Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

25 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Am I being thick here but aren’t they through? Even if they lose, they’ll have the same record as Sweden and they beat them. It doesn’t say they’re qualified on the Olympic site, but not sure why

They are through to the semi finals now.....

Am I being thick here but aren’t they through? Even if they lose, they’ll have the same record as Sweden and they beat them. It doesn’t say they’re qualified on the Olympic site, but not sure why
They are through to the semi finals now.....
I did notice that they appeared to be guaranteed at least 4th, but wasn't sure what the tiebreak rules were if they lost tomorrow and ended up with the same record as Sweden. Iirc from previous games the places are decided by world ranking if they are tied. Can only think it's still the same as Canada are second but haven't yet qualified. That was a huge shock them losing to Australia.
ae4aec0d4e0edc9b0f56bfb36dddd6f4.jpg

Canada are only second in alphabetical order. For some reason they don’t bother to apply tiebreaks until the round robin is finished.

Ties are broken first by head-to-head, and if the can’t be used (say in a 3-way tie where all teams won 1 and lost 1) they use the Draw Shot Challenge (the same mechanism used to decide who gets last stone in the first end of a game in the RR)

GB has qualified because of wins over Canada and Sweden which guarantee we would come out favourably from any tiebreaker. Norway likewise. Canada have a poor H2H record and poor DSC so unlikely to win any tiebreaks. They will need to beat Italy and get to 6-3 to make the semi finals (Sweden only get in if Canada lose)

GB likely finish 2nd with a win and a Norway loss, 3rd with a win and a Norway win (or if GB lose but Canada also lose) and 4th with a loss and a Canada win.

Finishing 2nd means having last stone advantage in the first end of the SF, so hopefully they manage to do that. You definitely don’t want to stop to 4th as that would mean playing Italy in the SF. 

Prior to 2018 they actually played full tiebreaker games rather than looking at H2H/DSC but the addition of mixed doubles means there’s no time for that now.

World ranking is only used in the highly unlikely event that teams are tied on head to head AND their DSC average is EXACTLY the same. 

Current DSC for reference. Could come into play if GBR, Norway and Canada all win which may see us sneak second ahead of Norway (Norway automatically second if its GBR/NOR two way tie at 6-3 because of todays win over us, but if Canada also win we have a 3 way tie at 6-3 and 1-1 H2H so the DSC comes into play which could go our way)

https://olympics.com/beijing-2022/olympic-games/static/owg2022/pdf/OWG2022/CUR/OWG2022_CUR_C76D_CURXTEAM2-------------------------.pdf

Edited by Donathan

Very unusual to see a Canadian team fail to make the semi finals but it’s testament to how far curling has come on in other parts of the world.

Norway slight favourites to take the semi final IMO given their form and relatively comfortable win over Mouat/Dodds yesterday but the Scots did beat them in the world championship final so it could go either way.

Italy firm favourites for the gold medal. 

What is the powerplay they keep on about, please? Do you only get one each and you can use it any time?
Yes, one each. It means the stones that are placed at the start of the end will be off to the side rather than in the centre. I would think GB might use theirs next time they are throwing first.

Yes, seem in control and very comfortable.  Should they win this I would still fancy chances of Gold v Italy (likely)  When we played them I thought we were the better side and Italy ot a bit of fortune near the end.,

Great to think the mixed doubles is the starter to the main course of the Mens and Womes curling later this week - really enjoying the format and just love watching the curling on tv.  Disappointed I have no matches this week and look forward to a couple of games next week.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm watching this at work with no sound. What are the power plays? I've never seen that in curling before.

44 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

What is the powerplay they keep on about, please? Do you only get one each and you can use it any time?

30 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Yes, one each. It means the stones that are placed at the start of the end will be off to the side rather than in the centre. I would think GB might use theirs next time they are throwing first.