Morton v Queens

If we lose on Saturday we are as good as down. O'Connor had a awful game against Raith but you can guarantee AJ will play him. It would not surprise me if he moved Gibson into the back like the 2nd half against Raith. Gordon  scored a goal but was anonymous for most of the game. He has to step it up. 

9 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Bit of a test for Imrie. Possibly his first game where Morton will be expected to win. Ye'd assume that sorta back to the wall and coming out fighting attitude he's instilled will carry on into this game but it's a different mindset when yer favourites. 

Dunno. I fully expected us to win yesterday and whilst it sounds like we rode our luck slightly, a clean sheet and a win came of no surprise to me. Quite incredible how Imrie has managed to turn this around. Hopefully he can just keep this going.

Massive game, more so for Queens, but a win here would allow us a wee bit of breathing room. Calls to make with both Muirhead & Wilson. I thought we struggled a wee bit in midfield on Saturday and were becoming a bit overrun late on, but whether Imrie chhoses to change a winning team I’m not sure.

If we lose on Saturday we are as good as down. O'Connor had a awful game against Raith but you can guarantee AJ will play him. It would not surprise me if he moved Gibson into the back like the 2nd half against Raith. Gordon  scored a goal but was anonymous for most of the game. He has to step it up. 

I've already resigned myself to relegation tbh. As long as AJ is in charge we're going down. All the shit teams around us have had the balls to get rid of the biggest problem at their club and are starting to pick up results We're sticking by our shite manager and will be going down as a result.

It's hard to muster any enthusiasm for games right now in all honesty. Ironically enough, the last time I felt so low following Queens was when Gus was in charge.

Two concerns for me about this one game:

1. Regression to the mean. We're not going to play well every game and so an off-day is going to happen soon. This game is just in time for that 'Manager of the Month' effect to happen.

2. Queens have a pretty good record at Cappielow (and vice versa), with the results often not following rhyme nor reason. 

I'm still hopeful we'll take the opportunity to stretch well ahead but nothing should be taken for granted. It's not the Little People we're up against anyway. 

On 06/02/2022 at 14:27, Mr.Blue said:

Can't wait for this. For the first time in ages I'm actually looking forward to games again.

Queens always give us a good game at scapa but there's really 

Hamilton

Lithgow McLean mcentee 

Brandon Lyon Wilson Oliver strapp.      

Ugwu.   Reilly.  

Subs- bysouth, ledger, Russell, blues, muirhead, McGregor, King.

That's a decent starting 11 and a bit of depth on the bench too.  3-1 ton

Don't see it happening.

All our managers seem to like Blues and he playing better this season.

Think Wilson might replace Lyon as came off on Saturday after that heavy challenge.

Would like Ledger to replace McLean as Connolly is quick and has mobility.

Win on Saturday was a bonus but ICT seem to have lost it.

While Queen frequently win this fixture they are by all accounts down in the dumps. Expect the Imrie message to get through to our players and deliver a home win here.

Can't be arsed checking, but was it not around this point last season that Queens suddenly hit a purple patch of form and zipped up the league from bottom two to safety, leaving us well behind?  

If it was, kindly postpone the start of this year's fightback for at least one more game, thanks in advance.  👍

Can't be arsed checking, but was it not around this point last season that Queens suddenly hit a purple patch of form and zipped up the league from bottom two to safety, leaving us well behind?  
If it was, kindly postpone the start of this year's fightback for at least one more game, thanks in advance.  [emoji106]

It won't be happening this time I'm afraid. Unless of course we have a flu outbreak and the team has to pick itself. If our clueless manager has a full selection available then it'll be a home win.

47 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

If it was, kindly postpone the start of this year's fightback for at least one more game, thanks in advance.  👍

We recruited better in last year's window than we have in this one going by the early showings of our new recruits. We did have a purple patch last season which put us up a few places but it didn't last too long and we slipped back down near the foot. 

Imrie seems to have taken a group of average players and instilled a bit of belief and fight into them. He also seems to be using the players in a  formation that suits. Sadly we don't seem to have a motivational manager for our group of average players. All the talk of how we are scrapping for survival isn't getting transferred into the performances on the pitch as our meek surrender to  Dunfermline shows. Tinkering, however slight, with starting line-ups almost every  game doesn't help, neither does moving players around 2 or 3 positions during a game. I doubt if he knows his strongest team or formation anyway, every game seems like an experiment. The players don't escape criticism, too many stupid mistakes, silly fouls and misplaced passes, gifting chances to the opposition. As has been said we don't seem to do too  bad at Cappielow, I hope this continues on Saturday, but the players and Management need to show they're up for any battle to try and get some wins on the board. Lose here and Johnston should be away. 

Having been bottom after nine games with four points last season, Queen of the South then won at Raith on 29 December to start a run of 10 games with 7 wins and 2 draws which took them into fourth by final game of that run on 6 March.

Maybe they could go on a similar run out of nowhere this season and a 10 game spell like that would definitely keep them up from this position, but considering when it happened you'd have to say it had an awful lot to do with a good transfer window; they've had no signs of improvement through January this year. If they're going to stay up without Johnston leaving then it's going to be through scrapping the occasional win against relegation rivals rather than turning into the best team in the division out of nowhere again.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Having been bottom after nine games with four points last season, Queen of the South then won at Raith on 29 December to start a run of 10 games with 7 wins and 2 draws which took them into fourth by final game of that run on 6 March.

Maybe they could go on a similar run out of nowhere this season and a 10 game spell like that would definitely keep them up from this position, but considering when it happened you'd have to say it had an awful lot to do with a good transfer window; they've had no signs of improvement through January this year. If they're going to stay up without Johnston leaving then it's going to be through scrapping the occasional win against relegation rivals rather than turning into the best team in the division out of nowhere again.

Queens got 7 points from 3 games before any of the January signings played last season. The difference before that was Dobbie getting injured and Shields becoming the main striker. The main difference the window made was Jones signing (the run ending when his hamstring went and although he came back later, he wasn’t the same).
Johnston has tried to repeat last season to the extent of signing a loanee from Middlesbrough but the early indications are he’s not near to being another Jones.
Queens definitely won’t go on a similar run this season with nobody of the level of Jones or even Shields. Early signs of beating their relegation rivals aren’t great either after being totally outplayed by, and losing to, Dunfermline. The only way, imo, they will avoid 10th will be by matching Ayr’s results,  beating them in the head to heads and finishing 9th. Even that will be a very tall order. 

On 08/02/2022 at 13:33, Dunning1874 said:

Yes, it started quite a bit earlier than this and as Flash says, its beginnings predated any January arrivals.

Another difference last year was that that ten game spell represented a significantly larger chunk of the shorter season.  It left us fewer games either side of it to screw up in.  

Such a run is inconceivable this time.  As noted, our best bet is to beat an immediate rival, while picking up at least some points against others.  It really does look unlikely though.  At this rate, we're soon probably going to be without any rivals who can be called immediate.

The last time I felt this confident about a fixture was before the last home game against QoS and look how that turned out. Thankfully Morton and QoS appear to be on different trajectories in 2022 and I do not expect any slip-up this time. Typical Greenock weather expected tomorrow so bring your Bermuda shorts, umbrella, thermals... to Fortress Cappielow and witness the Imrie masterclass roll on.

Queens looked decent in that first game,could easily have scored a few more. Also battered us down there in the cup.

Queens have drew their last 4 away games, 3 of those against top 5 sides. 18 goals in those 4 games, average of 4. 5 per game 

With us, 20 goals in our last 4 home games, average of 5 per game 

It's gonna be fecking 0-0 ain't it..