Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'd say not Murray. Vs Utd, I think the game passed him by a bit and I fear tonight would be the same. I think it will be the Butterfield, Crawford, McPherson combo you mentioned. It's less them being light that worries me, it's that they are all a bit slow on the ball and St Mirren will be right on top of them. CD will be able to see in McPherson whether playing his former team will bring more put in him or be a hindering factor.

St Mirren will be our hardest hame post Kelty, so players will need to be up for it. 

I am not expecting many to agree with this but I would start with Middleton on the right of the midfield three with Butterfield centre and MacPherson on the left. Middleton gives us more energy and Macpherson is a far better player than Crawford with something to prove against The Fuddies.

Difficult decision who comes into midfield  for Saints tonight.  Power dominated in the game at McD, and a combination of Butterfield, Crawford and MacPherson doesn’t sound physical enough for the battle.
On the other hand, if you bring Murray in you maybe lose the passing through midfield game which we’ve been better at the past couple of games, up to the sending off obviously.  A night for Liam Craig ?
Came on to say the same about the midfield tonight. Butterfield, MacPherson and Crawford strikes me as a midfield that could be run over completely. Davidson is the obvious one to come in. Gilmour didn't even make the squad Saturday so can't see him starting. Sang might be another option in there?

Most the team picks itself with the absences. Only two slight questions who are the two alongside Butterfield and if he freshens up either of the wing back positions (doubtful). Be good to see may get a goal tonight to back up a better performance on Saturday but I'll take anything now with likely three or four more available for Aberdeen in a week

Bit of intrigue with McPherson coming in against us now. Plenty Saints fans felt strongly that we should have kept him. They were wrong, but they felt strongly.

He doesn't get anywhere near our current midfield so will be interesting to see how he performs. He must by pumped for this game and will surely resent being farmed out to the footballing wilderness. Could be dangerous.

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

Yep - Gogic and Power in the centre of that midfield please. Cammy will run about like a headless chicken flying into tackles leading to the inevitable sending off.

Did he actually manage to tackle for you? He always seems to be "just" too late to make tackles or close someone down; almost like he wants to look like he's working really hard to close down and put pressure on the opposition, but isn't really. He also seems to take a split second too long to react to situations, which means the game seems to pass him by completely when we don't have possession. I think he always looks a bit lost on the pitch and doesn't really know what he's meant to be doing. 

Him and Crawford in the same midfield, particularly against guys like Power and Gogic, gives me the absolute fear. 

Like that line up. We need to win so absolutely no harm in rolling the dice on the wing backs, we know Brown/Booth won't create enough so let's see what Gallacher/Sang can do.

Don't think we can play Butterfield and Davidson in the same midfield if we aim to win a game, so aye that's fine. MacPherson as good a replacement for Hallberg as we have and anyone who's played FM knows what's happening there.

Thought we might see Middleton start so let's hope he has one of his good days.

Bit of intrigue with McPherson coming in against us now. Plenty Saints fans felt strongly that we should have kept him. They were wrong, but they felt strongly.
He doesn't get anywhere near our current midfield so will be interesting to see how he performs. He must by pumped for this game and will surely resent being farmed out to the footballing wilderness. Could be dangerous.

I think the shout about him running about frantically trying a bit too hard before lunging in and getting sent off is a genuine concern.

Completely forgot about Gilmour when I was weighing up our midfield options, he would have been my choice.

Instead we've gone a bit mental with the changes; are we going 5-4-1 with Middleton wide, or is he a straight swap for May to support Hendry....?

Middleton will be doing Mays role of supporting Hendry and drifting onto wings, I'd guess. Difference being he can beat players with pace (occasionally).

More than happy to see changes despite the recent upturn in form. Needed the manager to be brave tonight and I think he has been, so up to the players now.

Has that midfield three started together since *that* night? Not a fan of Middleton through the middle normally but Mays been dropping off and letting Hendry doing the last man stuff so might work a bit better.

Not sure I’d have dropped Butterfield for this one. I worry that we’re not going to be able to keep the ball under pressure with that midfield. Murray will win it, but who knows who he passes to! 

Don’t mind Middleton in for May, especially when you look at where May has been playing recently. He’s usually wandering out wide and at the edge of the box. Middleton in theory should do well out there. 

I’m pretty worried about that midfield 3 tbh. About as far from what I’d have picked as was possible. Aside from that I’m excited to see both new wing backs in and think right choice to bring Middleton in. We could get some joy putting in decent balls to Hendry.

And if not, there’s always the Bair. What happened to international clearance?