Cove v Diamonds - 5 February

Definitely a better point for Cove than Airdrie, though they'll have been desperate to win and go 10 points clear. I thought it was a really good game overall, I was expecting it to be pretty cagey but the early goal probably made sure the game was quite open. Cove started the game stronger but Airdrie were well worth the point and towards the end it was Airdrie that looked most likely to score a winner. While both sides have played better this season, in terms of a match it's probably the best game I've seen this season in this league, two good teams creating chances and causing each other problems. It's pretty clear why both teams, as well as Montrose, are so far ahead of the rest of the league based on that. 

Both left backs were excellent. Harry Milne always causes us problems and he took his goal well. Brody Paterson was excellent on his first start and looks a much better option there than the guys we've had at left back so far this season. Megginson and McAllister both still caused problems at times but Airdrie did well at keeping them relatively quiet. 

Montrose dropping points against Dumbarton helps both teams out but we really need to go and beat them next week to ensure we keep up the pressure on Cove. It will be very tough to overtake Cove now but all we can do is keep winning and hope Cove drop more points.

Finally back home at 8.30 after good fish supper in Stonehaven. Our start was a real panic although it's hard to view from the wee shed steps so maybe Pixelott will help tomorrow. Could have been 2 down as Cove took our new defence by surprise. The curious thing was that we almost caught the goalie out , a crossbar stop and a real chance for Paterson. I can say that cos it was down at the shed.  We seemed to lose control when shots were on. Most around me feared that Cove would overun us but I thought we might get a grip. McCabe and Easton got up the park and while Cove got some good set plays I don't think they were as dangerous. Again I know Smith scored a good goal but don't ask me the lead up. Cove got pushed back and it did look as if they were happy with a point. Still all to play for as today's other results show ed. 

I was really fearful in the first 20 mins or so, they are a big strong team who can play a bit too.

But we built into the game well, and I think Seagal made the difference when he came on. The referee was terrible throughout.

and last thing...what chippie do you go to in Stonehaven?

Edited by Moon

1 hour ago, Moon said:

I was really fearful in the first 20 mins or so, they are a big strong team who can play a bit too.

But we built into the game well, and I think Seagal made the difference when he came on. The referee was terrible throughout.

and last thing...what chippie do you go to in Stonehaven?

I've been there and yet I can't recall the name! It's the one where the burn comes through the town about half a mile in. White and blue sign! It might suddenly come from deep in consciousness

It's not the Bay.

I don't think either side can begrudge the other a point a piece tbh.

Cove started like a steam train, we struggled to keep up for the first 20, and it was a well worked goal on the edge of the box finding its way through and a tidy finish. Both sides hitting the woodwork, McCabe's incredible effort from his own half and Currie making a couple of real class saves, the only surprise was there was only 1 goal for each side.

I just think Cove have too much experience in the ranks to throw away the league now, they're the most complete team in the league from defence to scoring. It's another week without a defeat but just feel the last 15 mins there was a chance maybe missed to turn the screw a wee bit I'm terms of the league.

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I don't think either side can begrudge the other a point a piece tbh.

Cove started like a steam train, we struggled to keep up for the first 20, and it was a well worked goal on the edge of the box finding its way through and a tidy finish. Both sides hitting the woodwork, McCabe's incredible effort from his own half and Currie making a couple of real class saves, the only surprise was there was only 1 goal for each side.

I just think Cove have too much experience in the ranks to throw away the league now, they're the most complete team in the league from defence to scoring. It's another week without a defeat but just feel the last 15 mins there was a chance maybe missed to turn the screw a wee bit I'm terms of the league.

Agree, draw was fair result in what was an entertaining game with chances galore. It lived up to the promise rather than two teams cancelling each other out.

From a Cove perspective we could have easily scored a second in the first 20-25 minutes of the game and it would have changed the dynamic of the game for both sides. I'd have struggled to see the Diamonds get back into after that.

2nd goal didn't come and Airdrie grew into the match creating many of their own chances. Second half especially, when Vigurs was walking, Airdrie started to have more control in the middle of the park and you could tell there was another goal coming. Airdrie got it, we inexplicable took off Rory, who was holding the ball up well, and Fyvie. The former change meant we had no outball and Mitch was completely isolated. Last 15 minutes it was Airdrie mostly like to get the winner.

Easton, who was man marked by Scully, and Frizzell were a joy to watch at times. McCabe solid. Brody a good addition at LB.

Our chances fell to the right people in Mitch, Rory and Fyvie but disappointingly they didn't slot them away.

We missed Shay down the right and this forced us to knock Blair out of his natural CM role. 

Anyway, onto Queen's Park next at home. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways. Airdrie at home to the Mighty Mo. A game I would love to watch as a neutral

Edited by CoveRangers1922

It's a fair summary from Cove 22 and it was probably Megginson having little support in that last period which let me relax a wee bit. I had often thought Vigurs got  a hard time from you but you were so right about his walking about in that period. It was also notable that Yule and Milne ( a super player) were less able to break through in the 2nd half. As to  the mighty Mo we are surely due to do better at home some time! Will QP carry on drawing or are they also due a win? Interesting days 

41 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It's a fair summary from Cove 22 and it was probably Megginson having little support in that last period which let me relax a wee bit. I had often thought Vigurs got  a hard time from you but you were so right about his walking about in that period. It was also notable that Yule and Milne ( a super player) were less able to break through in the 2nd half. As to  the mighty Mo we are surely due to do better at home some time! Will QP carry on drawing or are they also due a win? Interesting days 

Vigurs has some qualities as we all know. Can pick a pass, reads the game well at times and has a physicality about him but his weaknesses of lack of pace, loses possession too easily at times are detrimental. Gets found out more when we are playing a team who can keep the ball, pass it around and has creativity - very much Airdrie.

I think Fyvie can do Vigurs job and more hence why I feel although good to have him our CM just misses a wee spark.

Blair alongside Fyvie and if we can just agree to take Easton from you for a short term loan, before making permy he'd finish off a strong 3 man central midfield for us!!! (Dreaming clearly)

Last 15 minutes Airdrie backline was fairly comfortable so can imagine that period was less worrying than the first 20-25 minutes!

I fancy Airdrie to win next week. That being said Mo will be a different challenge. More regimented and will be difficult to break down. If we're more ruthless in front of goal I think we might get the win too although QP gave us a very good game at Balmoral last time around; ended 3-3 that day.

Edited by CoveRangers1922