Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

Opening Ceremony on Friday but has already started. "Great Britain" (really Scotland) taking on Sweden in Mixed Doubles Curling. Live on Eurosport/BBC Red Button if that's your bag.

Looking forward to: snowboard cross, ski cross, any mad sport I haven't seen before.

Not looking forward to: shitey fucking ice dancing. Sadly, the BBC always feel the need to show every second of this tedious bollocks.

Anyone else watching? What events should we be keeping an eye on? Which athletes are likely to star? Will anyone make a Tibet/Xinjiang/Hong Kong political statement and start an international incident? 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Looking forward to the curling more than anything else...although can't quite get excited about the mixed doubles....all very new and will take a bit of getting used to.

There are a few local interests in cross country skiing and freestyle so will look out for them.  Otherwise I will take a passing interest in the skiing

Despite the fact the NHL continue to believe that "their" players should only play in their league and not play in tournament that they aren't running, I'm still looking forward to these Olympics, I'm happy to watch most ice hockey, regardless of who is involved. Not a fan of curling, hate how it is often prioritised over ice hockey in Scotland. It's also just not that interesting to watch, lawn bowling on ice.

Majority of the other sports are a good watch though, wishing Andrew Musgrave well in the cross country skiing

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Despite the fact the NHL continue to believe that "their" players should only play in their league and not play in tournament that they aren't running, I'm still looking forward to these Olympics, I'm happy to watch most ice hockey, regardless of who is involved. Not a fan of curling, hate how it is often prioritised over ice hockey in Scotland. It's also just not that interesting to watch, lawn bowling on ice.

Majority of the other sports are a good watch though, wishing Andrew Musgrave well in the cross country skiing

Utter nonsense...curling is a fantastic game to play and watch.  Whereas ice hockey thats just like hockey on ice.

Wonder if the BBC will pull the same shit as last time, i.e. totally ignoring live Ice Hockey matches in progress in favour of showing third and fourth repeats of highlights of speed skating heats that finished hours earlier. Fucking infuriating that they totally ignore one of the marquee events simply because GB aren't involved, yet are happy to fill the capacity they have with iPlayer etc with highlights of some upper-class public schoolgirl getting her arse handed to her ad infinitum.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Utter nonsense...curling is a fantastic game to play and watch.  Whereas ice hockey thats just like hockey on ice.

Might be fun to play, I'll give you that, wouldn't say no to giving it a try sometime, but it must be up there with golf in terms of "sports" that are sleep inducing to watch.

And yes, ice hockey is indeed hockey on ice, it's in the name. I personally I don't like how much ice time curling gets at a lot of rinks in Scotland compared to other ice sports, and how so many rinks were built with just curling in mind (Ayr, Kilmarnock, Hamilton) when they could have built them to accommodate ice hockey too.  It's hardly surprising that England are now producing players that are considered to be close to NHL talent, while Scottish kids are giving up the game because they have to train at 11pm to accommodate Agnes and Jeannie's curling game 

Hate Ice Hockey. Can never tell where the puck is, as it moves too fast. They should have a flashing puck.

Also get rid of those boring bits behind the goal, where 90% of the play seems to be.

Quite like Curling and would like to give it a try some day.

Favourite events are the Bobsleigh and the one like that, where they hurtle down on a tea tray.

9 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Hate Ice Hockey. Can never tell where the puck is, as it moves too fast. They should have a flashing puck.

Also get rid of those boring bits behind the goal, where 90% of the play seems to be.

Quite like Curling and would like to give it a try some day.

Favourite events are the Bobsleigh and the one like that, where they hurtle down on a tea tray.

Luge and skeleton are the tea tray ones - luge feet first, skeleton head first

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Have signed up to Discovery+ - apparently free through SkyQ - for a look at this, seeing as the BBC coverage of the Tokyo games was, at best, all over the fucking place. 

Goodbye sleep. 

The free version through SkyQ didn't include sport, during the Australian Open anyway. I had to pay for a separate subscription. That might have changed.

Curling and ice hockey are both great although one thing I’m not a fan of is that the Olympic ice hockey rules are more penal on fighting and hence you see less of it. Nothing makes the ice hockey enjoyable as much as the fisticuffs we see in the NHL. 

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The free version through SkyQ didn't include sport, during the Australian Open anyway. I had to pay for a separate subscription. That might have changed.

Tennis isn't a sport tho.

I can hear curling and ice hockey noises coming from downstairs. Will go look!

Scotland can win as many world and European championship medals as they like, it's only when they dress up as TEAMGEEBEE at the Wintalimpix that the BBC pay them any attention.

Fat, Sweaty Mike Bushell, on BBC Breakfast, even called it 'That sport that seems to come around every four years'. Naw it isnae, ya fat, sweaty pain, it's on all the time, Scotland are a world power, England are mince, and so the BBC usually ignore it.

Saying that Ice Dancing is boring while lionising curling is an utterly baffling position to take. 

I can't wait for the figure skating. It's fucking gorgeous. I'll probably give the downhill skiing a watch too as the quine in the studio says it's a fairly open field, with 15 chaps (they were just talking about the fellas, but the reasons she gave will probably apply to the women too) capable of winning gold. 

I'm a nordic ski nonce, so I'll try and watch a lot of that. The winter olympics are absolutely the best games. I don't give much of a shit about the new stuff (the funcy jump based skiing) and I only like the speed skating when somebody decks it, but the skiing, the ski jump and the ice ballet are what I'm getting excited about.

Utterly disgusting giving these games to China though. Brutal government akin to the Nazis tbh. This opening ceremony is classic "nothing to see here look at the shiny thing" distraction. I hope somecunt takes to the podium with some sort of protest placard. In fact, I hope that stuff is rife. Thomas Bach's response to China's human rights abuses was a bigger riddy than anything the Raith chairman came out with this week.

On 03/02/2022 at 08:57, Donathan said:

Curling and ice hockey are both great although one thing I’m not a fan of is that the Olympic ice hockey rules are more penal on fighting and hence you see less of it. Nothing makes the ice hockey enjoyable as much as the fisticuffs we see in the NHL. 

Bad news for you m8 Hockey fight statistics

If NHL players were at the Olympics you'd get fewer fighting and roughing penalties than normal anyway. Star players aren't going to risk injuring themselves at an international tournament.

I can only agree with previous complaints and hope that the BBC actually shows this properly this year. I don't think they managed to show the men's final in full in 2018. An absolute joke.