Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

It's easy to lose count but we brought in 11 players, including Hendry. Two of the other ten were already here, one doesn't have clearance, one is injured, one is suspended. So straight away that's down to five, to a squad that lost Kerr, McCann, Melamed, Conway and Tanser last summer and didn't effectively replace them. 

If anyone doesn't think being without the equivalent of Wotherspoon, Rooney, Kane, Bryson, Ciftci, Bair, Hallberg and probably O'Halloran wouldn't impact any squad in the league, then they are being wilfully ignorant. Probably six of them would be guaranteed starters, I doubt anyone could argue with that.

BUT we do have a deep squad now and there were shoots of recovery in the performance at Livingston and first 50 minutes (before red card) against United. 

We were a middle-of-the-road team up until November (the idea we've stunk out the league all season is nonsense - we were ninth, one point off Hibs in sixth in early November) when we started on a catastrophic and confidence-sapping run, probably triggered by the Rooney and Wotherspoon injuries, which was compounded by Covid issues. The hope is we can at least get back to that. That in itself won't be enough most likely but should at least make us competitive in individual games again.

Edited by Radford

St Johnstone fans crying poor me having watched their management throw millions, quite possibly tens of millions, at their squad over the month of January in a desperate attempt to avoid relegation. Clearly forgetting Dundee are in the league so the desperation wasn’t even required. 

If anyone doesn't think being without the equivalent of Wotherspoon, Rooney, Kane, Bryson, Ciftci, Bair, Hallberg and probably O'Halloran wouldn't impact any squad in the league, then they are being wilfully ignorant.

Bear in mind we're talking about st mirren fans here. As a collective, quite comfortably the biggest bunch of fannies on this forum.

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Bear in mind we're talking about st mirren fans here. As a collective, quite comfortably the biggest bunch of fannies on this forum.

And the award for the least self-aware post of the day goes to................................. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

We were a middle-of-the-road team up until November (the idea we've stunk out the league all season is nonsense - we were ninth, one point off Hibs in sixth in early November)

I don't think it's quite nonsense. Our league position in early November was not representative of awful we were. We had more points than we deserved (eg nicked three off Aberdeen and robbed Dundee United away). Pre November, the only good domestic performance I can think of was the one that everyone expects - Dundee at home.  Plus, maybe 20 minutes against Hearts. But it's thin pickings.

We're certainly unlucky with injuries, but - like poor refereeing decisions - they shouldn't excuse how bad we have been, and I worry that will be the narrative when this is all over. If we're missing Rooney and Kane and O'Halloran, we're missing the Rooney and Kane of last season and the O'Halloran of late 2015. If we lack the creativity that someone like Wotherspoon can provide, we were lacking that before his injury too.

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

We’d probably take this from any other set of fans in the league but from you, the Tory voting St Johnstone fans with Randomgimp and Talkshitetam amongst your support. Aye no chance we’re having that. 

3 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

St Johnstone fans crying poor me having watched their management throw millions, quite possibly tens of millions, at their squad over the month of January in a desperate attempt to avoid relegation. Clearly forgetting Dundee are in the league so the desperation wasn’t even required. 

Least it's our own money and not taxpayer cash that could have stopped a child going hungry. 

St Mirren FC: Abusing government loans since 2021.

And also a major contributor to climate change by flying Scott Tanser up and down from Blackpool twice a week. 

Shameless. 

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

I don't think it's quite nonsense. Our league position in early November was not representative of awful we were. We had more points than we deserved (eg nicked three off Aberdeen and robbed Dundee United away).

I don't entirely disagree and we were certainly lucky to get anything from Tannadice. The Pittodrie one was one of those ones, neither team did much on the day and they can always swing either way, just as the game in Perth against the Dons did. 

I don't think we were a million miles from where we should have been points-wise before the slump started, although clearly not scintillating. 

Did we deserve to lose to County, Motherwell and St Mirren in the opening weeks, for example? We certainly didn't deserve less than the 3 points we collected and then there is obviously the Hibs game and the infamous penalty decision. 

28 minutes ago, Radford said:

Least it's our own money and not taxpayer cash that could have stopped a child going hungry. 

And also a major contributor to climate change by flying Scott Tanser up and down from Blackpool twice a week. 

Shameless. 

If you can manage to put together a squad between now and the end of the season (doubtful presumably?) to amass enough points to stay up, you’ll be able to experience first-hand the measures we will be putting in place at the SMiSA stadium to offset the carbon footprint caused by our generous perks provided to players. 

5 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That means 2-1 away win if Tanser misses out ☹️.

Big Joe will be our biggest goal threat. 

Got the fear for this one. StJohnstone are our absolute bogey team now, no questions asked.

Big joe was our biggest goal threat against you last season. Helped our cause tremendously.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Did we deserve to lose to County, Motherwell and St Mirren in the opening weeks, for example? 

No idea about the first two, but McCarthy did have a perfectly good goal chopped off for offside during the game in Paisley, so yes you should have lost to us. Hopefully the decisions even themselves out over the course of the season and we win via an offside goal tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Shameless. 

If you've got so much of your "own" money, then why did you take a loan of £800K more than than we did?

I think we know which club has abused the system.;)

Fake Saints - preventing fermers from getting government loans to fix their tractors. Shameful behaviour.

Edited by FTOF

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If you've got so much of your "own" money, then why did you take a loan of £800K more than than we did?

I think we know which club has abused the system.;)

Fake Saints - preventing fermers from getting government loans to fix their tractors. Shameful behaviour.

John Deere GIFs | Tenor