Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Like 90% of the hosts of anything? Hardly that much of a farce.

Well in World Cups, it has only happened 3 times: 

In 1930, Uruguay played all their games at Centario but there only 3 venues, all in Montevideo.

In 1938, France played both games (it was a straight knock out tournament) at Colombes but if they made the semi-final it would have been at the Velodrome in Marseille.

In 1966, England played every game at Wembley. Their semi final was meant to be played at Goodison but was changed to Wembley at the last minute. 

In every other World Cup, the host country has played at at least 2 different venues (5 in West Germany 74!) and since 1994 they've all played at either 3 or 4 different venues. 

Extending it to Euros, since it became a tournament proper in 1980, Sweden played in Solna in all their games (but would have played in Gothenburg had they got to the Final), Belgium played all their group games in Brussels but were knocked out in the groups and would have played elsewhere had they made it, and the split tournaments in Austria/Switzerland and Poland/Ukraine saw the hosts play group games in one venue (but they'd play elsewhere if they made it out the groups).

Even going to Rugby World Cups, only one host - Wales - have played all their games at one venue and again had they progressed they'd have played elsewhere. 

Tl;Dr- 90% of hosts play at more than one venue, not the other way round.

Would a Scotland and Wales bid be doable? 

Scotland - Ibrox, Celtic Park, Hampden, Murrayfield and the new Aberdeen stadium.

Wales - Millenium Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium, Swansea City Stadium, possibly a redeveloped Wrexham.

Could add Ireland as well and include the Aviva, Croke Park and the stadium in Cork.  There's other big grounds in Ireland too but the GAA can be funny about their inclusion.

41 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Would a Scotland and Wales bid be doable? 

Scotland - Ibrox, Celtic Park, Hampden, Murrayfield and the new Aberdeen stadium.

Wales - Millenium Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium, Swansea City Stadium, possibly a redeveloped Wrexham.

Could add Ireland as well and include the Aviva, Croke Park and the stadium in Cork.  There's other big grounds in Ireland too but the GAA can be funny about their inclusion.

3 stadiums in Glasgow? 2 in Cardiff? 2 in Dublin?

White elephants in Aberdeen, Swansea and Wrexham?

Not happening.

Interestingly there was a big article in yesterday's paper about the Euro 2028 bid including quotes from CEO. SFA only expect to put Hampden forward, and even if expanded to 32 have ruled-out Murrayfield already. They clearly won't choose 1 of OF and not other... so basically sounds like we'll only be providing 1 stadium. Could see Wales and Eire doing similarly tbh.

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not happening.

Interestingly there was a big article in yesterday's paper about the Euro 2028 bid including quotes from CEO. SFA only expect to put Hampden forward, and even if expanded to 32 have ruled-out Murrayfield already. They clearly won't choose 1 of OF and not other... so basically sounds like we'll only be providing 1 stadium. Could see Wales and Eire doing similarly tbh.

That answers my earlier question.

It’s an England-hosted tournament with a few games in the other host nations rather than a truly joint bid.

I’m not even convinced the other home nations will even get automatic qualification. 

On 09/02/2022 at 15:36, Salvo Montalbano said:

Well in World Cups, it has only happened 3 times: 

In 1930, Uruguay played all their games at Centario but there only 3 venues, all in Montevideo.

In 1938, France played both games (it was a straight knock out tournament) at Colombes but if they made the semi-final it would have been at the Velodrome in Marseille.

In 1966, England played every game at Wembley. Their semi final was meant to be played at Goodison but was changed to Wembley at the last minute. 

In every other World Cup, the host country has played at at least 2 different venues (5 in West Germany 74!) and since 1994 they've all played at either 3 or 4 different venues. 

Extending it to Euros, since it became a tournament proper in 1980, Sweden played in Solna in all their games (but would have played in Gothenburg had they got to the Final), Belgium played all their group games in Brussels but were knocked out in the groups and would have played elsewhere had they made it, and the split tournaments in Austria/Switzerland and Poland/Ukraine saw the hosts play group games in one venue (but they'd play elsewhere if they made it out the groups).

Even going to Rugby World Cups, only one host - Wales - have played all their games at one venue and again had they progressed they'd have played elsewhere. 

Tl;Dr- 90% of hosts play at more than one venue, not the other way round.

Italy played all their home games except the semi final in Rome at Italia 90.

Semi final was played in Naples.

3rd / 4th playoff was played in Bari.

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

In that case it isn't 90% of all hosts, is it? Unless I'm missing something obvious it'll surely be 100% or very close.

