The Ayrshire derby

5 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

Human nature is unless people have a family connection to a club, they generally want to support teams who win most of the time. That’s why you see kids running about with Barca, Man Utd, Man City replica shirts more than teams from their own country.

The fact that Rangers and Celtic are based 40 minutes away from Ayr doesn’t help and the fact that the media in this country, TV/Radio/Papers pretty much tells you only 2 teams exist doesn’t help either.

Kilmarnock is even closer to Glasgow so not sure proximity and media are the main reasons.Β 

2 minutes ago, Fide said:

Kilmarnock is even closer to Glasgow so not sure proximity and media are the main reasons.Β 

Yeah but you need to remember how long you had been in the top league, so that’s more attractive to people potentially going.Β 

There’s been such a lack of investment at Ayr for so long, it’s hard to sell League 1/Championship football to someone who doesn’t normally go.Β 

12 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

Human nature is unless people have a family connection to a club, they generally want to support teams who win most of the time. That’s why you see kids running about with Barca, Man Utd, Man City replica shirts more than teams from their own country.

The fact that Rangers and Celtic are based 40 minutes away from Ayr doesn’t help and the fact that the media in this country, TV/Radio/Papers pretty much tells you only 2 teams exist doesn’t help either.

If your ever on a Glasgow train on a Sunday morning with a game at ibrox you’ll see why ayr haven’t got a particularly large support.Β 

30 minutes ago, Fide said:

Mad innit, for towns of a similar size (circa 46k each, more for Ayr if you add on Prestwick) the huge disparity between success and attendance between the two teams.Β 
Β 

Is there any particular reason why Ayr don’t have a bigger following?Β 

Ayr haven't been in the Premier league since 1978 .think that might have something to do with it .

Ayr is no different from any other town in Scotland with old firm fans there is plenty in Kilmarnock aswell .Β 

I know more ayr fans that don't go anymore for whatever reason thanΒ  go to games . Anyway ftk into this shite tonight ayr.Β 

17 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Ayr haven't been in the Premier league since 1978 .think that might have something to do with it .

Ayr is no different from any other town in Scotland with old firm fans there is plenty in Kilmarnock aswell .Β 

I know more ayr fans that don't go anymore for whatever reason thanΒ  go to games . Anyway ftk into this shite tonight ayr.Β 

But surely if these lapsed fans went back to games, the club’s fortunes might improve? I have an awful lot more respect for Ayr fans than I do for those who live down here who support the old firm. A mindset I just don’t get.Β 

13 hours ago, KTID65 said:

Honestly can’t see anything but a comfortable Killle win, when we beat Ayr easily on the first day I thought this league would be easy but didn’t realise that Ayr were just pure shite, I think that we have improved vastly since then but they have kind of stood still.

Vastly improved is a bit of a stretch.Β 

I hate games against Ayr, the thought of losing makes me ill. I worked in what was the old stampworks that was across from Somerset in the late 90s early 00s and I took a few slaggings in there

Be great if we can get an early goal and then steamroller Ayr by about 4 or 5, just don't see it though. 1-0 most likelyΒ 

1 hour ago, Calayrdonia said:

Aye, being even closer it'll effect us too, especially as the town becomes more and more a commuter town.Β 

Given the last 30 years, i'm not sure why folk (Killie fans) are surprised that Ayr have a smaller support. We would have nowhere near 3800 season ticket holders had we had a similar last 30 years or so.Β 

That said, i still thought you;d bring a couple of thousand tonight given we haven't played in the league at RP since 1993 but should be a decent atmosphere regardless.Β 

Looking forward to tonight's game.

When we got relegated it was one of the very few bright spots to look forward to during that depressing time.

That and obviouslyΒ  not having to suffer sevco and septic fans which has been a blessing.Β 

That said let's hope we pump Ayr and go on a run to take us out of this shit league that football forgot.Β 

(And yes I know that we are ever bit as shitty as the rest )

8 minutes ago, Fide said:

But surely if these lapsed fans went back to games, the club’s fortunes might improve? I have an awful lot more respect for Ayr fans than I do for those who live down here who support the old firm. A mindset I just don’t get.Β 

Personally don't get it either, the number of people who would rather sit in the house to watch games elsewhere than attend a match is baffling. If you can't convince them to pay Β£5/6 to watch a local juniors game within walking distance of their house you will probably never convince them to pay Β£18-22 to watch a Championship club.Β 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, being even closer it'll effect us too, especially as the town becomes more and more a commuter town.Β 

Given the last 30 years, i'm not sure why folk (Killie fans) are surprised that Ayr have a smaller support. We would have nowhere near 3800 season ticket holders had we had a similar last 30 years or so.Β 

That said, i still thought you;d bring a couple of thousand tonight given we haven't played in the league at RP since 1993 but should be a decent atmosphere regardless.Β 

It’ll definitely have affected your crowds as well, without a doubt, just to a lesser extent.

I honestly believe if this was the August fixture, we’d have easily brought at least 2000. Probably a lot more with everyone buzzing for a new season, 4 derbies.
Β 

As it is, Hopkin signed half a squad of duds who have subjected our fans to absolute torture on a weekly basis which has eventually knocked any excitement out of the most optimistic fans.Β 
Β 

We can’t score a goal and we are in a relegation battle. The thought for a lot of fans of going AWAY Β to your biggest rivals who are league favourites with the biggest budget in the league, isn’t exactly enticing at this stage of the season.

I get that it’s a derby but there’s 4 and that takes away from the usual β€œone off occasion” gloss that the fixture has as well. I’m more concerned about the points if I’m honest.

That might have happened if we had kicked on when McCall was in charge and Shankland was running riot unfortunately we did not maybe if we had the new backroom set up then it would have been a different story but any momentum we had then had be wasted with terrible managers since McCall jumped ship to Partick

1 hour ago, Calayrdonia said:

kilmarnock is closer to glasgow so that doesn’t answer the questionΒ 

14 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

you will probably never convince them to pay Β£18-22 to watch a Championship club.Β 

That's a huge part of the problem for a lot of people.Β 

Club loyalties aside, hand on heart you can't say that's value for money for the standard of football we regularly get served up. It just isnt.Β 

I appreciate if you drop it to Β£10 you won't get the required increase either but it's years of clubs not properly appreciating or looking after their customer base that has seen years of erosion to their core support. For the vast majority of clubs.Β 

For me through the 80s and 90s there was an assumption from clubs that people would just keep turning up regardless of the product on the park or how they were generally treated as paying customers.Β 

Look where we are now, look where we could be in another 30 years if nothings done to grow and develop a fanbase.Β 

I see it’s been mentioned already but 1000% ignore the Queens Drive (Asda/cinema etc) route into Kilmarnock. Take the Ayr road exit if you are coming up the 77, take the new farm exit if you are coming down from Glasgow.
Β 

I know someone will say to themselves that it can’t be that bad/I’ll get lucky but trust me you won’t.Β 

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

I see it’s been mentioned already but 1000% ignore the Queens Drive (Asda/cinema etc) route into Kilmarnock. Take the Ayr road exit if you are coming up the 77, take the new farm exit if you are coming down from Glasgow.
Β 

That sounds like a planned ambush on the honest men and bonnie lassies. πŸ˜‰

Seriously though, cheers for that. πŸ‘