Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

Another midweek, another home game.

Despite patchy home form, it’s a huge chance to close in on teams above us… usually means we’ll drop points. Frustrating that we’d be one point off fourth had it not been for Tait’s brain-fart last Tuesday…

Imagine Gogic will come into the starting line-up, but can’t see many other changes unless Tanser’s fit again. Otherwise, the back four picks itself and we’re not exactly blessed with viable alternatives to Greive up top.

Saintees look to be turning things around a little - how big a miss will Hallberg be?

12 minutes ago, codfish said:

Saintees look to be turning things around a little - how big a miss will Hallberg be?

Depends who replaces him. Sang and we might be the same/better. MacPherson and it'll just depend if hes having a good day or a shite day. Davidson and we'll be worse as hes shite on the ball and doesn't support the right flank.

We're getting better but we need to start winning games, so the manager probably has to actively try and win this if we're to avoid the bottom two. Suspect we'll play the same 10 as the last 2 games with MacPherson replacing Hallberg and then it'll just be down to performances on the night. We carry a threat these days with Hendry improving us a stupid amount in attack, but I'm unsure any competent team won't still just roll us over. Our improvement has come against two abysmal Dundee sides and there would've been no real complain if Livingston had beaten us.

Hallberg a pretty big miss as the driving force behind 3 much improved halves of football. Our problem is we don’t have any other midfielders who can really run and press effectively - your own Cammy MacPish covers a lot of ground but he’s a bit of a headless chicken.

Without Hallberg we may end up bypassing the midfield a bit more, so with that in mind it’s time to unleash the Bair*

Clark
Brown Cleary Gordon McCart TG

Butterfield
MacPherson Gilmour

Bair Hendry

Thinking we should keep Brown in there as:
i) He’s a decent defender and I don’t know if Sang will be. Don’t like the idea of Jordan Jones against someone who’s (potentially) hopeless defensively but good going forward. We know Brown is solid
ii) I actually thought Brown looked a bit better offensively against United in the first half and he got some decent crosses in.
iii) I’d preferred we play a more offensive option on the other side in Gallacher. Can obvs do both but I’m not sure Davidson would agree.

I reckon the manager will probably keep Crawford in the team, but I worry Butterfield MacPherson Crawford would result in us having no bite in midfield and Butterfield doing a lot of work as AC and CM tend to wander.

*If Bair still unavailable I guess we have to go with May again. He’s been alright in the last two games but not really much of a goal threat.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Got the slight fear for this one, mainly because a win would pretty much make us safe and that simply isn't how we do things.

You're already more than safe m8, us or Dundee would have to win about 7 games to overtake you.

I also have the fear for this.

I feel that we are a better team than St Johnstone, but that 1-0 home loss to Dundee shows what can happen in games like this.

Especially as 3 points on Wednesday would take us up probably 2-3 positions on the table.

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I can see that, I just think that 30-point threshold feels significant this year. Would be nice to get it hit in early February.

It's a really fucking weird league this year, but aye, if you want 4th then you'll have to beat shite like us at home.

30 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I also have the fear for this.

I feel that we are a better team than St Johnstone, but that 1-0 home loss to Dundee shows what can happen in games like this.

Especially as 3 points on Wednesday would take us up probably 2-3 positions on the table.

It's every game against them. I know we had that 3-2 last season, but they had a man sent off. Other than that they just really seem to have our number.

42 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

We're playing for 11th place so a draw will do us fine

In Callum Davidsons eyes.

I've a horrible feeling this is right and we'll chuck away some genuine chances of 3pts settling for 1, then Dundee change manager and sort themselves out.

Davidson is so, so, passive.

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

We'll be hammered by the best St Mirren side in 30 years. 

That was last season. 

We really should be wiping the floor with dross like the Fermers. If we play like we can do, we will win this. 

Saints win 2-1.