The Midfield.

We don't have a general place to put all things related to our Midfield into. I thought it made sense to make one to replace the Midfield Tweaks thread.

10 Midfielders have been called up to the National Team in 2021:

• Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, John McGinn, Scott McTominay, Billy Gilmour.
  • Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack, Lewis Ferguson, John Fleck, David Turnbull.

Additionally, Ryan Christie and Ryan Fraser have had been deployed as attacking midfielders over the course of the year. 

1 hour ago, General dissaray said:

Allan Campbell shouldn't be far away

Doing well at Luton on the championship who are in form

I wouldn't be suprised to see him sneak into a squad possibly for the Armenia game

If Lewis Ferguson can get into a squad so can he

Will you stop it with your ridiculous Luton Town obsession? 

Just now, red23 said:

Will you stop it with your ridiculous Luton Town obsession? 

Are you saying Campbell will never get capped?Cos see if you are then you don't know your football like you think you do.Wee guys a great player that will move higher to a bigger team than Luton one day.What age is he 23 or something he is a talent similar in John McGinn mould

1 minute ago, velo army said:

The boy is as mad as a hatter.

Everton are actually my English team but none the less Allan Campbell will become a Scotland International in next year or two he is exactly the type of young midfielder we need that has potential to progress further 

And he shouldn't be that behind Henderson and Gauld in the que for a look at allthough the return of Ryan Jack won't help him

1 minute ago, General dissaray said:

Everton are actually my English team but none the less Allan Campbell will become a Scotland International in next year or two he is exactly the type of young midfielder we need that has potential to progress further 

And he shouldn't be that behind Henderson and Gauld in the que for a look at allthough the return of Ryan Jack won't help him

So Allan Campbell is the player who will move scotland "to the next level". Why do you rate the Championship so highly?

On 07/02/2022 at 21:21, red23 said:

So Allan Campbell is the player who will move scotland "to the next level". Why do you rate the Championship so highly?

I don't rate the championship highly but we pick championship players like Christie that still gets into the squad 

Campbell is a good player we are talking about a call up not about going into the first 11

Campbell is the kind of player that could come on similar to what Lewis Ferguson has been doing

Aberdeen aren't even having a good season Luton are they might slide into the play off and if they win it Campbell becomes a EPL man

Another goal from him last night against Barnsley as I said he is in form

Edited by General dissaray

On 07/02/2022 at 22:55, General dissaray said:

I don't rate the championship highly but we pick championship players like Christie that still gets into the squad 

Campbell is a good player we are talking about a call up not about going into the first 11

Campbell is the kind of player that could come on similar to what Lewis Ferguson has been doing

Aberdeen aren't even having a good season Luton are they might slide into the play off and if they win it Campbell becomes a EPL man

Another goal from him last night against Barnsley as I said he is in form

Aberdeen 9th tonight heard that Ferguson was good though tonight from my Celtic supporting nephew said that he is very technical 

9 hours ago, General dissaray said:

What a lovely compossed little faint and finish with a lot of time in front of goal were he could thought to much about it and had it saved,don't care what anybody says about Campbell he is class and improving with every match

Composed faint and finish? Campbell scores from about a yard out in a goalmouth scramble :lol:

I noticed that the National Team's left sided attacking midfielders have been playing significant minutes on the right for their clubs. Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Christie and Ryan Fraser have all played as left sided attacking midfielders across 2021 for Scotland.

Scotland's attacks down the left hand side haven't really developed since Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney terrorized the Faroe Islands in March, while the right hand side has come on leaps and bounds with us regularly overloading it.

I'm not trying to link the two. it's just an observation.

It's also interesting that we started the year at home to Austria playing 3-4-2-1 with McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong & Christie as the midfield box for the first 20-25 minutes before reverting to 3-4-1-2/3-5-2 and ended the year with 3-4-2-1 with McGregor, Gilmour, Christie/Armstrong & McGinn as the midfield box.

Edited by 2426255

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Two of the three goals against Israel came from moves down the left.

as did a one-on-one chance for Dykes around 15 mins as well as a Robertson cross on a plate for Dykes on 60 mins that he proceeded to headie straight at the goalie. Those were both very good chances from the left hand side as well as you say, the two goals. Notable  😂

(With the missed penalty and that header, Dykes should have had a hat-trick)

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Two of the three goals against Israel came from moves down the left.

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

as did a one-on-one chance for Dykes around 15 mins as well as a Robertson cross on a plate for Dykes on 60 mins that he proceeded to headie straight at the goalie. Those were both very good chances from the left hand side as well as you say, the two goals. Notable  😂

(With the missed penalty and that header, Dykes should have had a hat-trick)

I think you boys might have misunderstood my point. So the left hand side has contributed goals and chances - that's absolutely spot on, but in my view the greater improvement has been on the right hand side towards the end of 2021 - which I found quite surprising when I first looked into it and what I was pointing to when I posted the following:

22 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Scotland's attacks down the left hand side haven't really developed since Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney terrorized the Faroe Islands in March, while the right hand side has come on leaps and bounds with us regularly overloading it.

Edited by 2426255