Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

27 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Rinks like Perth, Forfar, Kinross etc are purely curling rinks. You could play hockey or snooker or football on them but it would be shite 

Forfar is a great rink. 

Curling ice is different than hockey and skating ice isn't it. It needed smoothed, where as curling ice is pebbled and rough which also reduces the appeal of converting. I remember when Braehead was closing the curling facility, it was talked about having the arena for all ice sports but it was too much of a pain to convert. 

Glasgow was meant to host the Men's Worlds at the Emirates in 2020, but it was cancelled because of covid. Would be good to get it back to Glasgow as Scotland has fallen off the rotation for it and we haven't had it for over 20 years now. 

4 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Forfar is a great rink. 

Curling ice is different than hockey and skating ice isn't it. It needed smoothed, where as curling ice is pebbled and rough which also reduces the appeal of converting. I remember when Braehead was closing the curling facility, it was talked about having the arena for all ice sports but it was too much of a pain to convert. 

Glasgow was meant to host the Men's Worlds at the Emirates in 2020, but it was cancelled because of covid. Would be good to get it back to Glasgow as Scotland has fallen off the rotation for it and we haven't had it for over 20 years now. 

I went to the European final between Sweden and Russia (ladies) at Braehead in 2017 I think. That was in the same arena as the PDC darts was in just a week or so earlier - there was often "glitter" falling onto the ice from the rafters.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I went to the European final between Sweden and Russia (ladies) at Braehead in 2017 I think. That was in the same arena as the PDC darts was in just a week or so earlier - there was often "glitter" falling onto the ice from the rafters.

That russian ladies team from circa that era was a joy to behold 

36 minutes ago, Binos said:

That russian ladies team from circa that era was a joy to behold 

It was 2016 I meant, yes, they were pleasing on the eye but I suspect you are referring to their usual skip from that time, Anna Sidarova (she wasnt playing in that particular event but here is a pic as a reminder)

Photos - The Anna Sidorova Story - Sports India Show

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

It was 2016 I meant, yes, they were pleasing on the eye but I suspect you are referring to their usual skip from that time, Anna Sidarova (she wasnt playing in that particular event but here is a pic as a reminder)

Photos - The Anna Sidorova Story - Sports India Show

Compares slightly better than rhona!

Good stuff for the first half.

One thing Im a bit disappointed by is having watched lots of curling disappointing not to see anyone fall on their arse on the ice. If one of the Japanese ladies could humour me, that would be appreciated.
It was off camera, but Eve helpfully posted this on Twitter this morning. [emoji23]

fd5bd00a346c8d4cef75603b5f89edf7.jpg

GB wheelchair curling having to bring in the replacement after one of the players toppled his chair and had to be stretchered off the ice. Tough gig for the replacement coming on to play 2 ends.

I've watched a few of the games and the skip has let them down a few times. They were 3-2 ahead after 5 ends, and were looking good to either steal or force a one at the 6th, but he was painfully short with both his stones to allow Canada to get their 2.