Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

Agree with others that it's daft having any of the other nations involved. England could easily bid alone. Some of the English stadium choices are stinking though. I'd much rather see more iconic stadiums or stadiums of clubs with a rich history getting a look in ie Hillsborough, Elland Road and the Forest Ground. Even places like Portman Road would have been quite cool. It would give these clubs an opportunity to maybe renovate/expand their aging grounds.

As much as I think the token gesture is daft, I won't be complaining if the bid wins. I'm led to believe that the SFA will be looking to redevelop Hampden if the bid is successful, so hopefully it happens and it might pave the way for the much needed works. You'd hope that the SFA would choose to go down the Stuttgart route and redevelop their ground like they did.

mercedes-benz-EnBW-cannstatter-kurve.jpg.ec70a0c4f0e6e27b30c02793e862efb0.jpg

5060465905_a4b7cbc831_b.thumb.jpg.ebbdf185e5815f6ce67377761da920d0.jpg

stuttgart-v-leipzig.jpg.36ba4794dac411a0dc72b24f827dc7f6.jpg

ghost-match-view-from-journalists-seat-on-the-grandstand-to-empty-stadium-mercedes-benz-arena-stuttgart-baden-wrttemberg-germany-europe-2E104FE.thumb.jpg.9dbce98b2e91ba898e30d6d4cbfdaddc.jpg

ibr-1087911.thumb.jpg.995b8506eef8f442940d575e90846bfd.jpg

germany-baden-wuerttemberg-stuttgart-aerial-view-of-neckarpark-with-mercedes-benz-arena-WD002772.thumb.jpg.a4f9da98fd3cded8bda68043cfe480e5.jpg

17 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I genuinely believe it’s for political reasons, it will be used as part of the “Great” British campaign 

While some governments and political parties will absolutely do this, the official bid can hardly indulge in this kind of thing when the Republic of Ireland is involved.

You'd assume that cutting this down to 10 would mean that the London Stadium, City of Manchester Stadium, Stadium of Light and Croke Park get binned. Only having 6 of 10 from England makes sharing it out a bit less tokenistic and there's no point including anyone who doesn't provide a stadium at all, so a redeveloped Casement Park has to be in. The only way Ireland gets two is if England only gets five.

Can hosts use say 12 stadiums if they want, or must it be precisely 10?

Still really odd to have 2 stadiums in Dublin and Manchester but only 1 from all Scotland with no use of Murrayfield.

Ditto no Arsenal (although understandable if you want Olympic Stadium), Liverpool or Leeds.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

As much as I think the token gesture is daft, I won't be complaining if the bid wins. I'm led to believe that the SFA will be looking to redevelop Hampden if the bid is successful, so hopefully it happens and it might pave the way for the much needed works. You'd hope that the SFA would choose to go down the Stuttgart route and redevelop their ground like they did.

Presumably you're expecting to add a 0 to the redevelopment budget?

50 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Isn’t Casement Park in a heavily republican part of Belfast?

I definitely can’t see any issues from Northern Ireland games being played there if it transpires that way, no siree.

The ultra Loyalists are fizzing. It's a great laugh.

That said who knows when Casement will be built.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

I genuinely believe it’s for political reasons, it will be used as part of the “Great” British campaign 

What?  The FA are launching a bid with the RoI and it's a "part of the (non-existent) “Great” British campaign?

Ayes, must be a conspiracy right enough.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Can hosts use say 12 stadiums if they want, or must it be precisely 10?

Still really odd to have 2 stadiums in Dublin and Manchester but only 1 from all Scotland with no use of Murrayfield.

Ditto no Arsenal (although understandable if you want Olympic Stadium), Liverpool or Leeds.

Presumably you're expecting to add a 0 to the redevelopment budget?

Liverpool isn't big enough pitch wise, is it? Think they get some kind of dispensation for Champions League matches but the pitch is smaller than the size required for international matches I'm sure (3 yards or so too short?).

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Liverpool isn't big enough pitch wise, is it? Think they get some kind of dispensation for Champions League matches but the pitch is smaller than the size required for international matches I'm sure (3 yards or so too short?).

Fair enough - apparently 4m short.

