Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I can see why st Mirren fans feel they should be winning this, but is it really a must win?

No, not at all, would be nice to win though. A draw would likely take us up at least one position in the league (it could even take us into the top six), and we will still have a game in hand (against Dundee) on five of the six other teams in the mid table crush with us.  A loss would be quite the bubble burster given how well 2022 has been going, but our points return since the break would still be above expectations. I can see why the Saintees fans see it as must win though, it's hard to see a route to tenth for you unless you win games like this. 

It will be yet another attritional game which will either be a draw or decided by a mistake or moment of quality, like all our home league games. Every single one of them this season has either been a draw or been decided by one goal, this will surely be no different. 

Edited by Lex

Daily Record saying that Lyness picked up a knock in training. With Urminsky at Stenny, I'm assuming we'll have a 16 year old sub keeper tonight...

EDIT: Just read in the PDE that the club have asked the SFA permission to bring Urminsky back temporarily. I guess we'll find out tonight if that's been granted... if not we'll have to do an emergency loan.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Time running out for St Mirren to ensure Munoz doesn’t owe a charity of my choice a tenner at the end of the season, what with the Buddies dreadful recent form and Saints awe-inspiring upturn in results and performances bound to instigate a charge up the table. It’s a big chance missed for the best Buddies team in 40 years if they can’t find a way to thwart us here, and would really beg the question: will St Mirren ever finish above us again?

(Nil-nil, both teams with a man sent off and a combined 3 shots on target all game. Saints banter page to hail “another step in the right erection coys #packrule” and Callum Davidson to say after the game that he’s delighted “the players have given the fans something to cheer about”. Again)

57 minutes ago, Lex said:

No, not at all, would be nice to win though. A draw would likely take us up at least one position in the league (it could even take us into the top six), and we will still have a game in hand (against Dundee) on five of the six other teams in the mid table crush with us.  A loss would be quite the bubble burster given how well 2022 has been going, but our points return since the break would still be above expectations. I can see why the Saintees fans see it as must win though, it's hard to see a route to tenth for you unless you win games like this. 

It will be yet another attritional game which will either be a draw or decided by a mistake or moment of quality, like all our home league games. Every single one of them this season has either been a draw or been decided by one goal, this will surely be no different. 

IF We actually try to attack we might just win but I'm betting we will be as bad as we were in the Well game and get beat .

1 minute ago, elvis said:

IF We actually try to attack we might just win but I'm betting we will be as bad as we were in the Well game and get beat .

You predict we will lose every game tbf.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

It will be yet another attritional game which will either be a draw or decided by a mistake or moment of quality, like all our home league games. 

That’s every single game we’ve played between October and kelty this season.

Apart from the ‘moment of quality’ bit.

Difficult decision who comes into midfield  for Saints tonight.  Power dominated in the game at McD, and a combination of Butterfield, Crawford and MacPherson doesn’t sound physical enough for the battle.

On the other hand, if you bring Murray in you maybe lose the passing through midfield game which we’ve been better at the past couple of games, up to the sending off obviously.  A night for Liam Craig ?

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Daily Record saying that Lyness picked up a knock in training. With Urminsky at Stenny, I'm assuming we'll have a 16 year old sub keeper tonight...

EDIT: Just read in the PDE that the club have asked the SFA permission to bring Urminsky back temporarily. I guess we'll find out tonight if that's been granted... if not we'll have to do an emergency loan.

That's not going to happen,  only last week Comoros had to play an ACON game with an outfield player starting in goal. Closer to home Ryan Stevenson had to play in goal for Ayr v Raith in our great escape season.

Difficult decision who comes into midfield  for Saints tonight.  Power dominated in the game at McD, and a combination of Butterfield, Crawford and MacPherson doesn’t sound physical enough for the battle.
On the other hand, if you bring Murray in you maybe lose the passing through midfield game which we’ve been better at the past couple of games, up to the sending off obviously.  A night for Liam Craig ?

Gilmour! Not as soft as MacPherson, can pass it around better than Murray and more mobile than Craig. He’s not been brilliant but I’d have him in there over the alternatives tonight. If he isn’t injured?

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'd say not Murray. Vs Utd, I think the game passed him by a bit and I fear tonight would be the same. I think it will be the Butterfield, Crawford, McPherson combo you mentioned. It's less them being light that worries me, it's that they are all a bit slow on the ball and St Mirren will be right on top of them. CD will be able to see in McPherson whether playing his former team will bring more put in him or be a hindering factor.

St Mirren will be our hardest hame post Kelty, so players will need to be up for it. 

On 08/02/2022 at 13:30, buddie06smfc said:

If you can manage to put together a squad between now and the end of the season (doubtful presumably?) to amass enough points to stay up, you’ll be able to experience first-hand the measures we will be putting in place at the SMiSA stadium to offset the carbon footprint caused by our generous perks provided to players. 

A new Celtic shop?

48 minutes ago, Lex said:

You predict we will lose every game tbf.

St Mirren have only won 3 out of 15 against this mob I would say with the way we play at home there's a more than good chance they will continue to better us tonight.

43 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Gogic should start tonight as well, he was absolutely everywhere against Motherwell and way more attacking than I ever seen him for Hibs.

Should be a good tussle in the middle of the park.

Gogic should start tonight as well, he was absolutely everywhere against Motherwell and way more attacking than I ever seen him for Hibs.
Should be a good tussle in the middle of the park.

Yep - Gogic and Power in the centre of that midfield please. Cammy will run about like a headless chicken flying into tackles leading to the inevitable sending off.

49 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

That's not going to happen,  only last week Comoros had to play an ACON game with an outfield player starting in goal. Closer to home Ryan Stevenson had to play in goal for Ayr v Raith in our great escape season.

Clangers on the bench klaxon.