Thistle vs Queens - Tuesday 8th March

I guess that nobody is forcing Thistle to groundshare with anyone, be it The Warriors, QP or whoever.  The fact that the club has been keen to pursue this particular business stream over recent years probably indicates that it is a profitable venture.  Now I have zip knowledge of Thistle's finances, but it also perhaps indicates that it is an important income stream too, in the club's overall business plan - ie if they didn't need the income (which comes with the risk of damaging the pitch) then they wouldn't do it, would they?

So, if this is an important business stream for the club, then maybe investing in a quality (non-Palmerston type) artificial surface could be the way ahead?

PS - whilst on the subject of artificial pitches.  Did I read somewhere that you can have hybrid pitches (ie a mix of grass and synthetic) - and is this hybrid surface used quite a bit in rugby (eg Murrayfield or Scotstoun?) - or have I dreamed this up?

9 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So, if this is an important business stream for the club, then maybe investing in a quality (non-Palmerston type) artificial surface could be the way ahead?

PS - whilst on the subject of artificial pitches.  Did I read somewhere that you can have hybrid pitches (ie a mix of grass and synthetic) - and is this hybrid surface used quite a bit in rugby (eg Murrayfield or Scotstoun?) - or have I dreamed this up?

Hybrid pitches are increasingly common at top level sports venues.

There's a long list of them in this link

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

37 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Interesting.I notice the arse cheeks have such pitches but would imagine the cost may be prohibitive for less well financially endowed clubs .

Edited by I Clavdivs

28 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

That's wild. Some respectable Raith fans have had a terrible week but are still going to Stark's this afternoon having agonised over the morals of backing a club which signed a rapist. You're willing to boycott over the playing surface.

I would be yes. I'm sure plenty of other folk would be too. Certainly the 3 guys i go to Firhill with feel the same.

I'd say the state of the pitch is a fairly clear example of incompetent stewardship of the club by the current board/Chairman/CEO. - and it may well affect our chances of promotion this season.

Someone shared this under the club's facebook announcement.  Dear oh dear.

273303776_5161003257263845_4378437027536361318_n.jpg

18 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Thanks for the link - yep, that's some list.  Looking at the sort of stadiums using these hybrid pitches you certainly get the feeling that they're not cheap and are probably out of the reach of your average Scottish club.

46 minutes ago, Pat Boon said:

The day we switch to plastic is the day i stop watching Thistle.

Nah, doubt it.  OK I get that you're not a fan of plastic pitches, but let's face it if Thistle got a plastic pitch and had a decent side playing on it that was capable of promotion and better and was good to watch - then you'd be back along eventually to watch them.  We all say these things, but we love our clubs/football more than we love the pitches.

I'm beginning to come round to the idea, mainly because of the commercial benefits. The tech is improving all the time so we could probably afford a decent ane.
Looking forward to streaming this tomorrow. I hope Queens are as pish as their fans say they are. 

Meh. Apparently we don't make much money off our pitch. I always thought a big draw of a plastic pitch was so we could hire it out and make some extra income.

50 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Thistle obviously took the ground share money from QP not imaging they would have any chance of going up to the Premier League. But with how open the league is could be a disastrous decision.

I would be very surprised if that was the case. With our playing budget, making the play-offs would have been a reasonable target. 

The rental fee from the Spiders has offset part of the lost income caused by Covid restrictions and relegation to League One.

Even so, the state of the pitch is still disappointing and someone has to take responsibility for it. 

• R&Y99 changed the title to Thistle vs Queens - Postponed TBC
10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Meh. Apparently we don't make much money off our pitch. I always thought a big draw of a plastic pitch was so we could hire it out and make some extra income.

I'm sure the idea of us going to plastic was sold to the fans as being a good money earner. The man-in-the-know at Palmerston has since stated it is not such a money earner at all. This was about the time Heston  Rovers gave up hiring the pitch and questions were asked if it seriously impacted our income. The indoor pitches at The Arena are better money earners but closing down during Covid restrictions obviously severely hit that. 

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
39 minutes ago, Pat Boon said:
I would be yes. I'm sure plenty of other folk would be too. Certainly the 3 guys i go to Firhill with feel the same.

What's your reasoning?

I haven't enjoyed games at Hamilton & Killie. There's a chance that you are younger than me and have played on it yourself and that's why you are pro plastic. As i said, it's not for me.

29 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Nah, doubt it.  OK I get that you're not a fan of plastic pitches, but let's face it if Thistle got a plastic pitch and had a decent side playing on it that was capable of promotion and better and was good to watch - then you'd be back along eventually to watch them.  We all say these things, but we love our clubs/football more than we love the pitches.

You're probably right but my experience of watching Thistle play on them hasn't been enjoyable.

5 minutes ago, Pat Boon said:

I haven't enjoyed games at Hamilton & Killie. There's a chance that you are younger than me and have played on it yourself and that's why you are pro plastic. As i said, it's not for me.

You haven’t enjoyed us winning numerous times at Hamilton and Killie in the years they’ve had plastic pitches?

Are you saying that you have preferred watching us lose every time at Gayfield (a grass pitch)?

Are you sure they just weren't shite games? I mean, Killie and Hamilton...

23 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

You haven’t enjoyed us winning numerous times at Hamilton and Killie in the years they’ve had plastic pitches?

Are you saying that you have preferred watching us lose every time at Gayfield (a grass pitch)?

Ffs. Am i not allowed to have an opinion? Yes i'm more than pleased to win these games but don't enjoy games as a whole in these surfaces. End of.