Cove v Diamonds - 5 February

What a game this should be!

Our last few, specifically last 4, league performances haven't been hugely convincing. Had Mitch out for 2 of them, the Montrose game we lost Mitch, Shay and Vigurs to injuries in the first half and the recent Sons match on Saturday we weren't at our best. 3 wins and draw so can't complain about the points tally. About time we put in a performance to be proud of! 

Airdrie have been dominating games as of late and having impressive stats but can & will feel aggrieved to have dropped points in the their last two against Clyde and QP.

Saturday is the start of 5 out of our next 6 league games at home.

Hoping Shay is back and we take in a loan or two. Currently have no loanees and doubtful we'll find anyone like Tiffoney or Turner who will be a regular starter for us. Most like youngsters who will get minutes here or there.

A win for Cove would be huge. Physiologically 10 points clear might make many people think it's wrapped up but there would still be 12 games left so wouldn't be the case.

A win for Airdrie and it's back to 4 and the pressure on the next game intensifies.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

12 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

We can't afford to lose anymore ground so the pressure is really on us for Saturday

If Fyvie, Megason & McAllister could all pick up wee niggly injuries that would be a big help. lol

If that happens we'll turn to our bench and put on the big guns; Ola Adeyemo, Leighton McIntosh/Robbie Leitch 🙄

We'll need Rory and Mitch as Kerr, Fordyce or McCabe are strong CB options.

14 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Really not confident for this one, fancy cove to make it really difficult for us and I'm sure they'll be happy enough with a point. Low scoring game inbound!

That's what I'm thinking.  I'm in no way saying they'll all of a sudden turn into some kind of Catenaccio playing Italians from the 70's and 80's, but a physical, stop start game will suit Cove far more than us, and that's not a slur of any kind, its more a compliment that they appear to have the players that can turn to that when its required.

This game is very simple IMO, Don't win and its congratulations cove, good luck in the championship.

Win for us and its game on again.

Tough shift for us but I hope we don't play for a draw like last visit. On the weather front I assume it looks fine for Saturday. I was taken aback when TV last night said there was no power in Stonehaven, so I hope the chippy is back on for  our Fish supper. I think I predicted a draw  so I will hope to be wrong in our favour.

22 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That's what I'm thinking.  I'm in no way saying they'll all of a sudden turn into some kind of Catenaccio playing Italians from the 70's and 80's, but a physical, stop start game will suit Cove far more than us, and that's not a slur of any kind, its more a compliment that they appear to have the players that can turn to that when its required.

This game is very simple IMO, Don't win and its congratulations cove, good luck in the championship.

Win for us and its game on again.

I don't necessarily agree that it's win or bust although a win would give us an undoubted boost. I do believe however we require 4 points from our remaining two games against Cove to have any chance. 

Cove win - prepare for play offs 

Draw - We must win final game at Airdrie to have a slim chance 

Airdrie win - Cove still favourites but half a chance.

Pretty sure both teams will be going for the win but if it's a draw with 10 mins to go then both teams may not want to lose, probably Cove more so.

On 02/02/2022 at 13:32, Kenny_m said:

I don't necessarily agree that it's win or bust although a win would give us an undoubted boost. I do believe however we require 4 points from our remaining two games against Cove to have any chance. 

Cove win - prepare for play offs 

Draw - We must win final game at Airdrie to have a slim chance 

Airdrie win - Cove still favourites but half a chance.

Pretty sure both teams will be going for the win but if it's a draw with 10 mins to go then both teams may not want to lose, probably Cove more so.

I 100% can appreciate your optimism, it's purely IMO, I just don't see that cove team chucking away a 10 point lead (if it happened)

Agree with Adam Frizzell that it's a "must not lose" game and great news that Gabby McGill is back in the squad although I wouldn't expect him to start.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2122-news/220204/cove-rangers-vs-airdrieonians?fbclid=IwAR1fq2Sl2CZkYnu-dPhstKvPuBnlzn6pqS7qLtIjlG4YNCnHSyqAaCGM6NM

Edited by Kenny_m

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It's been said many a time by Diamond fans but this highlights it even more. 

I really like Gal, if he has either Mitch or Rory alongside him we would definitely be chasing and not leading the pack 

Screenshot_20220204-141017__01.jpg

In his first season he was impressive, him and carrick worked really well together and i think scored roughly 30 goals between them and that was when the season stopped in march. 

I thought him and Smith would work really well upfront this season but both been slightly inconsistent, both been quiet last few games i think Jordan Allan will most likely start on Saturday. Don't be surprised to see Gal on the bench.

6 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

In his first season he was impressive, him and carrick worked really well together and i think scored roughly 30 goals between them and that was when the season stopped in march. 

I thought him and Smith would work really well upfront this season but both been slightly inconsistent, both been quiet last few games i think Jordan Allan will most likely start on Saturday. Don't be surprised to see Gal on the bench.

I remember that well and he scored with regularity at Dumbarton before joining Airdrie. Callum Smith has looked lively when I've seen him this season. Thought that was an astute signing by Murray. 

I can't believe Jordan is only 23, although saying that he broke through at 16. He's got talent and is capable. He needs a certain type of striker playing alongside him I feel. Guess he needs regular game time as well. Scored a few at Cowden when he got a run of games.

Our lack of a consistent goal scorer is the only thing holding us back I would say. If we had a McAllister/Megginson type it would 100% make the difference for us because we create some amount of chances, and we don’t have a forward that can reliably stick them in the net. That said Jordan Allan when given a chance has shown that he can be ruthless in front of goal, his strike against East Fife in the first few minutes showed us that. Given the same chance, Smith I think puts it over the bar and Gal would hit it at the keeper. 

As exciting as Murrayball has been this season, I’d really settle for the most boring of draws in this fixture. It’s been said above but a Cove win gives them the title, sadly. I don’t for a minute think we’ll see a Morton-esque collapse again.