Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

10 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That means 2-1 away win if Tanser misses out ☹️.

Big Joe will be our biggest goal threat. 

Got the fear for this one. StJohnstone are our absolute bogey team now, no questions asked.

Not sure where you’re getting the bogey team thing from. We’ve been better than St Mirren for a number of seasons and now that we’re struggling this season, St Mirren still can’t beat us so we’re now your bogey team? Ok…

2 hours ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Not sure where you’re getting the bogey team thing from. We’ve been better than St Mirren for a number of seasons and now that we’re struggling this season, St Mirren still can’t beat us so we’re now your bogey team? Ok…

It's a fair comment. St. Johnstone have always been our bogey team for as long as I can remember, regardless of the quality difference between the two sides. St. Johnstone have a much, much better head to head than we do despite both sides being on a relatively equal footing in terms of league position and status for large parts of their histories.

A bogey team isn't a team that we should always beat but don't. A bogey team is one that we should do better against more regularly but don't. Think most St. Mirren supporters would agree that over the last two decades St. Johnstone, Dumbarton and Hamilton have been our major bogey teams. 

Falkirk before they left Brockville were another. We just never managed to get a win at that ground.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's a fair comment. St. Johnstone have always been our bogey team for as long as I can remember, regardless of the quality difference between the two sides. St. Johnstone have a much, much better head to head than we do despite both sides being on a relatively equal footing in terms of league position and status for large parts of their histories.

A bogey team isn't a team that we should always beat but don't. A bogey team is one that we should do better against more regularly but don't. Think most St. Mirren supporters would agree that over the last two decades St. Johnstone, Dumbarton and Hamilton have been our major bogey teams. 

Falkirk before they left Brockville were another. We just never managed to get a win at that ground.

Inverness

Even though we've not racked up enough wins at home this season, we have only been defeated 3 times in Paisley. 

Worse case scenario tomorrow, it will be a draw. If it goes to form, we should be winning it.

One thing that will definitely be happening- Conor Ronan will be on the scoresheet. 

You won't hear anyone at Saints talk about this being a must win - but looking at our run of fixtures after this, failure to put three points on the board could be a disaster. Our next five are away to Aberdeen, County and Hibs, with home fixtures against Rangers and Hearts in the mix. We've improved since the Kelty game - no doubt at all - but that's a tough run at any time and we could easily find ourselves rooted firmly to the bottom after it if we don't pick up at least two wins.

We need to set up to win this. Over the past three games we've managed to work good positions on the right fairly frequently - but James Brown is just not an attacking threat. I think he's a perfectly reasonable right back - but he's being asked to play in a more advanced role and be a creative spark, which he just doesn't have in him. Sang probably needs his chance. With Hallberg out I'd be inclined to play Davidson alongside Butterfield with Crawford ahead of them. May and Hendry are certainties up front.

Clark

Cleary Gordon McCart

Sang Davidson Butterfield Booth

Crawford

May Hendry

Callum Davidson has confirmed Hallberg misses this, btw, since their was some confusion around it.

Sounds like it will be MacPherson who replaces him.

FWIW I think I'd consider Middleton for this tbh. May has done well but if Taits playing on the left you want someone who can run at him, and it won't be Brown or MacPherson. Target Shaughnessy in the air (he's shite in the air unless he gets a run up/if hes involved in a fight first) then try and get Middleton 1v1 with Tait.

Added benefit is Shaughnessy is liable to do something stupid under pressure.

Would be harsh on May but you have to play to exploit weaknesses.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW I think I'd consider Middleton for this tbh. May has done well but if Taits playing on the left you want someone who can run at him, and it won't be Brown or MacPherson. Target Shaughnessy in the air (he's shite in the air unless he gets a run up/if hes involved in a fight first) then try and get Middleton 1v1 with Tait.

The big man has been brilliant for us!

868FDDF4-5B39-4C37-B781-67BAB133773F.thumb.jpeg.f5ddf0950fe34885e049f713450ba59e.jpeg

16 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

The big man has been brilliant for us!

868FDDF4-5B39-4C37-B781-67BAB133773F.thumb.jpeg.f5ddf0950fe34885e049f713450ba59e.jpeg

Yeah I'm not trying to say he's shite or anything, just we know his weaknesses so we have to try and exploit them.

How has Middleton been for you guys? He always looks overweight to me and not very effective (besides a free kick against us).

I do love the "we're shite so if you fail to beat us that would be embarrassing, eh?" claim, as one result would hardly negate an entire season of embarrassment from our agricultural friends.

Edited by Ric

How has Middleton been for you guys? He always looks overweight to me and not very effective (besides a free kick against us).
Flashes of an unstoppable force with long periods of nothingness - tbf he is not alone in that.

He's not fat, he's solid. Probably ripped from head to tippy toe like myself. Also one of those guys that will balloon when he stops playing probably. Also like myself.

48 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Meh.

You know he's better than what he shows he just can't always show it. His confidence hit rock bottom in December IMO and it showed. Hopefully his assist v Livi has boosted that a wee bit.

Even last season he would drift through games doing nothing but then pop up with something match winning.

We've nobody else who can beat folk off the dribble with O'Halloran being out though.