Annan Athletic -vs- Stenhousemuir

Is there a bigger game taking place this weekend than Annan Athletic's encounter with Stenhousemuir? I don't think so!

Annan are clearly a very decent side and this might be their best group of players since they joined the SFL in 2008 but, for whatever reason, Stenny have proven themselves to be their bogey team for this season, winning both of their previous meetings. On their last visit to Galabank in September, Stenny somehow came away with a 2-1 victory but they were probably the better side last time out mid-November. I'm expecting a good game on Saturday and I'm looking forward to heading down.

I think Stephen Swift will reprise the 4-3-1-2 formation from the previous weekend's home win against Elgin City but I don't necessarily think the system worked (or if the right players were picked to suit it). Euan O'Reilly was given a free role behind the forwards but he drifted in and out of the game and he would have been better utilised on the left where he can do most damage. So, with that in mind, I'd like to see us go for an old-fashioned 4-4-2 and just go for it!

- Tam Orr - Robert Thomson -

- Euan O'Reilly - Nat Wedderburn - Mikey Miller - Mikey Anderson -

- Callum Yeats - Nicky Jamieson - Adam Corbett - Ross Lyon -

- Peter Urminsky -

My preference is to drop Sean Crighton, move Adam Corbett to centre-back and restore Ross Lyon to right-back. Will it happen? Probably not, but still. If we do go for the same set-up as last time, maybe stick Adam Brown as the number 10 instead.

The heart says we can win this, and maybe the head does too. Either way, I think it'll be a cracker.

I wasn't able to make it down to Galabank today (my windscreen wipers have packed in) but that's an impressive win and, with Edinburgh City beating Stranraer, a vital three points in the hunt for the final play-off space.

I'm looking forward to reading the reports from those who attended!

Watched the stream, thought Stenny played quite well and looked comfortable during most of the game. Jamieson and Yeats were brilliant. Big Urminsky's save from their penalty was class. 

Their keeper should've saved Orr's goal but we'll take it and another three points.

Mon the Warriors. 

Annan's first loss in ten games. The last loss being against us as well. Complete and utter ownership.

The game played out pretty similar to the last game at Galabank. We were slow out the blocks, should probably have been a goal or two down but we dug in and scored on the break.

Apart from the penalty we seen the game out pretty comfortably. 

It was not pretty, nor was it going to be in that weather, it was a proper dog fight at times and we stood up to the task. All the lads put in a proper shift with stand out performances from Yeats, Jamieson and Miller. Have to mention URMINKSKKKIIIYYYYYYYY as well he had a couple of great saves in amongst some other unorthodox moments but not many keepers will save a penalty when diving the wrong way.

Certainly a lot to build on now. The foundation looks stronger with Peter and Callum at the back.

We have a really tough schedule coming up in terms of volume and playing the better sides in the division. Stranraer away is going to be a tough game as they have bodied us twice this season but a win there shows real progress and effectively removes them from the play off race.

You have to feel we are now better equipped to go there and get the job done. 

To add to the above an honourable mention to Mikey Anderson again, particularly in the second half. Won a lot of challenges and just closes space relentlessly. Guilty of giving ball away too cheaply a few times but if he keeps up what he's shown last 2 games a very handy player to have around. Has reminded me of Kieran Millar a bit the last 2 weeks.

5 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

To add to the above an honourable mention to Mikey Anderson again, particularly in the second half. Won a lot of challenges and just closes space relentlessly. Guilty of giving ball away too cheaply a few times but if he keeps up what he's shown last 2 games a very handy player to have around. Has reminded me of Kieran Millar a bit the last 2 weeks.

There's something quite endearing about Mikey Anderson. He came across well in his post-match interview after the Elgin City game and I liked how he spoke about his role within the team. "Handy" is probably as good as it's ever likely to get for him but fair play to him all the same,  you need players like him in your squad!

Apart from the first 10/15 minutes Annan were never in it. Winning run had to come to an end some time. Good while it lasted!

Must be great for the Stenny defence having a keeper that literally fills the goals. What height is he? Reminded me of the Russian guy from the Rocky films back in the 80s...