Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

43 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I don’t actually mind a 32 team euros. 24 is an awful format so I’d rather they just chuck away any semblance of qualifying being an achievement and move to a workable 32 team format.

8 stadiums in England (London cluster Wembley and London stadium, North West cluster Old Trafford and Anfield, North East cluster Stadium of Light and St James’s Park, Midlands cluster Villa Park and King Power Stadium)

2 in Scotland (Hampden in Glasgow, Murrayfield in Edinburgh)

2 in Wales (Principality in Cardiff, Liberty in Swansea)

2 in NI (Windsor Park in Belfast, Celtic Park in Derry)

2 in ROI (Aviva in Dublin, Parc Ui Chaomh Cork)

Each cluster hosts one group.

The larger stadium in each cluster hosts a last-16 game.

QFs in London, Manchester, Belfast, Dublin

SFs Glasgow and Cardiff

Final at Wembley 

These 3 don't meet the minimum criteria.

I'd like to see the stadium proposals, but my initial thought is that it's going to end up with England hosting the vast majority including both semis and the final, with Glasgow, Cardiff and Dublin getting 3 group games and a token last 16 match.

Not massively keen on this tbh, it will essentially be another home Euros for England which the last one kind of became in the end. I also think give the fan behaviour there, that it is more likely to make the bid less successful to have them involved.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

If it means money becomes available to redevelop Hampden then I'm all for it.

I seem to recall reading that one drawback of the World Cup bid was that Hampden would require redevelopment work, whereas there would be less need to do that with a Euros bid.

50 minutes ago, Lester Freamon said:

These 3 don't meet the minimum criteria.

I would assume that a 32 team euros would lead to smaller stadiums being acceptable for group games at least. Even still, this bid will come with upgrades and redevelopments 

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I would expect both semis to be in two of Glasgow/Cardiff/Dublin, probably the latter two, and for whoever doesn't to get a quarter along with Belfast.

The thought of England playing every game at Wembley before being pumped out in the semis in Dublin/Cardiff/Glasgow is a tantalising prospect tbf.

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I would assume that a 32 team euros would lead to smaller stadiums being acceptable for group games at least. Even still, this bid will come with upgrades and redevelopments 

It's a 30,000 minimum capacity required, I can't see that changing given the number of stadia in the UK that already fit the criteria. Northern Ireland's participation will hinge on whether they can get the proposed 34000 Casement Park built.

1 minute ago, Lester Freamon said:

It's a 30,000 minimum capacity required, I can't see that changing given the number of stadia in the UK that already fit the criteria. Northern Ireland's participation will hinge on whether they can get the proposed 34000 Casement Park built.

Possibly we could even see NI not get a proper group then and just get 3 home games at Casement Park with the other games in that group being played South of the border.

35 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Possibly we could even see NI not get a proper group then and just get 3 home games at Casement Park with the other games in that group being played South of the border.

Yeah I can't see NI (and probably Wales too) having any more than the 1 stadium involved. Obviously it's still up in the air regarding the number of teams involved, but even a 32 team tournament doesn't need any more than 12 venues, with 2 groups spread over 3 stadia.

Groups A + B

Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Tottenham 

C+D

Cardiff, Old Trafford, Anfield

E+F

Elland Road, St James Park, Hampden

G+H

Casement Park, Aviva, Croke Park

Chuck in Villa Park, St. Mary's and Murrayfield/Celtic Park to host a group game or 2.

TBH if we are gonna go for a 32 team Euros we may as well give the top 9 teams in Europe a bye to the 2nd round (either by rankings or nations league), and have everyone else enter the 1st round home/away fixtures and a proper knockout tournament. Then you can have the final four in a single city if ye really want a host

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Let’s go full white elephant and host the whole thing in Scotland:

Murrayfield 67k
Celtic Park 60k
Hampden 51k
Ibrox 50k
Aberdeen Beach Arena 40k
Easter Road with the corners filled in 35.1k
Tynecastle with Romanov’s main stand 35k
Waterfront DundeeDome 32k
Estadio Inverness 30k
Stade de Stirling 30k

9 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

50% of teams qualifying for the euros having to go home after one game? That sounds tragic.

I’ve long favoured a 40 team World Cup, but 24 qualifying directly to the group stage and 16 qualifying to a final qualifying round held in the host country a few days before the tournament. 

If we are serious about expansion, I'd properly tear up the entire process of qualification in Europe.  Get everyone involved, maybe even pre-qualification in the host country to thin down the numbers, but do away with the main qualification and put more focus on the Nations League and World Cup Qualifying.  If we're going to 32 there really is no point in running qualification for a lot of teams.  3 from every group plus hosts is taking the piss.

Just now, forameus said:

If we are serious about expansion, I'd properly tear up the entire process of qualification in Europe.  Get everyone involved, maybe even pre-qualification in the host country to thin down the numbers, but do away with the main qualification and put more focus on the Nations League and World Cup Qualifying.  If we're going to 32 there really is no point in running qualification for a lot of teams.  3 from every group plus hosts is taking the piss.

Have everyone in Europe playing a tournament every 4th summer. 

Main European championship is all the teams in leagues A and B. Then a separate one for the diddies. Could maybe invite some non-European minnows or some little island "nations" to make up the numbers.