Thistle vs Queens - Tuesday 8th March

An important three points last night in what was not a great game. Picking up another win in this one could start a bit of an important run of form for ourselves. 

Including the cup game both sides have beaten the other and drawn once, so it’ll be interesting to see how this one pans out. I do believe we have enough to win it though.

Unfortunately don’t expect much great football on our pitch Queens fans. 

Edited by R&Y99

1 hour ago, R&Y99 said:

An important three points last night in what was not a great game. Picking up another win in this one could start a bit of an important run of form for ourselves. 

Including the cup game both sides have beaten the other and drawn once, so it’ll be interesting to see how this one pans out. I do believe we have enough to win it though.

Unfortunately don’t expect much great football on our pitch Queens fans. 

Ah! A poor surface, Johnston will be writing that down already for his post match excuses. 

Queens have played better against us than the rest of the bottom half but obviously that doesn't help them much. 

Every home game we've played since Ayr at the start of October has had a maximum of two goals so expect more of the same here. Hopefully McAllister will be fit to play some part. 

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ah! A poor surface, Johnston will be writing that down already for his post match excuses. 

Surprised he’s not used it to explain why Queens have only won 2 league games at Palmerston in almost a year. 

Feels like our pitch is sapping the life out of games at the moment, the players must be frustrated as hell, you play a simple pass it bobbles twice and all of sudden you're under pressure to control it and move it on again. It's a turgid watch from a fans point of view as well. Honestly ground sharing is fucking bollocks. 

52 minutes ago, Flash said:

Surprised he’s not used it to explain why Queens have only won 2 league games at Palmerston in almost a year. 

I think it's a no - no at the club to criticise the pitch. It's a hollow excuse anyway when the opposition seem to master it better. 

50 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Feels like our pitch is sapping the life out of games at the moment, the players must be frustrated as hell, you play a simple pass it bobbles twice and all of sudden you're under pressure to control it and move it on again. It's a turgid watch from a fans point of view as well. Honestly ground sharing is fucking bollocks. 

I recall games at Firhill when you shared with the Rugby lot, it was reasonably flat to start but like a sandpit which cut up badly during the game. Is it just as bad or worse now?  To be honest some of our lot could play on a bowling green surface and still struggle to control and pass the ball. 

12 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

With state of the Firhill pitch just now I hope the club are cashing in and planting Maryhill Maris Pipers.

Organic quinoa would be more befitting of West End sensibilities .

Edited by I Clavdivs

I wonder if AJ will stick with a back 4 or switch to a back 3 (5 in reality)?  O'Connor has really struggled to date and Folarin looked way off the pace on Saturday, I'm not sure if the latter is due to fitness or ability.

If we have a full squad available bar Cochrane and McKay though injury, Gordon (eligbility) and Chima (invisibility) I would be tempted to start with

Rae

Johnston / Nditi / East / Cooper

Gibson / McGrory / Todd

Paton

Connelly / Cameron

AJ however will likely find a way of getting Nditi into midfield and shoehorning Liddle into the mix.

I wonder if AJ will stick with a back 4 or switch to a back 3 (5 in reality)?  O'Connor has really struggled to date and Folarin looked way off the pace on Saturday, I'm not sure if the latter is due to fitness or ability.
If we have a full squad available bar Cochrane and McKay though injury, Gordon (eligbility) and Chima (invisibility) I would be tempted to start with
Rae
Johnston / Nditi / East / Cooper
Gibson / McGrory / Todd
Paton
Connelly / Cameron
AJ however will likely find a way of getting Nditi into midfield and shoehorning Liddle into the mix.

Folarin certainly never lit the place up but in his defence we were absolutely awful across the park that day. You could probably count on one hand the number of times the front '3' touched the ball in that first half. At one point he did try and take it for a run but unfortunately the ball got stuck in between him and the pitch - and given I witnessed that happen to Dobbie on more than one occasion, I'm happy to put that down to our shite surface rather than the boy's control.

It's still early days for him but I'm not writing him off after half a game. If AJ keeps him sidelined (which will more than likely happen) it'll surely do him more damage than good.

52 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

The weathers not looking very good for Saturdays game, will the pitch cope with all the rain forecast.. Mudbath....🤦‍♂️ 

Yes,Groundsman and his staff doing a great job despite well documented over use of pitch to ensure optimum drainage of said rains .

46 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Is Fitzpatrick shit? Always looked very promising with us before he got his move to Norwich.

Imo yes. He's got some ability but doesn't show it/look interested often enough which frustrates fans. I wasn't surprised Norwich let him go and wasn't too happy when he rocked back up here after he was pretty meh in his first spell. He's not had much game time this spell tbf, picked up an injury and has mostly been benched since recovery, but very much a squad player now rather  than a probable starter. He did get the odd goal when he was here before but I would say " frustrating" sums him up.