Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

I’d swap to be in St Johnstone’s position just now if we could have won both cups last season.
Frustratingly, our season has turned on abandoning the 3 at the back. If JG had done it earlier we could be in an even better position.
Had we done it last season it could have been us winning both cups. 
This is all fair and well in theory. It isn't actually meant to happen in practice and is usually reserved for the belittling of clubs like Dundee and Falkirk who are completely irrelevant on the trophy scene.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Target Shaughnessy in the air (he's shite in the air unless he gets a run up/if hes involved in a fight first) 

Added benefit is Shaughnessy is liable to do something stupid under pressure..

I swear I saw Big Joe with a cigar out during that second half. I think he was lighting it up for Dunne.

B5F89B60-3F90-4ADF-9F4C-5EE56A0638A5.thumb.jpeg.7f32965ae14030ac0fd53c1724ba117e.jpeg

It's the curse of the yellow shoulders.

St.Johnstone's pointless addition of yellow shoulders in an attempt to spice up an otherwise perfectly adequate kit is eerily reminiscent of the pointless yellow shoulders from our 2015 relegation kit.

We knew it was futile trying to stay up as soon as we set eyes on that strip.

Other teams be warned.

I swear I saw Big Joe with a cigar out during that second half. I think he was lighting it up for Dunne.
B5F89B60-3F90-4ADF-9F4C-5EE56A0638A5.thumb.jpeg.7f32965ae14030ac0fd53c1724ba117e.jpeg

Conor McCarthy on the bench again tonight. He was our best defender last season, but it’s hard to see how he gets back in the team now.
Charles and Joe [emoji7]

Was Sang any good? The highlights coupled with being taken off for brown aren't exactly promising. 

Gordon's was a booking right enough. 

The editing in the spfl official YouTube highlights is one of the worst edited I've ever seen. The whole thing is just players collecting balls out of play and standing waiting to take free kicks 

4 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

The editing in the spfl official YouTube highlights is one of the worst edited I've ever seen. The whole thing is just players collecting balls out of play and standing waiting to take free kicks 

No, I’d say that pretty much sums up the majority of the game tbh.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF Greive is playing a simple role in a well drilled side with an organised system.

Good luck to any c**t coming into our omnishambles. Genuinely no idea what shape we were even playing for the majority of that second half. A CM containing an immobile playmaker, a ghost, and a kid who barely stood out for Alloa. Great stuff.

Thoroughly enjoying your tear stained, back handed compliments by the way. 👍

6 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Charles Dunne btw, deceptively rapid.

Fair play to St. Mirren, some run of form since the break.  

His pace at the start covered up for a lot of mistakes he was making in the back three. Now that we've moved to a back four though, he's cut a lot of these out and established himself as first pick beside Shaughnessy which is harsh on McCarthy who is a fantastic option and hasnt really done much wrong except get injured.

5 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Was Sang any good? The highlights coupled with being taken off for brown aren't exactly promising. 

Gordon's was a booking right enough. 

He never stood out as pish but wasn't brilliant either.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 hours ago, Saint Shug said:

Mad to think that St Johnstone have spunked about 300k on some absolute diddies, paid another 50k for our 12th choice centre mid and recalled a player that they deemed not good enough earlier in the season and expected to pull themselves out the mess that they were in with them. 

It’s almost like we have a head of recruitment who spends more time watching our own games than doing his job

To be fair if you took away players of the same quality from any team, Kerr/McCann/Wotherspoon/Rooney , they would struggle. Impossible for Davidson or the HOR to replace them even if StJohnstone have millions in the bank. Especially so late in the window for 2 of them.

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair if you took away players of the same quality from any team, Kerr/McCann/Wotherspoon/Rooney , they would struggle. Impossible for Davidson or the HOR to replace them even if StJohnstone have millions in the bank. Especially so late in the window for 2 of them.

Don't worry, your boy above hates our HOR and regularly posts as if hes blaming this all on him. HOR is a Saints fan and some people just seem really bitter about it for some reason.

Our issues weren't this window, where we had to virtually rebuild our squad, our issue has been the previous 2/3 windows. January is a shit window for clubs needing to sign folk as you're looking at gambles rather than decent players, but the club had no choice, the squad we had wasn't rescuing us.

Before January we literally didn't sign a single player to come in and improve the starting line for more than a season since Tommy Wright signed McCart and Rooney in January 2020. Club, and manager, got arrogant thinking we could just stand still for a year and still survive, and are now paying the price for that. Frankly they deserve relegation.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't worry, your boy above hates our HOR and regularly posts as if hes blaming this all on him. HOR is a Saints fan and some people just seem really bitter about it for some reason

It’s almost like I know him and know what sort of players he desires…. Also almost as if I know that he spends more time at McD on a Saturday than looking at other players and is a big advocate of highlight packages

21 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

It’s almost like I know him and know what sort of players he desires…. Also almost as if I know that he spends more time at McD on a Saturday than looking at other players and is a big advocate of highlight packages

Which is all a nice lovely wee story, but completely misses the point that we needed to rebuild our squad, with players who were committed to the club due to us being in a relegation battle (signing a chunk of loanees/short team deal players who know they're off regardless would backfire IMO) in a January window. January is horrendous as players playing well/known quantities are far more expensive than they would be in the Summer, the only PCA deals you can do are Ireland/Scandinavia/USA etc., and many would've been looking at us as doomed regardless of wouldn't want to be part of that. There wasn't a group of 10 free agents who are all proven at this level just waiting to be picked up with no better offers.

This window isn't a problem and won't be the reason we go down. The previous 2/3, depending on how you view the Covid Summer window, are what's brought this on. 

Edited by RandomGuy.