Mighty Mo vs The Sons

I think there’s a lot of overreaction from Montrose fans here and a lot of defensiveness from Sons fans. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

I didn’t like what I saw from us at all in the second half yesterday if I’m being honest. I don’t think playing like that suits us, we seen it last week against Cove when we sat back as well. Earlier in the season the win at Montrose was sheer luck in the end up after we were the better team in the first half, the battering and sitters missed in the second half could’ve been about 6 conceded on another day. Two weeks ago we more than matched a Premiership team for 90 minutes, 45 of those being with 10 men. We are capable of competing with teams in our league and when a game is poised at 1-1 I’d rather see us at least attempt at some point in the half to try and take those maximum points (by god we fucking need them). The time wasting was embarassing, I’ve seen the keeper mentioned but the outfield players rolling around and feigning injury was worse. I know for a fact the Sons support would be spitting feathers if the shoe was on the other foot. In short we’re good enough to compete, as good as Montrose are, and we are actually more effective when we press high. I’m not expecting us to go gung ho, far from it, but I expect us to try and create a sniff of a chance. This wasn’t Man City at the Etihad, this was Montrose at Links Park. I’m 100% a points over entertainment guy but that second half yesterday had me questioning that tbqhwy and if 3 points are in reach I’d rather see us try and win a game. Remember that Ian Murray team we all loved watching who didn’t care who the opposition was? That was the complete opposite of that.

As for the Montrose point of view - frustration is clearly leading to a few heads gone here. The referee was completely fine and in the end up played about 98 minutes or something. If I was you I’d be a bit seething at the time wasting and eye bleeding tactics as well but at the end of the day it’s up to your team to deal with that and find a way to break us down. Chill oot man.

Jesus, I didn't think Montose fans were such greeting faced c***s. Maybe the lofty position they find themselves in has turned them falkirkesque. Us mere diddy's coming through and taking a point off the mighty and invincible Montrose has caused a mighty meltdown in Angus.

Lads it’s perfectly reasonable to express disappointment & frustration after a game like that where we should have won, but failed to because of our own attacking shortcomings.

Football supports aren’t normally made up of emotionless androids, chess gradmasters & metronome-watching brain surgeons. No apologies for expressing disappointment / annoyance last night.

074DA05A-3D6F-4CF8-9617-B5046F70EC75.thumb.jpeg.59b265783f418df86194ac11eac09cee.jpeg

14 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Don’t know about any other sons fans there today but I certainly enjoyed it. Worth it for the stoppage time alone

As always, a very enjoyable trip to Montrose. Pleasant train journey up the east coast, an afternoon in the fresh air watching the footie, a seat on the couch in the Park Hotel to watch the Calcutta Cup match on a big screen, followed by a fine fish tea in Adam's Shack.  Just the job!

As for the match itself.......no argument that at this point in time the Gable Endies are a better team than the Sons.  Their passing game is easy on the eye and they always have a clear pattern to their play.  No surprise that they are virtually guaranteed a Championship play-off spot at least, while we are struggling to avoid the League One version.. On yesterday's evidence though they lack a reliable goal scorer and that was the only reason they didn't take all three points.

For the Sons, our new keeper's handling was very assured, though I can't recall him having a serious save to make (see above). Some brave and resolute defending, in particular from Buchanan and Bronsky, also Paton and Carswell in their defensive roles.   Going forward...dearie me! The fact that with the wind at our backs in the second half we didn't force the Montrose keeper into a single save, nor manage one corner in the entire match, probably says it all!

On to some of the more partial posts on the match thread.  Yes, in the last ten minutes or so we overdid the timewasting tactics.  Very frustrating for the team on top and their fans as I know from the boot being on the other foot.  However, "appalling time wasting tactics for the entire second half" - behave yourself!  And as others have noted, the referee added on some eight minutes of stoppage time.

On Stuart Carswell's trip on Paul Watson.: "Great wipe out tackle. Great attempt to win the ball".  Indeed, on a par with Terry Masson 'taking out Kalvin Orsi off the ball during a rare Sons breakaway.  Orsi's participation the game over and Masson sensibly substituted by Stewart Petrie before play restarted.  Stonewall yellow card for Carsy, unfortunately if the victim then has a kick at the offender, there can only be one outcome,.

Couple of random thoughts.  Watching Cammy Ballantyne close up yesterday reminded me how disappointed I was that we couldn't keep him at the Rock. Very good player at this level and I'm sure he would be very effective in the Championship too.  