Euro 2020 was across Europe I think it was a good idea so smaller countries with largish stadium and cities could host matches. Was the worst possible time to have due being in a pandemic. I would be in favour of having the format every 2nd tournament and so 4 years after allow a large single host e.g. Germany, France, Italy, England, Spain.  

In the 3 euros prior to 2020 that involved co-hosts they were equal partners 4 stadiums each. This 2028 bid just looks very lopsided, looks like a done deal though. Just seems crazy that Northern Ireland who don't even have a functioning government and no approval or ground broken on proposed stadium gets in ahead of Edinburgh and a stadium with 67k capacity. Seem crazy Anfield and Old Trafford not going to be involved at all. 

England could host it on their own so don’t see why a joint bid includes them. If it’s 10 stadiums you could have:

Millenium
Liberty
Cork GAA
Landsdowne Road
Croke
Casement
Hampden
Ibrox/Parkhead
Murrayfield
New Pittodrie

The loyalists being furious that Windsor Park isn’t included is a good laugh though, of course it’s nothing to do with the fact it’s tiny, don’t be ridiculous.

Would imagine it will work something like:

Group A - 3 England games at Wembley, Old Trafford and Newcastle. Other 3 games held at Everton, Villa Park and Tottenham

Group B - 3 ROI games in Dublin and other 3 games Liverpool 

Group C - Hampden and Newcastle. (Guaranteed to include Scotland if we qualify)

Group D - Cardiff and Birmingham (Guaranteed to include Wales if they qualify)

Group E - Belfast and Old Trafford (Guaranteed to include NI if they qualify)

Group F - Wembley and Tottenham

Sunderland, London stadium, Etihad and Croke miss out

The four grounds outside England get a last 16 game and QF each. The other four last 16 games go to Villa Park, Everton, Tottenham and Newcastle.

Wembley and old Trafford each get a semi final and Wembley gets the final. 

Would mean 5/6 games per ground 

I’ve said this before but what about a Celtic Nations bid? Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Murrayfield and the proposed Aberdeen stadium for Scotland, Casement Park and Windsor Park for Northern Ireland, the Millennium Stadium, the Cardiff City Stadium and an upgraded Liberty Stadium for Wales and Croke Park, Aviva and somewhere in Cork (or elsewhere) for Ireland. 

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I’ve said this before but what about a Celtic Nations bid? Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Murrayfield and the proposed Aberdeen stadium for Scotland, Casement Park and Windsor Park for Northern Ireland, the Millennium Stadium, the Cardiff City Stadium and an upgraded Liberty Stadium for Wales and Croke Park, Aviva and somewhere in Cork (or elsewhere) for Ireland. 

Windsor Park is a kowp and despite having plenty stadia all over 30k only Croke and Aviva in Ireland have over 30k seated. 

A lot of the big GAA grounds are pretty spartan too - in a good way. Just old style huge terracing.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork would be the obvious one but it was only done up in 2017 and I doubt they would agree to lose their terracing.

On 16/11/2022 at 13:56, Leith Green said:

Can't disagree, only to have Hampden in that list is mind boggling.

I’m struggling to understand why Dublin not renown as a big football city gets two stadium on the list yet football daft Scotland (highest per capita attendance in Europe) gets only one. SFA arsing it up as per. Edinburgh/Murrayfield should be on that list before a second Dublin stadium.

Edited by Gallant Pioneer

This is the current nick of Casement Park in Belfast. Given the lack of devolved government there and impending squeeze on spending / borrowing what chance this place actually makes the cut?

nt_Park-_Read-Only_.jpg

201213166-45c32174-426d-4681-a49c-f5b690

60casement.jpg

6STRTL3YCVFDBOXEZUOVEZ6GTA.jpg

285-982b699244fc337ede425a1dbdc94070.jpg

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

A lot of the big GAA grounds are pretty spartan too - in a good way. Just old style huge terracing.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork would be the obvious one but it was only done up in 2017 and I doubt they would agree to lose their terracing.

Tbf you could probably temporarily seat the ends.

Hero-Image-P%C3%A1irc-U%C3%AD-Chaoimh.jp

Pairc-Ui-Chaoimh.jpg

?width=630&version=5551285

991c0894b4c14d8b4b42e3fa947d9bc1.jpg