Do you have a Bundesliga team you follow? Who? Why?

Luddite

I been to see 1860 Munich a few times, when they were at the Allianz. Though they are Bundesliga 3 now. 

I can’t exactly remember how we got into going to see them, I have friends who live in Munich so I think we just went once and I started keeping an eye out for their results. Then started going to their games anytime I went over to visit.

Edited by Jambomo

Hertha

Spent a fair bit of time in Berlin over the years for various reasons and ended up at the games here and there. 

Soft spot for SV Babelsberg 03 from going to see them play when they were up in Bundesliga 2, but they've been firmly mired in the regional leagues for years.

During the wee while in 2020 (I think) when the Bundesliga was the only live football going, I decided to support Fortuna Düsseldorf. Picked them entirely based on their stadium looking by far the shittest. Wouldn’t say I actually remotely follow them though - I’ve never been to a game, and wouldn’t go out of my way to get to one. Would still like them to win games they’re playing in mind. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Not a Bundesliga team currently, but Kaiserslautern - due to a very successful FM save.

I mean, I don’t really care, but I’ll check out their results every so often. Look like they might finally escape the 3.Liga this season.

MSV Duisburg. They’re fucking dreadful but have a zebra for a mascot.

Been to a few home and away games during an annual trip over to Germany. 

edit: obviously not a Bundesliga team and probably won’t be again for quite some time

Edited by Smurph

My brother lived in Dortmund for a long time and I've been sympathetic towards them since they first won the Champions League in 97. Still head over for games from time to time and was there in October.

They're a well run club but frustratingly inconsistent.

I don't follow German football that closely but I do have a couple of teams I have a soft spot.

Eintracht Frankfurt because I went to a game the only time I was in Germany and had a good time

Werder Bremen because they won the Bundesliga with Canadian Paul Stalteri

VFL Osnabruck, partially because they have employed Canadians in the past, and partially because I once made pub friends with some hardcore fans on my travels and they were thoroughly good guys

MSV Duisburg. They’re fucking dreadful but have a zebra for a mascot.
Been to a few home and away games during an annual trip over to Germany. 

edit: obviously not a Bundesliga team and probably won’t be again for quite some time
You might like Bohemians of Prague then, with a Kangaroo on the badge

As my avatar shows, I'm a Schalke fan. Started following them during the 2014/15 season. Never had a German team before then, just an interest in the league overall and while there was teams I liked watching, no team really picked me as such until Schalke came calling.

All a bit random really but I got chatting to a German guy through one of the Hearts Facebook pages and we just kept in touch. He used me for news and reviews on matches etc. and in turn taught me a bit about the history of Schalke which seemed startlingly similar to the rollercoaster of following Hearts. He was over in Edinburgh for the UEFA Cup match in 2004, and he, as well as many others who came, fell in love with Edinburgh and always kept a soft spot for Hearts. He stays in the South of Germany and set up a supporters club for Schalke many moons ago (the 17th official Schalke fan club) and they visit Gelsenkirchen for the last home game every year which ends with a big party in the city, regardless of result or how the season has been.

So, they invited me over for said match at the end of the 2014/15 season, a plucky 1-0 win over Paderborn to seal 6th place, and despite the volatile atmosphere in the stadium aimed at the players and Roberto Di Matteo, we had a brilliant night after and the whole experience was just phenomenal. I've been back every year since (bar Covid times obviously) and even been over to a couple of Revierderbys as well as going down to London for a friendly vs Crystal Palace.

The one blessing about lockdown was I finally managed to watch almost every Schalke game of last season, albeit a relegation season. :lol: Haven't had the chance to watch many games this season due to the lack of TV deal and of course being back at Hearts games. Sadly most Buli 2 games are Saturday and Sunday lunchtime games but the Friday and Saturday evening games I've managed to catch.

Schalke have a real connection with Nurnberg so I keep an eye on their results and I've been to an Augsburg game too so also keep a wee eye out for their scores too.

Another fan of a former/future Bundesliga team, Hannover 96, my dear Oma grew in Letter, Niedersachsen just outside of the city. I'm also a fan of Hannover Indians ice hockey team for the same reason. I'm not a believer in the 'fanfreundschaft' with Hamburg, scumbag club, Arminia Bielefeld I don't mind as much, I actually play ice hockey with a guy from Bielefeld every Monday, but he is a glory hunting Dortmund fan! 

I used to have a soft spot for Gladbach in the Favre days, they were incredible to watch at times, but ever since going to MSV for the first time in 2014 it's been all about the Zebras. Was last there in 2019 when they knocked higher division Greuther Fürth out the cup and would quite like to go back at some point next season.