Given that Ross Mclean is our most effective forward (at least when he's concentrating on the football and not moaning at the officials), I hope his injury isn't too serious and we see him back in action soon.

I think the highlights reiterated a couple of things to me. In the first half we really did ourselves no favours. The amount of stray passes in the first half hour, in particular, was shocking. We don't usually struggle so much to get our foot on the ball. That was partly down to Montrose and their high press but also down to us not being particularly good at that time. Unsurprisingly the 10 minutes we started to pass the ball around a bit led to us getting our equaliser. 

Wright in goal looked comfortable, often in doing routine things which Ramsbottom makes look like hard work. But if he could reduce the timewasting a little bit then I'd very much appreciate it. His distribution was inconsistent but given Sam's is consistently dreadful it was an improvement!

Defensively we tightened up in the second half but we really need more at the top end of the pitch. I think BBPF touched on it but, we gave Dundee a real doing with 10 men a couple of weeks ago so we are capable of getting at any team in our league and should never be giving any of our league opponents that much respect.

Overall I was happy to get the point which, as I mentioned before, we wouldn't have picked up for the majority of this season. I believe we are looking to bring in 1 more loanee and hope it is at the top end of the park either a tricky winger or striker to play off Josh.

On a side note, I feel we have more balance without Wilson and McKee in the team but we do lack the quality they are capable of delivering from deadball situations. At the start if the season we punished teams constantly from set plays. But we don't seem to be anywhere near as much of a threat now because deliveries have been poor (and McGeever is out injured!).

As always, a very enjoyable trip to Montrose. Pleasant train journey up the east coast, an afternoon in the fresh air watching the footie, a seat on the couch in the Park Hotel to watch the Calcutta Cup match on a big screen, followed by a fine fish tea in Adam's Shack.  Just the job!
As for the match itself.......no argument that at this point in time the Gable Endies are a better team than the Sons.  Their passing game is easy on the eye and they always have a clear pattern to their play.  No surprise that they are virtually guaranteed a Championship play-off spot at least, while we are struggling to avoid the League One version.. On yesterday's evidence though they lack a reliable goal scorer and that was the only reason they didn't take all three points.
For the Sons, our new keeper's handling was very assured, though I can't recall him having a serious save to make (see above). Some brave and resolute defending, in particular from Buchanan and Bronsky, also Paton and Carswell in their defensive roles.   Going forward...dearie me! The fact that with the wind at our backs in the second half we didn't force the Montrose keeper into a single save, nor manage one corner in the entire match, probably says it all!
On to some of the more partial posts on the match thread.  Yes, in the last ten minutes or so we overdid the timewasting tactics.  Very frustrating for the team on top and their fans as I know from the boot being on the other foot.  However, "appalling time wasting tactics for the entire second half" - behave yourself!  And as others have noted, the referee added on some eight minutes of stoppage time.
On Stuart Carswell's trip on Paul Watson.: "Great wipe out tackle. Great attempt to win the ball".  Indeed, on a par with Terry Masson 'taking out Kalvin Orsi off the ball during a rare Sons breakaway.  Orsi's participation the game over and Masson sensibly substituted by Stewart Petrie before play restarted.  Stonewall yellow card for Carsy, unfortunately if the victim then has a kick at the offender, there can only be one outcome,.
Couple of random thoughts.  Watching Cammy Ballantyne close up yesterday reminded me how disappointed I was that we couldn't keep him at the Rock. Very good player at this level and I'm sure he would be very effective in the Championship too.  
Given that Ross Mclean is our most effective forward (at least when he's concentrating on the football and not moaning at the officials), I hope his injury isn't too serious and we see him back in action soon.

Excellent summing up. I actually was surprised that no one had mentioned the Orsi substitution before now given he had to go off due to an off the ball incident which the officials obviously didn’t see. As for the time wasting I genuinely didn’t feel aware that the keeper was excessively time wasting. It was actually nice to be reminded what it was like to have someone who really looked like a keeper between the sticks

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Excellent summing up. I actually was surprised that no one had mentioned the Orsi substitution before now given he had to go off due to an off the ball incident which the officials obviously didn’t see. As for the time wasting I genuinely didn’t feel aware that the keeper was excessively time wasting. It was actually nice to be reminded what it was like to have someone who really looked like a keeper between the sticks

Kieran Wright looks like a good signing, very confident coming for the ball.

