Highland Trapdoorwatch 2021-22

Ray Patterson

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fair enough on that one then. The NCL definitely should also be included in that if they haven't been already.

I'd be surprised if the North Caley winner isn't in next season's Scottish Cup. Feels like an aberration no-one's got round to fixing yet whilst covid/getting the pyramid all set was going on.

I'm not sure of Dyce's intentions but their floodlights are up now. Given their cup performances this year I think they have a shot at winning the Superleague next season. Here's hoping we have proper playoffs next year, can't be as poor as this year, that's for sure.

24 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'd be surprised if the North Caley winner isn't in next season's Scottish Cup. Feels like an aberration no-one's got round to fixing yet whilst covid/getting the pyramid all set was going on.

I don't think it's something they've actively pursued. Time of year conflicting with summer ams & travel expenses. Not to mention the couple of times the Scottish opened up qualifying routes the NCL were often struggling for members. 

44 minutes ago, B75 said:

There'll be a few more midland league teams soon, then Golspie and Fort will have no chance of promotion.

Not necessarily, if one of the top Midlands League clubs doesn't get licensed quickly and wins the title in the same season Golspie or FW do. Could see that scenario happening over the next five years. Hopefully not though so the influx of strong new clubs into the HL unfolds as quickly as possible.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not sure of Dyce's intentions but their floodlights are up now. Given their cup performances this year I think they have a shot at winning the Superleague next season. Here's hoping we have proper playoffs next year, can't be as poor as this year, that's for sure.

Great news re the floodlights - when did they go up?

1 minute ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Great news re the floodlights - when did they go up?

Not sure, they were asking around for second hand ones about a year ago but they're definitely up now. Only about 3 years ago their chairman was claiming they couldn't even think about them as it would confuse pilots coming to land at Aberdeen Airport, so the club has obviously moved ahead a long way. :lol:

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure, they were asking around for second hand ones about a year ago but they're definitely up now. Only about 3 years ago their chairman was claiming they couldn't even think about them as it would confuse pilots coming to land at Aberdeen Airport, so the club has obviously moved ahead a long way. :lol:

Love it, lol.

With electricity through the roof, perhaps the airport could no longer afford landing lights, and so Dyce FC to the rescue!

Longer term as you've alluded to, the more licensed clubs the better as the play-offs certainly deserve better.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Have FW submitted their appeal against themselves for withdrawing from the tie yet?

Not a word. Meanwhile the NCL have invited them to their end of season meeting to discuss their participation. They don't anticipate any issues.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4220498/north-caledonian-league-dont-see-any-problems-with-highland-league-drop-outs-fort-william-rejoining-their-ranks/

14 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Less games, less travel, not gonna get humped every week by far superior teams. Ye'd think Fort William will be able to manage a season in the North Caley without making a tit of it. Probably the best thing that's ever happened to them.

Considering they were considering voluntarily moving down to the NCL just a few seasons ago, you'd think it shouldn't even be much of an issue for them.

Haven't seen an appeal mentioned in any mainstream media source and the P&J seem confident to state:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4220498/north-caledonian-league-dont-see-any-problems-with-highland-league-drop-outs-fort-william-rejoining-their-ranks/

The Claggan Park outfit have been demoted from the Breedon Highland League after withdrawing from their pyramid play-off tie against North Region Junior champions Banks o’ Dee, which was scheduled to conclude on Saturday...

so maybe reality kicked in when they had to sit down and figure out what the grounds for the appeal were going be. Once they withdrew they were toast regardless of the rights and wrongs of any HL ruling as far as I can see, because they failed to fulfill a competitive fixture at that point.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Not a word. Meanwhile the NCL have invited them to their end of season meeting to discuss their participation. They don't anticipate any issues.

I'd suggest no issues and FW is wishful thinking......

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I can pre-empitivley reveal leaked footage of Fort William's welcome at the end of season meeting.

image.png.10503479746032024654d0b0c19436dd.png