The Midfield.

We saw some different variations in midfield against Austria. One change of shape, several changes of personnel, shifting them around positionally and Lewis Ferguson made his first start in there.
  • [00 - 20'] 3-4-3 - Jack (L), Ferguson ® 
  • [20 - 57'] 3-5-2 - McGinn (L), Jack ©, Ferguson ®
  • [57 - 77'] 3-5-2 - McGinn (L), McTominay ©, Ferguson ®
  • [77 - 90'] 3-5-2 - McGinn (L), Gilmour ©, McTominay ®
I think all of those adjustments might have affected our fluency and I suppose as a guess Steve Clarke was trying to get better control of the midfield area by putting three players in there. We also got a another taste of a McGinn, Gilmour and McTominay midfield for those who think that's the way forward.
I think folk sometimes forget that we also changed from the 3-4-3 pretty early in the second half against Denmark (later on against Moldova too but that was just to give some players minutes). It's looked really good when it's clicked but I'm not sure if it will be our shape going forward.

If either Gilmour or McGregor are unavailable - then Jack or McTominay will be next in line to fill that void and which one would depend on our opposition.

Slotting in one of those players into that position I don't think would disrupt things too much.

I dont have stats to back it up, but I believe McTominay has started every competitive game under Clarke (when available)

If either Gilmour or McGregor are unavailable - then Jack or McTominay will be next in line to fill that void and which one would depend on our opposition.
Slotting in one of those players into that position I don't think would disrupt things too much.
I dont have stats to back it up, but I believe McTominay has started every competitive game under Clarke (when available)
He was a sub in Clarke's first game but I think you might be right about the others. I hadn't actually thought of that. He didn't play away to Slovakia after Serbia but pretty much no one started both games.

58 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McTominay in the deeper midfield roles doesn't work, it doesn't suit his game. You either play him at centre-back or in the more advanced McGinn role.

I don’t think he’s great in a double pivot, I’d certainly have McGregor, Gilmour and Jack all ahead of him for that role, however if two of them are unavailable for whatever reason then moving McTominay forward (with Hendry playing RCB) is preferable to Kenny McLean imo 

• 1 month later...
On 30/03/2022 at 08:37, craigkillie said:

McTominay in the deeper midfield roles doesn't work, it doesn't suit his game. You either play him at centre-back or in the more advanced McGinn role.

He can't and literally has never played that role. He's a box to box midfielder.

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.68b562de77c42f22f23ae99648b38fb8.png

It looked to me like Scott McTominay was playing from midfield from around the 55 minute mark. He was popping up all over the place so hard to tell what his role was exactly without re-watching beyond giving us an extra man in there.

Billy Gilmour had his worst game in Scotland colours last night. Still a huge hope for the future, but a bit of a reality check for sure. I don’t think he’s fully over that injury he had a couple of weeks ago. 

On 02/06/2022 at 08:17, Donathan said:

Billy Gilmour had his worst game in Scotland colours last night. Still a huge hope for the future, but a bit of a reality check for sure. I don’t think he’s fully over that injury he had a couple of weeks ago. 

Partly in his defence, he was still always looking for the ball, and anyone in our team on the ball had f**k all options as nobody further forward were providing an angle for the pass.

If your best attribute is passing and you don’t have anyone to pass to then your game’s going to suffer.

It's a shame we didn't get Alexis Mac Allister with an early cap.
We wouldn't need to be watching pure guff in midfield.

It would be a shame if it wasn’t for the fact that he was never eligible to play for us

13 hours ago, Aidan said:

It would be a shame if it wasn’t for the fact that he was never eligible to play for us

Are we sure about this? Alexis has two brothers playing in the Argentinian premier league so they’d be worth a look if a granny can be found 

• 1 month later...

He played virtually every minute under both Gerrard and Smith, he was always pretty much undroppable in that Villa team. He's the centre of everything they do.

No surprise to see his importance recognised with the captaincy change.

He's a fabulous player, still underrated by many.

I was re-watching the Ireland match and to be honest John McGinn was still really pretty good and I think his two bad misses overshadow what was quite a good first half performance overall. Interestingly he changed position a few times during the game to deal with their #6 (Josh Cullen).

He was taking up positions far over on the right side of the field for most of the game rather than through the middle. His hold up play was superb.

• 1 month later...

I could have brought Lewis across but I’ve got Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean coming back after missing out in the summer. So I said to Lewis it’s better for him to stay around at Bologna, impress the new manager and get a place in the first team. Lewis is definitely one for the future of Scotland. I’ve no doubt he’ll be in the Bologna team soon enough.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premeditated-reason-lewis-ferguson-isnt-28018500