It was good to see Ramsbottom & the fans having a bit of banter during the half time warm-up too.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

I like how they had to mute the highlights at the red card incident. Looked like a red for their player and a yellow for Carsy was correct.

The off the ball incident on Orsi conveniently omitted.

Unexplained Bacon

I really enjoyed Orsi being told that he’d made a miraculous recovery by the Montrose fans as he slowly made his way towards the bench with assistance.

Unfortunately had to work and missed the game.

I can only go by the stats and the highlights that the Mo were more dominant and played with more flair, though Dumbarton had their moments also.

League 1 is a tough league, and there are no easy games. Saturday was full of draws.

Cant win them all and shit happens all the time. 

The incident at the end seemed to be cut short by the highlights. Paul Watson took one hoor of a tumble, most folk would probably lose the heed if it happened to them

14 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I like how they had to mute the highlights at the red card incident. Looked like a red for their player and a yellow for Carsy was correct.

The off the ball incident on Orsi conveniently omitted.

Unexplained Bacon

lol I'm no surprised! Camera man had the heed oot of the box swearing like a trouper! 😆

Looking back at the sending off still think the Dumbarton captain should have seen red,no attempt to even go for the ball hence how Watson reacted like he did.To be fair a like your captain, what I've seen of him at LP twice this season decent player so he is a bit like Terry Masson for us likes to do the dirty work.

As for the boy that went to Adam's Fish shack for a chipper,you picked the wrong one worst one in the town by far....Glad you enjoyed it though.

34 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Looking back at the sending off still think the Dumbarton captain should have seen red,no attempt to even go for the ball hence how Watson reacted like he did.To be fair a like your captain, what I've seen of him at LP twice this season decent player so he is a bit like Terry Masson for us likes to do the dirty work.

As for the boy that went to Adam's Fish shack for a chipper,you picked the wrong one worst one in the town by far....Glad you enjoyed it though.

He's hardly a boy 😉 but as matter of interest what is the best ?  I seem to remember the Bervie Chipper (?) in the Montrose area winning a national title a few years back.

14 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

He's hardly a boy 😉 but as matter of interest what is the best ?  I seem to remember the Bervie Chipper (?) in the Montrose area winning a national title a few years back.

Ferry st chipper is smashing, think the Grove is also. But we’ve some great chippers up the coast, the Bay in Stonehaven is out of this world, but aye queued oot and there’s the chippers in Gourdon and Johnshaven. Arbroath has two great chippers, but they are in Arbroath.

Bervie chipper started a chain, and then sold them off but they were still called Bervie chipper. One burnt down the other turned average, not sure if there was a 3rd one?

Montrose also has a great Indian, Sher E Bangla, strange name but the food is the best Indian I’ve had anywhere. Bit pricey though, or if you like a Chinese the New Hong Kong takeaway is great, nice folk that have it to.

Only been to Adam’s fish shack once.

Edited by Angus of the Mo
Might be taken the wrong way

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

It's always given as a booking but I'd change the rules for that sort of challenge to be a red. It's absolutely bizarre that just booting someone with literally no attempt to play the ball is not seen as such.

We've been without Ross Cunningham since Boxing Day because a Falkirk player "took one for the team" and left him in a sling.

A time ago but Callum Fordyce got a straight red v Raith at Stark's for a less cynical challenge and that was reduced to a yellow., after appeal.

It was a few yards into our half, breaking upwards after a corner.  Absolutely no malice. I suppose it is a matter of degree; and official's subjective interpretation.

1 hour ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Ferry st chipper is smashing, think the Grove is also. But we’ve some great chippers up the coast, the Bay in Stonehaven is out of this world, but aye queued oot and there’s the chippers in Gourdon and Johnshaven. Arbroath has two great chippers, but they are in Arbroath.

Bervie chipper started a chain, and then sold them off but they were still called Bervie chipper. One burnt down the other turned average, not sure if there was a 3rd one?

Montrose also has a great Indian, Sher E Bangla, strange name but the food is the best Indian I’ve had anywhere. Bit pricey though, or if you like a Chinkies the New Hong Kong takeaway is great, nice folk that have it to.

Only been to Adam’s fish shack once.

Gourdon has a chippy? 😲😲I stayed there on a 'holiday' in '84, and we found 1 pub near the harbour, that was it. Had to stomp up to Inverbervie for a bit of civilisation.

As for the word I've bolded - maybe better edit it, fella.