Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

His pace at the start covered up for a lot of mistakes he was making in the back three. Now that we've moved to a back four though, he's cut a lot of these out and established himself as first pick beside Shaughnessy which is harsh on McCarthy who is a fantastic option and hasnt really done much wrong except get injured.

I would have McCarthy back in the defence ahead of Dunne. Although that isn't saying you are wrong in what you say. His turn of speed helped cover his mistakes while playing in a 3, and he has looked much better as part of a 4.

Another game where we've fallen behind having not been second best in a game, then gone on to absolutely deserve to lose it. The fighting spirit that has defined us for years has completely disappeared. The St Mirren penalty - which, having seen it back again on Sportscene, is even worse than it looked the first time around - obviously changes the complexion of things but that doesn't excuse the way we played in the second half one little bit. Pathetic, rudderless, no plan. Which is made all the worse by the fact we played some decent stuff in the first half and fashioned some chances by moving the ball on the deck. Once we changed shape and made all those changes all we had was shelling it long.

Crawford needs taken out of the team. He offers nothing, generally causes play to break down more often than he does anything useful, and scoring the odd goal doesn't mask that. The changes made to the starting XI were mental. Hallberg obviously had to miss out but Butterfield and May were very good at the weekend - why did we take them out? The second half was desperate and has all the hallmarks of a team going down.

39 minutes ago, Ric said:

I would have McCarthy back in the defence ahead of Dunne. Although that isn't saying you are wrong in what you say. His turn of speed helped cover his mistakes while playing in a 3, and he has looked much better as part of a 4.

Jim has a preference for a left and right footer at the back. That will always give left footed Dunne the edge and we're never going to drop Joe.

Absolute stonewall penalty for the fakes followed by a couple of good penalties from Hendry.

Our penalty is so soft. Not a foul for me. Good penalty from Ronan though.

The St Johnstone defending for our winner is so poor.

How many point would see you safe this season? I'd say 33 would normally be enough to avoid the play-off, so happy days. 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jim has a preference for a left and right footer at the back. That will always give left footed Dunne the edge and we're never going to drop Joe.

A preference he's not all that wedded to considering he chopped and changed the back three line up, having Dunne in the centre, Shaughnessy on the right, Fraser on the left.

Although in regard to a back 4, I appreciate what you are saying because he has alluded to it in interviews.

The problem for me is Dunne has a touch of the Efe Ambrose about him. Give them clear, straight forwards instructions and they'll be brilliant. It's when on the spot decisions need to be made that he falls down as we've seen. On the flip side McCarthy is soon to be out of contract in the Summer, so I can see why Goodwin favours Dunne irrespective of the "footedness".

Watching that penalty back i'm fairly certain it's given for hand ball. Greive makes no contact with the ball, slips and then it hits the defenders elbow. Soft but I've certainly seen them given, it's not as much of a non penalty as i was hoping for. 

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

His pace at the start covered up for a lot of mistakes he was making in the back three. Now that we've moved to a back four though, he's cut a lot of these out and established himself as first pick beside Shaughnessy which is harsh on McCarthy who is a fantastic option and hasnt really done much wrong except get injured.

McCarthy stalled on a new contract offer early in the season , and if Dunne can stay clear of injury I can't see McCarthy getting back in !

We’ve conceded three goals in six games in 2022.
One was scored by Alan Power, one by Motherwell after an error by Tait, one from a penalty after an error by Fraser.
Can’t be changing the defence when it’s performing like that IMO, McCarthy will have to wait for his chance on the bench.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Watching that penalty back i'm fairly certain it's given for hand ball. Greive makes no contact with the ball, slips and then it hits the defenders elbow. Soft but I've certainly seen them given, it's not as much of a non penalty as i was hoping for. 

Ref has confirmed it was given for a "blatant push"...

I find it amazing anyone would swap McCarthy for Dunne at the moment. Dunne has been absolutely superb since going to a back 4, and up til he got his injury McCarthy wasn’t on the best of form. 

Apart from injury I can’t see McCarthy getting back in at all.