Any co-hosted tournaments could have teams playing in the "other" country. No idea of the exact percentages of when that has actually happened.

They often try to minimise that possibility e.g. WC 2002 teams from same group met again in SFs (IIRC) as Japan/South Korea-based sides only mixed for 3rd-4th & Final.

England only had all those home ties because Brussels stadium fell through (groupstage) and then Eire wouldn't allow spectators in (Last 16) and both were reallocated.

On 08/02/2022 at 18:01, HibeeJibee said:

Group I     Clyde Olympic & Dumfries
Group J     Dunfermline & Alloa

a71724a4-dfe6-4b66-80d9-f6deb43bd4a4

7658421a-eb6c-440c-a220-aacb7082c9c6

47c39e9e-ff28-4293-9e85-75dc6943f99c

ca1da0ee-e3e4-4b11-bb4d-27b950040fa5

Apparently at one point there genuinely were plans for the North stand at East End to be of similar height to the ends behind the goals. Thankfully never happened of course (although what did happen was bad enough).

Not happening.

I don’t agree with that. If we keep it to Scotland and Wales, Aberdeen have talked about a new ground for years. Swansea are a pretty big club - I’m not sure upping their ground to 30,000 would make it a white elephant. We’re not talking about building a new stadium in Aberystwyth or the mythical new ground in Stirlingshire that was never going to happen. Wrexham could be I grant you but they do have plans to expand (by a much smaller number I grant you) but they do have money behind them now and Wales have played there before.

For the hypothetical bid to work, Glasgow and Cardiff would have to be multi-ground cities for it to work. Incidentally, the England World Cup 2018 bid had four grounds in London while the Scotland/Ireland bid for the Euros in the 2000s had Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park and Murrayfield as the Scottish venues plus two out of the three of a new Aberdeen stadium, a new Dundee stadium and an expanded Easter Road.

I think it could work.

Those four London grounds would have been on a preliminary list and whittled down to two if they'd won. You could have maximum of two grounds in a city so one of Celtic or Rangers would have to go, as would one of Hearts or Hibs if Murrayfield is involved. I imagine England would only have London as a two ground city meaning Man City and Everton miss out as Old Trafford and Anfield are more iconic.

Would expect England to have four groups and the other Home Nations to have one each, so Scotland would avoid the Celtic/Rangers debate by having neither and playing matches at Hampden/Murrayfield.

f**k knows where the two Northern Irish grounds are coming from, though.

I'd still rather have an English World Cup, and have a Scotland/Wales/Republic of Ireland Euros. Forget Northern Ireland.

Two grounds per group, so sixteen grounds. Six for Scotland, six for Republic or Ireland, four for Wales. Hardly impossible.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

57 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I don’t agree with that. If we keep it to Scotland and Wales, Aberdeen have talked about a new ground for years. Swansea are a pretty big club - I’m not sure upping their ground to 30,000 would make it a white elephant. We’re not talking about building a new stadium in Aberystwyth or the mythical new ground in Stirlingshire that was never going to happen. Wrexham could be I grant you but they do have plans to expand (by a much smaller number I grant you) but they do have money behind them now and Wales have played there before.

For the hypothetical bid to work, Glasgow and Cardiff would have to be multi-ground cities for it to work. Incidentally, the England World Cup 2018 bid had four grounds in London while the Scotland/Ireland bid for the Euros in the 2000s had Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park and Murrayfield as the Scottish venues plus two out of the three of a new Aberdeen stadium, a new Dundee stadium and an expanded Easter Road.

I think it could work.

None of those bids were successful though so not sure that proves a huge amount 

On 08/02/2022 at 21:02, Ayr23 said:
On 08/02/2022 at 20:54, Lurkst said:
Absolutely. Not sure of the feasibility of it but definitely one of the best efforts I've seen emoji106.png

I don't think there'd be a second tier behind the goals, but I'm sure they are actively making plans to bring the East and West stands closer to the pitch.

I think they'll  make the park bigger.

None of those bids were successful though so not sure that proves a huge amount 

The Qatar World Cup has 3 stadiums in Al-Rayyan and 2 in Doha. Ultimately where the stadiums are and how many are in each city is utterly irrelevant, what matters is the political wrangling in the background.

Getting these Euros will be a quid pro quo for the UK pulling out of the 2030 World Cup process to give Argentina/Uruguay a clear run at it - this is part of the UEFA/CONMEBOL cooperation which will also be an attempt to kibosh the FIFA plans for a World Cup every two years.