Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

You won't hear anyone at Saints talk about this being a must win - but looking at our run of fixtures after this, failure to put three points on the board could be a disaster. Our next five are away to Aberdeen, County and Hibs, with home fixtures against Rangers and Hearts in the mix. We've improved since the Kelty game - no doubt at all - but that's a tough run at any time and we could easily find ourselves rooted firmly to the bottom after it if we don't pick up at least two wins.
We need to set up to win this. Over the past three games we've managed to work good positions on the right fairly frequently - but James Brown is just not an attacking threat. I think he's a perfectly reasonable right back - but he's being asked to play in a more advanced role and be a creative spark, which he just doesn't have in him. Sang probably needs his chance. With Hallberg out I'd be inclined to play Davidson alongside Butterfield with Crawford ahead of them. May and Hendry are certainties up front.
Clark
Cleary Gordon McCart
Sang Davidson Butterfield Booth
Crawford
May Hendry

Yes, although Brown got in one or two decent crosses in the first half v Utd, he was on the ball in good attacking positions so often we should have got far more out of it. A lot of the time he gets the ball with space in front of him and turns back.

I'll still be surprised if it's not him that starts though. Davidson loves a steady reliable player where he knows what he'll get rather than any kind of gamble. It does seem such a wasted opportunity, as we've been far better at getting into good attacking areas and in Hendry we have a striker who loves to attack crosses. His activity and presence has also freed up space for May.

One thing I was thinking in the Utd game prior to the sending off, was that our entire attacking threat is based around getting the ball wide and putting crosses/ cut backs in. We work very little in central areas. So it emphasises even more how important a bit of quality at wing back is.

FWIW I think I'd consider Middleton for this tbh. May has done well but if Taits playing on the left you want someone who can run at him, and it won't be Brown or MacPherson. Target Shaughnessy in the air (he's shite in the air unless he gets a run up/if hes involved in a fight first) then try and get Middleton 1v1 with Tait.
Added benefit is Shaughnessy is liable to do something stupid under pressure.
Would be harsh on May but you have to play to exploit weaknesses.
That's the Fakes Shaunessey. Sounds nothing like the guy we have been watching but you guys ho that way if you think it will work !

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

That's the Fakes Shaunessey. Sounds nothing like the guy we have been watching but you guys ho that way if you think it will work !

Does it not get tiring this need to tell everyone how much better everything at St Mirren is?

It's certainly tiring to read. Can't even have a discussion about a players strengths/weaknesses.

9 league games left sitting in a great position for a top six spot which would be a incredible achievement by Jim Goodwin with the third lowest budget in the league. Would be great to see Alex Greive get on the score sheet the young man looked good against Hibs being just a baw hair away from a goal though will take a goal from anyone.  Main is out thankfully tonight I'm going for a Paisley St Mirren win . 

FWIW I think I'd consider Middleton for this tbh. May has done well but if Taits playing on the left you want someone who can run at him, and it won't be Brown or MacPherson. Target Shaughnessy in the air (he's shite in the air unless he gets a run up/if hes involved in a fight first) then try and get Middleton 1v1 with Tait.
Added benefit is Shaughnessy is liable to do something stupid under pressure.
Would be harsh on May but you have to play to exploit weaknesses.
Talking pish yet again

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

You won't hear anyone at Saints talk about this being a must win - but looking at our run of fixtures after this, failure to put three points on the board could be a disaster.

3 points here are huge.

Dundee away to Hearts so you hope they lose, then their next league game is against Celtic a week on Sunday. We have 2 games in between (Aberdeen then Hearts at home).

If, massive fucking if, we can pick up a win tonight, then 3 or 4 points from the next two games, then psychologically that's a huge blow to them heading into a match against Celtic.

We need 3, it’s a must win considering Dundee are away to hearts. Just do what we can. Defence is looking more confident and our attackers have shown they can score more than once in a match.

