps this kind of form up in that role, Clarke will at least consider looking at him deeper in our set up.

I hinted at it earlier, but I don't watch really much of Bournemouth and so couldn't really say if he's playing the role well or whatever at his club. Seeing a player in a different role is always interesting, you get to see them in a different light.

On 31/10/2023 at 14:40, 2426255 said:

Our other midfielders are like multi-tools. McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Ferguson and even Christie now have played in different midfield roles over the years and I think you probably need that flexibility to always play and that's before taking into account the player availability/injuries or minutes played or whatever else.

I wouldn't rule it out for Scotland at some future time. If someone had said McTominay was going to be an attacking midfielder and Christie a central midfielder for Scotland a year ago, they'd have been ripped for it.

Edited by 2426255

Our midfield has to be a force at this tournament unlike the last time we got McSauce McGinn Gilmour all playing in the EPL and we have Armstrong McLean able deputies who played there before and maybe Ferguson moving thete in January 

Can the Swizz and Hungarians say same thing check Swizz team two previously played there one plays in a league we won't pick Gauld from

I was confident last time we made it avout going through but we under performed

Now we are going back with that little bit more extra bit off experience and maybe fet a result out off the Germans if they start the competition slow again

Would be amazing seeing these guys go through and make history 

Also as a Rangers fan Calmac has fully deserved to be one 1st names on the teamsheet and hasn't played EPL but could

Edited by General dissaray

16 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Our midfield has to be a force at this tournament unlike the last time we got McSauce McGinn Gilmour all playing in the EPL and we have Armstrong McLean able deputies who played there before and maybe Ferguson moving thete in January 

Can the Swizz and Hungarians say same thing check Swizz team two previously played there one plays in a league we won't pick Gauld from

I was confident last time we made it avout going through but we under performed

Now we are going back with that little bit more extra bit off experience and maybe fet a result out off the Germans if they start the competition slow again

Would be amazing seeing these guys go through and make history 

Also as a Rangers fan Calmac has fully deserved to be one 1st names on the teamsheet and hasn't played EPL but could

the majority of the Swiss squad play in Europe's top leagues. Whilst am sure they will be expecting a tough game against us, I don't think they will be looking at our squad options with envious eyes. 

13 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

always been a big Christie fan but he seems to have gone up a level. That's an incredible performance

Scotland are going to need him to improve if we are going to lift that trophy in Germany! 😂 

Performances against England and France in the semi and final will be key! 😂 

I think both (Cook and Christie) have been very good in the last games where they were playing the 6 or 8 positions. I think they are understanding each other very well and I think it's one of the reasons probably that we are playing better, we are more comfortable. 

I am happy because he (Christie) is still having the chances, even playing lower. He’s arriving the same way into the box. He had a couple of very good situations. Sometimes he decides to make the last pass, like in the first goal. Sometimes he's shooting from the outside and I think it's something we should encourage. It's not because he's playing lower, he doesn't have to make these kind of runs or ball carries that he does so well.

Andoni Iraola

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/23965024.afc-bournemouth-head-coach-andoni-iraola-ryan-christie-lewis-cook/?ref=twtrec

Just sort of a confirmation that his position has changed from the Bournemouth manager although it hasn't affected his attacking role at the moment.

4 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

always been a big Christie fan but he seems to have gone up a level. That's an incredible performance

That's magnificent.  He was never lightning quick, so working as a winger was always a little limited.  His speed in the middle, and an ability to tackle and wriggle out of situations is impressive.  Clearly he presents another option.

21 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

the majority of the Swiss squad play in Europe's top leagues. Whilst am sure they will be expecting a tough game against us, I don't think they will be looking at our squad options with envious eyes. 

Plenty don't are Seria B and out there own league well you obviously underestimate our options then don't you

14 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Plenty don't are Seria B and out there own league well you obviously underestimate our options then don't you

Of the Swiss main qualifying squad including recent call-ups, 6 play in Ligue 1, 6 in Serie A, 8 in the Bundesliga (1), and 3 in the English Premiership. The rest of the squad play in the Swiss domestic league (11), with 1 in La Liga, 1 in the MLS, 1 in the Greek League and 1 in UAE. Just quickly lifted from wiki - so in the qualifying campaign and Nations league games, 23 squad players are from Europe's top leagues

If the wiki sources are wrong and you are right then I stand corrected.