Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's next permanent manager?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does McGhee really still have to serve a six match touch line ban?
I mean, there’s 13 league games left.
Taking away the obvious hilarity of McGhee, appointing a manager at this stage of the season who can’t be in the dugout for about half of your remaining games is a bit mental in itself.

On the face of it, Mark Mcghee looks a hilarious appointment but it depends on what version of him turns up.

He put together one of the best Motherwell teams in my lifetime after Maurice Malpas tried his hardest to relegate us the season before. Granted that was 15 years ago and the following season was nowhere near as good (I'm sure we were bottom at Christmas). Likewise, he took over Ian Baraclough's shambles of a team and finished comfortably in 5th. The next season, however, was a complete disaster. We seemed to get pumped every other week and I genuinely think he signed players based on who's name he liked the best.

TL:DR - if he's motivated it could turn out okay. If not it'll be a hilarious disaster.

Can really only +1 @YassinMoutaouakil and @Ron Aldo's posts.

McGhee definitely doesn't do himself any favours but he turned a squad that finished 10th under Malpas into legitimately one of the best Motherwell teams of the last 30 odd years and finished 3rd. Even in his second spell he managed to turn around Baraclough's side that was going nowhere fast to finish 5th.

The second season of his 2nd stint seemed to fall apart when Robinson left for Oldham and we replaced him with McFadden and as Ron Aldo mentioned it seemed like some of the signings were simply down to him picking the names he liked the best from the list our HoR gave him but even then we were still 6th at the end of January. The free fall we hit came in February with the (infamous) 7-2 loss at Pittodrie and the 5-1 loss to Dundee at Fir Park.

As Yassin said a page or so back, even with 5/6 years hindsight it's still kind of difficult to evaluate his time at Motherwell. I don't think any of us would want him back as manager and he seems to have been in the wilderness since but there's definitely a sense that his general personality overshadows the fact that for a lot of the time he actually did a very, very good job at Motherwell (until he didn't).

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Can really only +1 @YassinMoutaouakil and @Ron Aldo's posts.

McGhee definitely doesn't do himself any favours but he turned a squad that finished 10th under Malpas into legitimately one of the best Motherwell teams of the last 30 odd years and finished 3rd. Even in his second spell he managed to turn around Baraclough's side that was going nowhere fast to finish 5th.

The second season of his 2nd stint seemed to fall apart when Robinson left for Oldham and we replaced him with McFadden and as Ron Aldo mentioned it seemed like some of the signings were simply down to him picking the names he liked the best from the list our HoR gave him but even then we were still 6th at the end of January. The free fall we hit came in February with the (infamous) 7-2 loss at Pittodrie and the 5-1 loss to Dundee at Fir Park.

As Yassin said a page or so back, even with 5/6 years hindsight it's still kind of difficult to evaluate his time at Motherwell. I don't think any of us would want him back as manager and he seems to have been in the wilderness since but there's definitely a sense that his general personality overshadows the fact that for a lot of the time he actually did a very, very good job at Motherwell (until he didn't).

That personality though

del bosque soccer GIF by Fusion

Nelms really does help promote the league with a comedy niche lev that is hard to achieve. I personally think he might just have a deep seated but rational aversion to the dark blue comedy club.

That makes more sense than just endless incompetence. When u go down will they get rid of McGhee and wheel in Jocky?

Maybe just let the team do what they want and get Strachan to do a 15 minute zoom talk a fortnight.