As I said before, every games now is a must win unless it’s against the OF. Sick of seeing happy clapping gimps saying shit like “another draw but lots of positives to take, players worked hard today, on and upwards to the next one COYS [emoji170]🤍[emoji170]🤍.” These folk will be saying this nonsense until they realise that we are one game away from potentially being mathematically stuck in the bottom two. After finally getting some goals and win I am feeling foolishly optimistic that we can somehow claw our way out of this mess.

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

As I said before, every games now is a must win unless it’s against the OF. Sick of seeing happy clapping gimps saying shit like “another draw but lots of positives to take, players worked hard today, on and upwards to the next one COYS emoji170.png🤍emoji170.png🤍.” These folk will be saying this nonsense until they realise that we are on the verge of mathematically stuck in the bottom two. After finally getting some goals and win I am feeling foolishly optimistic that we can somehow claw our way out of this mess.

I feel it's as much of a must win for us as you, ultimately last season was a disappointment to me, and a home win against a team struggling to get it's act together after a poor "first half" of the season is required to maintain momentum and avoid the possibility of the season sliding into one where we're looking over our shoulders.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does it not get tiring this need to tell everyone how much better everything at St Mirren is?

It's certainly tiring to read. Can't even have a discussion about a players strengths/weaknesses.

And the winner for Least Self Awareness is……………..

26 minutes ago, btb said:

I feel it's as much of a must win for us as you, ultimately last season was a disappointment to me, and a home win against a team struggling to get it's act together after a poor "first half" of the season is required to maintain momentum and avoid the possibility of the season sliding into one where we're looking over our shoulders.

I can see why st Mirren fans feel they should be winning this, but is it really a must win? There’s so much inconsistency amongst the clubs 3rd to 10th that you’ll have plenty of opportunity to make it back up. 

For everyone apart from us and Dundee, every other team in the league must fancy their chances of winning any match home or away outwith those against the oF this season.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Callum Davidson has confirmed Hallberg misses this, btw, since their was some confusion around it.

Sounds like it will be MacPherson who replaces him.

The only confusion was with the zoomer who writes for The Courier saying he'd be available tonight when that was so patently untrue.

Edited by Arch Stanton

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

St Mirren home league wins: 2

St Johnstone away league wins: 3

Should be comfortable enough for us this evening. 

We've only lost 3 on 12 home games. If anything a draw looks most likely. 

4-0 Saints. Shaughnessy 4.

15 minutes ago, Munoz said:

We've only lost 3 on 12 home games. If anything a draw looks most likely. 

4-0 Saints. Shaughnessy 4.

My, what a lovely avatar you have, Munoz.

Tickets bought for my kids, their 100% st Mirren home record is set to continue, 3-1 to the Buddies, Joe, Connor Ronan and Tate for the goodies. 

Callum Davidson to give an acceptable performance of a cave troll in the post match interview. Goodwin to be his magnificent self.  

Don’t you just love midweek home games in winter, in Paisley, when the Sevco are at home too, and 50,000 chunts will be heading the same direction as little ol’ me… pah. Plus, the M8 Eastbound will be closed tonight, so that buggers up the trip home after the game. …a heads up for any travelling Saintees, or Buddies who will need to have a wee think about evening motorway closures and bawbag Sevconians.

Back to my plan B. SMiSA Stadium - Erskine Bridge - Hardgate - Milngavie - flick the V sign as I pass Murray Park - Torrance Roundabout - Kirkintilloch - Cumbernauld.

FTOF.

Edited by pozbaird

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Duty of care carried out by Billy Jean King IMO. We were promised an annihilation of Scott Tanser by Sean Rooney earlier in the season, it was the talk of Paisley for weeks and never came about. Seems like it’s only fair on the wider public, who will likely be convinced, that someone points out it may not work out as you’ve promised this time around either. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

And the winner for Least Self Awareness is……………..

If you think I go around telling everyone how great St Johnstone is then you're massively mistaken 😂

24 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Duty of care carried out by Billy Jean King IMO. We were promised an annihilation of Scott Tanser by Sean Rooney earlier in the season, it was the talk of Paisley for weeks and never came about. Seems like it’s only fair on the wider public, who will likely be convinced, that someone points out it may not work out as you’ve promised this time around either. 

I've no idea who Sean Rooney is.